Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oddities with negative thoughts?  (Read 1414 times)

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
  • Stumbling belligerence-first through life.
    • View Profile
Re: Oddities with negative thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 12:20:00 pm »

A legendary dining room helps a fair bit, I think. Legendary meals do as well. Having a mayor who's good at dealing with people yelling at him/crying at his shoulder probably helps as well. If there are many dorfs in his therapy queue (they're listed as scheduling/conducting a meeting, or somesuch in the jobs list) you should probably relieve him of all other jobs. note that a mayor can actually appoint a replacement for himself, which I do at every election to get someone who won't generate a lot of stupid construction mandates, but it can also be used to switch to someone who's likely to be a good Dwarf Therapist :)
Breaking up parties involving stressed dorfs is probably not a good idea.

If you do run out of haulers due to madness, new immigrants ought to appear to replace them, unless your fortress is full of children that keep the population above the immigration cap (and if that's the case, new haulers will mature within 12 years).

Well I have 40 children currently, but if I lose another ten haulers I should get another migrant wave that'll probably be huge because my exports have been massive. :P I think I might spam cage traps for a few years so the decrease in death will reduce stress. I could also use the prisoners as "emotional painkillers" by making civillians kill a few goblins until they get trauma hardened. :P

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 12:48:49 pm »

The immigration wave won't push your pop over the cap, so if 10 puts you under it, at most 10 could come.
It used to be fairly easy to get dorfs to be numb to witnessing death, as far as I've heard. Now, however, that's fairly hard. If you're suffering from a high stress level already, that's probably not a good approach.

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 01:03:40 pm »

The immigration wave won't push your pop over the cap, so if 10 puts you under it, at most 10 could come.
It used to be fairly easy to get dorfs to be numb to witnessing death, as far as I've heard. Now, however, that's fairly hard. If you're suffering from a high stress level already, that's probably not a good approach.

Really? Because in the previous version you could be one dwarf below the cap and get a 70+ migrant wave (of course with the additional tendency for 3/4 of those to be children)
And what I noticed was that my soldiers were getting hardened on average after 2-3 kills, so are you sure on that? Or is there another aspect that's making my soldiers harden so fast? Could sparring be hardening them, perhaps? (if so I could shuffle my haulers through boot camp until they're hardened without too much difficulty)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 01:33:09 pm »

I'm fairly sure the pop cap is a hard limit for immigration (births at a borderline time might shift the number by 1 or so. Royal immigration doesn't count here).
I think becoming hardened is connected to the discipline skill, so military training ought to help. Haven't explored that myself, though.

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 01:45:27 pm »

I'm fairly sure the pop cap is a hard limit for immigration (births at a borderline time might shift the number by 1 or so. Royal immigration doesn't count here).
I think becoming hardened is connected to the discipline skill, so military training ought to help. Haven't explored that myself, though.

Last I read it's a hard cap once it's crossed, but that the outpost liaison has to get back to the mountainhome before the limit is actually respected, and that if you're below the limit you certainly used to still get large migrant waves. Maybe that's changed, I haven't honestly tested it since 0.4.

Well then I'll do some tests with sending haulers to boot camp. Hopefully it gives them some good discipline rather than just making them more skillful rioters ;)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 02:18:38 pm »

I've never received an immigration wave that crosses the threshold. Instead, I tend to get a small second to last wave, and then a final wave consisting of a single immigrant. I use small fortresses, though, with a pop cap of 50.

Good luck with your newly deadly rioters...

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2015, 02:40:17 pm »

I've never received an immigration wave that crosses the threshold. Instead, I tend to get a small second to last wave, and then a final wave consisting of a single immigrant. I use small fortresses, though, with a pop cap of 50.

Good luck with your newly deadly rioters...

Well if you started playing in this version, perhaps that's how it works now :)

Thanks man, if only I had adamantine... I could give my haulers adamantine warhammers so they didn't hurt anyone when they got angry. :P A riot turns into a team-building exercise.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2015, 02:58:29 pm »

Featherwood crossbows (with no bolts) or featherwood training swords should work well too. Wooden crossbows (of the lightest kind of wood available) are probably the best choice, though, if no candy is available.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2015, 06:20:34 pm »

I propose renaming adamantine into 'whiffle'.  Everything's funnier that way.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 04:29:31 pm »

There is a soft cap and a hard cap for immigration now (with separate values in the init).  As I understand it, you should never exceed the hard cap, but the soft cap only applies if the liason reports your population (like the old population cap).

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 05:20:46 pm »

Also, the soft cap only effects migrants. Births can keep happening in your fortress all the way up to the hard cap. The only thing I know of that ignores the hard cap is that you can still have the monarch and outpost liaison move in if you meet the criteria to become the capitol, even while already at the hard cap. But it seems like you don't get any of their family members or the royal guard if you would end up over the hard cap because of it.
Pages: 1 [2]