Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Polls

Are
Dumb

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45

Author Topic: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn!  (Read 56461 times)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn!
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2015, 11:36:08 pm »

Right, but here is where I have a dilemma, way back on the first page I promised FearsomeClarinet that there would be plenty of time to wait and make their gladiator. And as it turns out there was not, do I simply say better luck next time? Or find a way to include them?
I've lost control of my life.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2015, 11:39:11 pm »

I say wait. This thread has only been up for 12 hours - surely there are many who would participate, but simply haven't checked the forums. The rate of new entrants has been pretty steady, and it will probably continue.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

nate.219

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2015, 11:40:19 pm »

A fight to the death for all competitors who are over the limit? like a large all out war?

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2015, 11:41:01 pm »

I wish to enter Narhtan the Crundle Bundle

Class: Crundle.                360p

Skills:
  -Professional dodger  180p
  -Proficient biter.           60p
  -Skilled lasher              50p
  -(novice?) Swimmer    2p
  -Competent armor user 12p
Items:
  -Iron whip.           29p
  -leather shirt.      12p
  -leather helm.      6p
  -leather graves.    9p

I hope his high dodging will be able to account for his lack of strength/squishyness.
Also sign him up for any/all exhibition matches, I'm keen to watch him (hopefully) whip it, whip it gooood.

I am so glad that someone is playing a Crundle!

All right, that settles it, I just cannot turn people down. There will be more than 16 gladiators, tomorrow, when I wake up, I will likely lock the sign ups however. I can find a way to include everyone into the bracket. I cannot have any gladiators go through more fights than any others, or else there would be a disparity in their power.

I'm think that there will have to be some preliminary round to determine who gets one of the sixteen spots in the bracket. Right now, I need suggestions.

EDIT: Perhaps you are right. The problem is that I am a little daunted by running a 32 man tournament. Though you really bring a good point.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:42:49 pm by Unraveller »

Tesseract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2015, 11:49:21 pm »

I can't draw, here is a shitty serpent-men battlesong about how Pliskin the Miasmagnificient will eat Steapa the northman !

https://soundcloud.com/fabien-29/plissssskin-eats-the-northman

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2015, 11:58:26 pm »

I sure do love how people are already creating media for a game that hasn't even begun yet. Bravo!

kiershar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2015, 12:01:24 am »

16 is alright, there can always be another tourney. From what I read from previous gladiator tournament, if it drags on too long it causes problems. But really I don't mind whatever happens, just my opinion. Also there can be more, they just get free pass at either round 1 or 2.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:03:39 am by kiershar »
- Crush bashes Hugh in the head with his silver maul and the injured part is crushed!
... NEXT
- Crush gores Cerol in the head with his left horn and the injured part collapses into a lump of gore!
... NEXT
- Crush bashes Pliskin in the head with his silver maul and the injured part exploded in gore!
... NEXT

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2015, 12:04:49 am »

See, that was my thought earlier and the problem I am facing, I don't want this to drag on and become a bore. But I cannot tell the people who've been accepted to make some room.

So, tourney you suppose the viability is of having a 16 gladiator tournament, and afterwards hosting anotherfor those that were unable to participate in the first?

Another idea I had, if this gains popularity, I could hold one monthly or perhaps annually, and have a large qualifying round for the 16 spots. After 16 months the champions from each tourney could enter a gtand champion ship tournament.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:19:26 am by Unraveller »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2015, 12:21:21 am »

I vote for 16. Late joiners can be in the next tournament.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

BigHatLogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2015, 12:23:38 am »

16 is a good limit. I like the idea of this tournament so maybe a second one could be hosted at a later date.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2015, 12:24:55 am »

There are two roads I'd like to go down.

The first, late joiners will be able to enter thr next tournament.

The second, and I prefer this one, everyone who has signed up until, say 24 hours after the post was made will be placed in a qualifying round. This can be changed, though I like the idea and I feel it is fair. Though criticism will be welcomed.

I feel the 16 gladiator tournaments seem more personal, more grudges, more interaction, more familiarity.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:26:38 am by Unraveller »

nate.219

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2015, 12:31:53 am »

I like the idea of a qualifying round but it might take a while. It would be pretty cool to have an all out war and only one survivor, however posting combat reports would be time consuming...

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2015, 12:33:41 am »

For the qualifiers I could pass through it with less descriptiveness, mostly allowing the gif and combat log speak for me.

Tesseract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2015, 01:34:14 am »

The descriptiveness should be proportional to the importance of a fight. Just logs and gifs for qualifiers, small descriptions at first, and bigger description for the finals.

Depending on how much trouble it is to organize the tournament, monthly could be cool. Some months could have special conditions, like all fights on the bridge, or random weapons, team fights, etc.

By the way I don't follow sports a lot. How does qualifiers work usually ?

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2015, 01:51:02 am »

Well, whatever you decide to do with gladiators 17-32, I'm throwing my hat in the ring. Presenting...

Myrma the Defi-ant
Soldier Ant Woman (250 pts)
Equipment:
- Oaken Shield x 2 (90 pts)
- Silver Buckler x 2 (60 pts)
Skills:
- Skilled Shield User (40 pts)
- Skilled Misc. Object User (30 pts)
- Competent Dodger (30 pts)
Points left: 0 pts

A little silly, I know. But I'm hoping she'll be a crowd-pleaser.

Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45