Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Sex  (Read 8762 times)

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Sex
« on: May 11, 2015, 11:50:32 am »

I've noticed something disturbing.  I haven't documented it properly with control-forts to be proper SCIENCE, but...

I've noticed that forts without dining rooms or statues are forts without babies.  As soon as I build a dining room or a statue garden, within a year, babies start to plop out all over the place.

I did try locking a pair of dwarves into a burrow with beds.  No babies appeared.

Am I correct in assuming that, despite dwarves sharing a bed once they marry, that the dwarves only ever have sex in the dining room or on top of statues?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Sex
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:57:08 am »

It's because having a dining room encourages them to get to know each other and get married.  Without that, they tend to interact less and form fewer relationships.

I think they actually reproduce by airborne spores, like most animals.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 12:06:19 pm »

Animals dont reproduce with spores anymore. They need to have contact for that to work since last update.

Whenever or not that counts for Dwarfes as well remains to be tested.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 12:06:57 pm »

Hmm, interesting. I think It's mostly because dwarfs are together at those places, and they just don't give a fuck about who's watching.

It's because having a dining room encourages them to get to know each other and get married.  Without that, they tend to interact less and form fewer relationships.

I think they actually reproduce by airborne spores, like most animals.
Definitely supporting the forming of relationships arguments, but not the spore stuff. This used to be the case, but IIRC since 40.something all creatures need to be together to mate.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 12:48:59 pm »

My avatar is strangely relevant now I think.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 02:06:06 pm »

Modesty would be an interesting stat to add. Some dwarves wouldn't want to do things in public, so by restricting privacy access you could restrict birth rates.

Although, this might lead to "Urist, what were you and Tholtig doing down in the caverns alone?"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 02:13:28 pm »

*Tholtig turns to Urist*

"Chopping wood?"

*Urist nods*

"Aye, we were chopping wood."

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 04:50:25 pm »

They must rub beards to procreate.  Adjacent thrones allow beard rubbing to happen often.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 05:25:55 pm »

They must rub beards to procreate.  Adjacent thrones allow beard rubbing to happen often.

What about statues though?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 08:05:47 pm »

What about statues though?

It was never said as to what the beards need to be rubbed WITH....

Plus, plenty of those statues have beards, if you want to get picky about it.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 08:24:08 pm »

The effects of dining halls and statue gardens is purely down to relationship-building. If you have a dining hall, dwarves with the "on break" labor will mill around, forming relationships with each other. If you don't have a dining hall, dwarves on break will hang out in their rooms, never building relationships.
Without relationships, there are no dwarf babies.

I used to always go no-dining-hall and no-statue-garden on evil biomes because its a great way to prevent tantrum spirals, since your dwarves hardly know each other, and don't care if their co-workers die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 09:20:56 pm »

Oh bloodgod, I just had an awful thought... when you enter a world-gen fortress as an adventurer you often find that the inhabitants of a given room aren't always spaced around making use of the open areas available, preferring instead to clump up in a pile here and there.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 02:53:46 am »

So dwarves have a furniture fetish.

Considering how happy it makes them to be next to nice furniture, that's perfectly in-character.

Heh. Statue boner.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 09:15:31 am »

Wonder if they feel the same about floor engravings.  :P

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 09:29:09 am »

If you don't have a dining hall, dwarves on break will hang out in their rooms, never building relationships.
Without relationships, there are no dwarf babies.

Rooms?  Dwarfs are supposed to have rooms?  Normally they just hang out at the wagon.  I have to keep the wagon, too, if I don't, then the migrants just stand on the edge of the map until something eats them.  And wagons are no good for making babies.
Pages: [1] 2 3