Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37

Author Topic: Roll To Space Pirate. Rebooting a Pair of Boots and a Parrot. (Players wanted~)  (Read 60247 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

• Electromagnetic pulses. Surge protectors or not, the power armour stops working properly for a long while, and you'll be facing a highly skilled but barely mobile opponent.
I won't comment on whether that's a weakness of the armour (let's just say you guys recognise it as a brand) because it might have secret augmentations of its own, but that's not really one of "Knight's" weaknesses.
I forgot to mention while responding but disabling the armour won't do much. It's made using space alloys which means it's both light and durable. If the "power" of the power armour were turned off I'd be wearing a suit of armour that takes -1 agility away. This is before the effects of whatever secret augmentations the armour may or may not have.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

Isn't the whole point of power armour that the powered servos allow it to be much heavier than the user could normally wear?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

Isn't the whole point of power armour that the powered servos allow it to be much heavier than the user could normally wear?
this.
powered armor includes an exoskeleton that amplifies the user's movements and allow the user to move the powered armor despite its absurd weight. usually when power is removed the suit is "locked down" in whatever position the user was in at the time, and the user is unable to move, but is still protected, and against some attacks is actually more protected than they would be normally.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Eh, I actually have some first hand experience regarding electrical motors (taught in class).
For a motor to reach an instant dead stop, you'll have to deploy the brakes.

Basically, unless the armor's motors have built in brakes, the motor will simply not work, you can still move, but without the aid of the motors.
Shut off a motor, and the axle still spins due to momentum, you have to have a kinetic brake to stop in instantly.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

Hey, I give fluff, naughty fluff is fluff, so I give that too.

Besides, I'm not the craziest here, that award goes to Kevak (Steam chat gets quite weird).
Trust me. It can get weirder. You should have seen the chat room Kevak ran a while back. *shudders*
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

Basically, unless the armor's motors have built in brakes, the motor will simply not work, you can still move, but without the aid of the motors.
Correct, but nobody can move without aid while encased in 300 kg of armour plating.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Okay, 2 things.

1. You can move, the support is granted by the armor, you're just not going anywhere in a hurry.
2. Good luck with the catwa- *falls through floor* ... There's drawbacks to wearing a quarter ton of armor.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Maybe the reason there's no space dragons is because: Nobody has made them yet.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

"There is/are no x" doesn't mean "There can't be x".
Black lives matter.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

Correct, but nobody can move without aid while encased in 300 kg of armour plating.
Okay, 2 things.

1. You can move, the support is granted by the armor, you're just not going anywhere in a hurry.
2. Good luck with the catwa- *falls through floor* ... There's drawbacks to wearing a quarter ton of armor.

I think the arms would weigh, what, ~40 kg each?
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

the armor itself is the brakes. there's a reason you need the servos to move the thing. once the servos lose power, the armor is going to stop. brakes locking it in place simply amplifies this effect, resulting in the lockdown design I mentioned
alternately, if the armor doesn't provide resistance to the servos, then guess what: the knees don't have anything to hold them up anymore once you lose power! enjoy your unexpected and rather painful faceplant as your armor goes "limp" and I hope you aren't stuck in too unnatural a position or break anything important like your spine as you fall down with zero control of your body's motion. after all: gravity is a heartless bitch.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

I just don't see people installing brakes in the servos, would be really bad if a single wire goes bad and your knee locked up, and you'll have to limp back to a mechanic to get it fixed.

Anyway, the thing is, in the case we're talking about, it's not just an average human, it's a trained power-armor wielder.
That means knowing how to handle the suit being shut off, either by forced movement, or just getting out of it.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile

SPACE ZORRO
thincake

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

I just don't see people installing brakes in the servos, would be really bad if a single wire goes bad and your knee locked up, and you'll have to limp back to a mechanic to get it fixed.

Anyway, the thing is, in the case we're talking about, it's not just an average human, it's a trained power-armor wielder.
That means knowing how to handle the suit being shut off, either by forced movement, or just getting out of it.

Brakes are useful if you don't want your motors to have to constantly be running to stay up.

At least, that is my understanding of motors. I thought servos always had some sort of resistance?

You could maybe work against the brakes to "fall," if your power armor locks up and you want to play dead or something.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Have you seen the exoskeleton the US army showed off? It's the one which has to be wired to supply the power.
It has to always have the motors on, running current through them, which is why it consumes so much power.

Imagine it like being a car without brakes, you can make it stand still on an upward hill, with just the clutch.
You can make things stand still by applying just the right amount of power, to counteract whatever is trying to move it.
That's probably what the in suit computer is for, calculating the amount of power needed.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37