Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Ymir - City Builder/Civilization 4X/Pigmen  (Read 11059 times)

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ymir - City Builder/Civilization 4X/Pigmen
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 07:52:25 pm »

I think that the fact it's advertised as multiplayer only is a huge turn off still. The world map and combat shown in the video looks like one of those crap freemium games where you spend energy attacking each other for minimal gain (Clash of Clans, Stronghold Kingdoms, Forge of Empires and the like).

It's also only just now hitting Early Access 3 (nearly 4) years later. I wouldn't mind that so much if it didn't look like a PC build for a mobile game though. If you want a good single player city builder, check out Banished for more recent fare, or the old Sierra games on GOG (Pharoah/Cleopatra, Zeus/Poseidon and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom have all held up surprisingly well).

Yeah I watched a let's play from Nookrium. He played singleplayer, and even his own "units" AI was pretty bad.

For the old sierra games, out of those you listed...any you particularly recommend between them? I think Emperor one is regarded as the best, but it does seem like a lot of different preferences between them.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 08:28:20 pm »

Playing them in order tends to work the best. Pharaoh tends to be the most difficult of the three, Zeus is the easiest, and RoTMK inbetween. I personally like Zeus the best but that's cause I was bad at the series.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 04:09:12 pm »

I think that the fact it's advertised as multiplayer only is a huge turn off still. The world map and combat shown in the video looks like one of those crap freemium games where you spend energy attacking each other for minimal gain (Clash of Clans, Stronghold Kingdoms, Forge of Empires and the like).

It's also only just now hitting Early Access 3 (nearly 4) years later. I wouldn't mind that so much if it didn't look like a PC build for a mobile game though. If you want a good single player city builder, check out Banished for more recent fare, or the old Sierra games on GOG (Pharoah/Cleopatra, Zeus/Poseidon and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom have all held up surprisingly well).
But what if I want something that's a city builder and also a strategy game like this one purports to be?

Well, I suppose it comes back to the tragedy of city builders being more or less dead as a genre.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 12:26:54 pm »

There is a single player mode.

Been trying it out, set-up a server which is only available to friends, but I have no friends, so it works out to be single player.  I've died quite a few times cause reasons and barbarians.  I may have a better handle to not be deposed/wiped.  Until another curve ball probably.
I havn't made it past the tribal age yet, after leaving it on for hours.  So you can say its got some long term play going on.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 01:08:12 pm »

Have to say seems VERY interesting, I particularly like the civilization/society stuff. It would be cool if we could get a Bay12 server, BUT... not sure if worth $35.

It reminds me a bit of LoL (Land of Lords). Not sure I would want to play a fully open server, but like I said, could be tempted to purchase for an eventual Bay12 server.

EDIT: How freeform is the building? I see a lot of images of castles on Steam, do we have full control over the layout of our city(s)??? Castlebuilding is my jam, and honestly that could be persuade me to buy this thang.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:12:37 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 02:24:39 pm »

So the AI is bad? [I am only interested in singleplayer.]

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 02:28:24 pm »

I think this video does pretty well showing the game in singleplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cFTYZNNgqo

Ai did look kinda bad in that video, but rest of it looks decent. Can't really say without seeing more of the game though

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 02:42:14 pm »

Building things is freeform.  No terraforming, as far as I know.
A really nice feature, in my opinion, if you build on top of a tree, then later delete the building, the tree is back.  Same for all other special points, like animals for hunting and gathering spots.
Yes, you can build castles, you actually need to, to survive the barbarian raiders.  You'll take too much attrition damage otherwise.  (Though, it is more like a guarded warehouse, since the enemy tend to aim for the stockpiles.)

As for the AI... yea, don't expect them to build cities, my AI barbarian neighbor had 25 toolmaker shops built.  When they send attacks, those troops are conjured from the aether.  While you can waltz in and they have barely any defenders or none at all.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 02:50:43 pm »

I've gotten the game for myself. I am quite intrigued. The AI is... unwieldy to say the least. The military/squad system is a little dorky, but the city building (and the apparent civilization stuff) seems great.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 02:52:40 pm »

As for the AI... yea, don't expect them to build cities, my AI barbarian neighbor had 25 toolmaker shops built.  When they send attacks, those troops are conjured from the aether.  While you can waltz in and they have barely any defenders or none at all.

Okay, I am going to wait for AI improvements in that case. :) Thanks for the info!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 09:00:11 pm »

Okay, so I've just spent the past three-ish hours exploring the early-game single player. Here are some deets:

At its core, Ymir is about A.) building a strong agricultural base to support ever more developed economies. (more on this in a moment), and B.) ensuring your security through armies and defenses. After playing I stand by my statement that it is very Land of Lords-esque. Think LoL mixed with AoE and maybe a little Settlers thrown in there.

Economy and resource management seem to be at the forefront of the gameplay, with a focus on not only making self-sustaining cities, but later acquiring more land from which to support those centers of industry. After a somewhat slow hunter-gatherer start, you're off to the races once you research farming, which will allow you to start building up a standing army with which to explore, or at least a well equipped militia (which will ensure your safety for some time).

Speaking of research, I think that is, imo, the strangest aspect of the game... it appears to be a semi-random progression, with certain research options appearing based on what you lack (among other things). I.E. You struggle with gathering food, you will be able to research farming quicker. Running out of water, and wells become an option. etc. I don't think this is the only/deciding factor, but it does appear to play a significant part.

Combat is pretty simplistic. From a defending perspective you can have different armies (either actual standing armies or need-based militias) assigned to multiple defense zones and from what I gather use fortifications to keep your ranged units safe while they pick off the enemy (although I always seem to be losing one or two javelineers). As an attacker your options are basically go-right-at-them from what I can see--to be fair, I am still only in the early game. Combat is... bearable, I can see why people criticize the AI and I have to admit its probably the weakest part of the game rn.

EDIT: I should mention managing squads, garrisons, and force composition is pretty important too... you can get rebellions if you improperly maintain your forces.

There also seems to be a much larger strategic element about claiming land, exporting and importing goods, and grouping up that I have yet to scratch the surface of.

There is still a lot to be seen and done, so make of this info what you will, but I will give it a cautious recommendation. I think this game could be awesome.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 09:22:13 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

ivanovic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2019, 01:08:04 pm »

It reminds me a bit of LoL (Land of Lords). Not sure I would want to play a fully open server, but like I said, could be tempted to purchase for an eventual Bay12 server.

As a side note, the game's author Thibaud Michaud is a former player of Lands of Lords... He even ruled a kingdom called Ymir in Lands of Lords.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:10:59 pm by ivanovic »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 01:57:17 pm »

As a side note, the game's author Thibaud Michaud is a former player of Lands of Lords... He even ruled a kingdom called Ymir in Lands of Lords.
He was one of our 'enemies' in Lands of Lords.

And I didn't realize I need to short my pigs on water... for them to think about getting a well.  I always have plenty of water.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 02:34:12 pm »

Thats cool as heck actually. Ymir was that kingdom on the Eastern seaboard of the original continent in the North yea?

Also i've been playing a TON, I'd like to double down on my recommendation--the game opens up even further when you unlock the "economy", and multiple sites add an extra layer o strategy.

Also any interest in cooperative/just plain MP game @Zangi?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 02:45:24 pm »

Man I was all geared up to just dismiss this but you guys are making it sound fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5