Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Polls

Are
Dumb

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 45

Author Topic: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn!  (Read 56552 times)

Wofi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn!
« Reply #300 on: May 15, 2015, 11:49:40 pm »

Good fight Hugh, Crush will carry a scar on his arm for a long time. Sorry for your head.

Now I'm gonna have to buy Hugh a new skull. And a new arm. Those are expensive!

Good fight, though. I hope Crush is allergic to tomatoes.
Manager of Hugh Mann the Dabbler.
0-2-0

kiershar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 15, 2015, 11:54:28 pm »

I'm sure you can find proper replacement in the refuse pile.
- Crush bashes Hugh in the head with his silver maul and the injured part is crushed!
... NEXT
- Crush gores Cerol in the head with his left horn and the injured part collapses into a lump of gore!
... NEXT
- Crush bashes Pliskin in the head with his silver maul and the injured part exploded in gore!
... NEXT

Zach538

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 16, 2015, 12:16:22 am »

Karban Thunderhorn
Minotaur
140 points
Skills
Fighter adequate 9 pts.
Striker Proficient 60 pts.

Equipment
Bronze Halberd 60 pts.
Copper Gauntlets 10 pts
Total 139 pts

Just realized the tournament already started. oh well hopefully i can get in next time :D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:33:56 am by Zach538 »

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 16, 2015, 12:28:02 am »

Wow damn I thought that first good strike in secured Slippery the victory! Unfortunately the 70 subsequent shield bashes to the head were too much....amazing fight either way, I'm happy with Slippery either way

Amazing tournament. DF 4 EVER

vityav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 16, 2015, 12:35:18 am »

This tournament is amazing. Thanks for running it, Unraveller!

As am I chum, I'm really glad that I haven't screwn up this tournament and that you peoples are enjoying it. I'm planning on doing one or two more stages if I get around to it, any suggestions?

I don't know how well it would lend itself to the 1-Z level camera, but I always liked the fighting games where you could knock your opponent off an edge and down onto a lower platform, then continue the fight there.

Another idea: Water sources lining both/all sides of the arena constantly forcing everything towards a chasm, so if anyone is knocked off their feet they're swept away. (I was trying to think of something to create a constantly buffeting wave-pool in the arena, but I don't see any toggle-able features)

Edit: Some testing later shows that chasms don't work how I thought they did, and water sources have to be on an edge. I built a large water spout 3 levels up and had them start fighting on it. One threw the other off the slippery ledge by the foot, dove in after (I think), and then they both drowned. Will continue testing.

Edit 2: Put a large floor surrounded by fortifications under the "faucet". The fight inevitably ends up with people being thrown onto this floor, where either the water runs red with the blood of victory, or someone gets thrown through a fortification and drowns. Either way, success. Getting late so throwing progress so far on pastebin. I'm sure someone else can make it more elegant, if it's something you'd want to use: http://pastebin.com/Hi2dxPKf . Look in the lower left corner a few levels up, and just spawn fighters in that flume.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:16:59 am by vityav »

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 16, 2015, 06:58:45 am »

Ahhh, I'm loving these matches.

Honestly I wouldn't mind running one myself sometime, if it's this popular, since Unraveller mentioned only doing one a month.

And since I saw someone mention it last page, you're right, my art was missing from the front. In the meantime I decided to go ahead and take the sketch and work on it more, so have the original sketch of Varick and a colored version. I don't think anyone should be offended by me not having his outfit done...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:06:10 am by variablenonsense »
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 16, 2015, 07:20:25 am »

Aw man, I love the artwork and non-tradition Kobold look. The only thing I would say about running these is that I feel like putting a month in between gives everyone that little bit of anticipation and gives a good break between them. See if it were every week or as soon as the last one was done, it'd probably begin to drag on and die out quicker. At least that is my understanding.

This tournament is amazing. Thanks for running it, Unraveller!

As am I chum, I'm really glad that I haven't screwn up this tournament and that you peoples are enjoying it. I'm planning on doing one or two more stages if I get around to it, any suggestions?

I don't know how well it would lend itself to the 1-Z level camera, but I always liked the fighting games where you could knock your opponent off an edge and down onto a lower platform, then continue the fight there.

Another idea: Water sources lining both/all sides of the arena constantly forcing everything towards a chasm, so if anyone is knocked off their feet they're swept away. (I was trying to think of something to create a constantly buffeting wave-pool in the arena, but I don't see any toggle-able features)

Edit: Some testing later shows that chasms don't work how I thought they did, and water sources have to be on an edge. I built a large water spout 3 levels up and had them start fighting on it. One threw the other off the slippery ledge by the foot, dove in after (I think), and then they both drowned. Will continue testing.

Edit 2: Put a large floor surrounded by fortifications under the "faucet". The fight inevitably ends up with people being thrown onto this floor, where either the water runs red with the blood of victory, or someone gets thrown through a fortification and drowns. Either way, success. Getting late so throwing progress so far on pastebin. I'm sure someone else can make it more elegant, if it's something you'd want to use: http://pastebin.com/Hi2dxPKf . Look in the lower left corner a few levels up, and just spawn fighters in that flume.

Now I may just be dumb, but how exactly is it supposed to work? I've spawned gladiators in the fortification walled in floor, but no water ever flows onto it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:33:07 am by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 16, 2015, 07:36:41 am »

That's true I suppose. I was thinking more bi-weekly, because two weeks is still a decently long amount of time without a full month, but I suppose a month isn't that long.  :D

Also, thanks!

Rero Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 16, 2015, 08:11:20 am »

Although I would love to see more tournaments, I agree that bi-weekly or monthly is a good idea. It allows for a lot of anticipation, and thus more attention.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 16, 2015, 08:25:19 am »

Well, I have been planning on doing it monthly. But that certainly doesn't mean that anyone cannot host one whenever they want. I believe they should just keep in mind that having the tournaments so close together isn't that great of an idea. Perhaps a team tournament would be interesting!

angrykitteh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 16, 2015, 08:54:19 am »

Oh yeah! Team tournament would be a great fun!

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 16, 2015, 09:25:20 am »

If you wanted some kind of schedule on it, what about a bi-weekly alternating tournament sort? Of course, I don't want to stop anyone else from organizing one, but that seems like it would be a good balance of anticipation and participation, if enough people enjoy coming up with new builds.

What I mean is like:

Week 1 of month: Individual elim tourney.

Week 3 of month: Team tourney?

I thought about suggesting round robin but that would take a while, so that would kinda be up to the organizer, but just alternating team and individuals might work pretty well.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 16, 2015, 09:39:21 am »

It is a great idea, and I certainly wouldn't stop anyone from organizing it, though I wouldn't want to host it. I'd rather just spend the one week on my monthly single elimination tourney and have the rest of the month to do other things.

With that said, if anyone were to organize a team tournament, I'll happily corroborate and aid them in anyway possible.

I'd like to begin the losers qualifiers in an hour or so.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:55:59 am by Unraveller »

Tesseract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 16, 2015, 11:21:08 am »

I think that monthly is enough for the "official" tournament. That way we have time to anticipate, test some builds, etc.

It could be cool to sometimes impose restrictions, for example, having large beasts only tournaments, or with specific weapons, or even random things !

Edit: Is it possible to expand the available creatures to have a divers pool to chose from ? I like the idea of having to chose from a different roster each time.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:26:29 am by Tesseract »

Rero Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 16, 2015, 11:29:10 am »

What about a tournament with a massive amount of points, where you purchase multiple gladiators, and possibly large beats? Like, army vs. army. I'm not sure how well that would work due to retarded AI, but it might be fun to try.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 45