Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37

Author Topic: Roll To Space Pirate. Rebooting a Pair of Boots and a Parrot. (Players wanted~)  (Read 60355 times)

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Would the plasma bubbles I had on my Plasma Crocodiles work? Plasma contained within a shell, which can travel through the air for a while before bursting.
It's kinda based off a game I played, they used a quick plastic coating instead. I'm still not sure what kind of plastic would suffice.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

I'm just pointing out that without a missile designed to ionize the air, you'll get air friction with the plastic bubble. Was the game you played by any chance UFO: Alien Invasion? I recall they had that sort of justification for the plasma weapons.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Technically could do something similar to an electrolaser, Fire a highpowered laser to ionize the air before launching the plasma bolt through the ionized conduit.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see the bonuses as follow:
+/-1 = Good.
+/-2 = Great.
+/-3 = It's your job and you had a good teacher.
+/-4 = You're pretty much the best in local space at this.
+/-5 = You're the Bruce Lee of this skill, nobody will ever surpass you in this area, now or ever.
I thought that 1-3 meant Average Joe, 4-6 meant Professional, 7-9 meant impossible without augmentation/Bruce Lee.

SPACE ZORRO
:P

No you would not end up with a plasma gun if you were given a shitty weapon that doesn't work but your character sees as a weapon, at best you would get a low powered welder. Plasma guns don't shoot bolts of plasma, they shoot pellets full of plasma that rupture on impact. Your power does not produce additional mechanical constructs, only improves existing ones.
That was a joke. I immediately proceeded that with "or (what will actually happen) it won't assimilate." But seriously, I get a welder from a cap gun? Cool. I'm ok with just not being able to assimilate it, though, if you want to nerf me a bit further.

Solution for the power armour debate: don't call it such. If it's just a suit of medium armour that requires no power for plain movement, it's just a suit of armour, not power armour. Granted, it has some nifty extra features that do use power, but there is no such thing as an unpowered power armour.
Actually yeah, this. This is what I want. Can I get this, Kevak? I'm ok with having breakable armour but I'd prefer this. I can even halve max bonuses. I just thought I could take what I got considering we have Type 1 and Type 2 civs. On a side note, what's the type of armour that IcyTea31 is referring to?

Wait, if planetworms exist, then how come space dragons can't?

Planetworms are massive worms that dig down into the mantle to get the momentum to jump out of orbit, drift for a month or two, and smash into another planet. Space dragons have nothing to fly with in space.
Planetworms are a type of space worm - worms that live in space i.e. not Earth. Space dragons live on planets that aren't Earth. What you're thinking of are void dragons.

Kevak, I'm like 90% certain they were referring to a fly SWATTER with the whole weapons thing.
I thought he was talking about using a fly as a weapon. :-\

Is there any chance I can get Full Bonus Optional for +/-6 Mastery if I trade it off by removing Weapon Improvement? It can still decay once it leaves my hand, if necessary. Another thing - would a weapon decay quickly enough that I can't realistically use bows, guns, etc.? I'm cool with have thrown or bow/equivalent weapons decaying too quickly to be used but I'd like to keep guns.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 05:06:54 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In order:

1-2 is somewhat proficient in a skill. Normally the average joe is proficient in 1-3 skills.

3-4 is professional. Normally a professional is proficient in 1-3 skills and a professional in 1-2 skills.

5-6 is augmented or savant. Normally there are tradeoffs for having skills in this range. KX9 for example usually have memory deficits or certain emotional extremes depending on the type. Augmented usually have 1-4 proficient. 1-3 professional, and 1-2 augmented. Savants usually have 2-4 augmented and nothing professional or proficient.

No you wouldn't get a welder from a cap gun, you would get a cap gun that has shaped caps. Still gonna be utter shit. Maybe a 0.1 normally and a 0.3 when modded. Not many existing structures to improve. You could get a welder from a partly broken laspistol though so long as the structures aren't broken.

Planetworms don't normally live in space. They live in the mantle of planets. Occasionally in the crust as well. They can grow to lengths that allow them to launch themselves out of orbit however, and have good enough senses to identify and target planets. They go into pseudocomas during the spacetravel phase to lower energy used. Obviously they travel pretty damn slowly though compared to ships.

You'd still have the mandatory + bit, being unable to get anything besides a perfect crit is sorta OP.

Lowtech weapons will decay within a day or two. Hightech ones will decay within a week or two. There may be ways to upgrade later to prevent a single chosen weapon from decaying, but for now, weapons will decay.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Technically could do something similar to an electrolaser, Fire a highpowered laser to ionize the air before launching the plasma bolt through the ionized conduit.

That's a really good idea, I feel like stealing it. ;)

Although the setup might run into issues with alignment and recoil. It depends on how fast air ionizes and returns to ground state.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Prolly fires both from the same barrel. Laser pops down into chamber and fires, before popping out of the chamber and the plasma bolt fires, likely in extremely quick succession. Obviously the laser part would eventually melt from the plasma bolts being fired, so that would be disposable, as would the barrel itself.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Planetworms don't normally live in space. They live in the mantle of planets. Occasionally in the crust as well. They can grow to lengths that allow them to launch themselves out of orbit however, and have good enough senses to identify and target planets. They go into pseudocomas during the spacetravel phase to lower energy used. Obviously they travel pretty damn slowly though compared to ships.
By "space" I just meant not Earth. If it's a worm that lives on Earth, it's a worm. If it's a worm that lives on a planet that ISN'T earth, it's a space worm. If it lived in the mantle of the planet Orgon IV for its entire life, it would be a space worm. That's what I mean by 'space X' anyway. When I refer to something that lives in actual space, I use 'void' rather than 'space', though that is pretty confusing. Is there a better prefix? Are there non-Earth, non-void dragons that live on planets that aren't Earth?

Lowtech weapons will decay within a day or two. Hightech ones will decay within a week or two. There may be ways to upgrade later to prevent a single chosen weapon from decaying, but for now, weapons will decay.
O_O Does it really decay that slowly!? I was expecting to have to pick up a new weapon every hour at least! Hold on, if the decay is that slow, then how come I can't use throwing weapons?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

I'm unsure how effective Pippy would be against people.
On one hand she has a rocket launcher, C4, an assault rifle, and a chainsaw.
On the other hand, she has no sci-fi weaponry, and no armor whatsoever.

I'm not even sure if she could even hurt a KX9 considering how OP they are.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A worm launching itself out of orbit seems extremely durable. I don't think its hide would be made up of ANYTHING a handheld tool could cut.

I mean, it wouldn't be planetcracker-level stronk, but it would at least cause major earthquakes and tsunamis on whatever planet it's launching itself off of.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A worm launching itself out of orbit seems extremely durable. I don't think its hide would be made up of ANYTHING a handheld tool could cut.

I mean, it wouldn't be planetcracker-level stronk, but it would at least cause major earthquakes and tsunamis on whatever planet it's launching itself off of.
And the planet they evolved on is a deathworld of high caliber, lets not forget that~

I'm unsure how effective Pippy would be against people.
On one hand she has a rocket launcher, C4, an assault rifle, and a chainsaw.
On the other hand, she has no sci-fi weaponry, and no armor whatsoever.

I'm not even sure if she could even hurt a KX9 considering how OP they are.
Pippy wouldn't be able to kill a Combatform or Combat node of KX9 or Kirvėk respectively. However she could both hurt and kill noncombatant KX9 or Kirvėk. As for the Tālshik, it's a bit hard to even hurt them. Even the other two major races have difficulty.

By "space" I just meant not Earth. If it's a worm that lives on Earth, it's a worm. If it's a worm that lives on a planet that ISN'T earth, it's a space worm. If it lived in the mantle of the planet Orgon IV for its entire life, it would be a space worm. That's what I mean by 'space X' anyway. When I refer to something that lives in actual space, I use 'void' rather than 'space', though that is pretty confusing. Is there a better prefix? Are there non-Earth, non-void dragons that live on planets that aren't Earth?

O_O Does it really decay that slowly!? I was expecting to have to pick up a new weapon every hour at least! Hold on, if the decay is that slow, then how come I can't use throwing weapons?
You need the weapon to be in your possession to keep its bonus. Technically you could throw stuff, you just wouldn't get a bonus for it. Lowtech weapons decay within a day or two. Hightech (the kind of weapons with +4-5 or so) will decay after a week or so.

There are several nonvoidnonearth dragons. However none can really survive in space, to be a spacefairing creature, you need to be able to direct your flight, sustain yourself, and upkeep your mass.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Bio-engineered space 'dragons' that use cyborg propulsion systems and eat small (as in, fucking tiny) ships?
Black lives matter.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

I gotta work more on H. And I got some stuff to deal with before then.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

I think what you're looking for is 'extraterrestrial'. Bulky, but it's something.

And yes, that can be referred to something that lives in space, but generally means "is on a non-Earth planet".
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bio-engineered space 'dragons' that use cyborg propulsion systems and eat small (as in, fucking tiny) ships?
Ships are normally pretty big, space is pretty damn huge. Not plausible.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37