Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Let's Play ADOM: Tower of Eternal Flames Round 2 Fight!  (Read 26230 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Ye Art Doomed!
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2015, 05:34:07 pm »

TEACH ME THE SECRETS OF SURVIVAL!

Also, yay candle! Healing is great, but candle makes healing go from must have to great to have. I think I'm legally obliged to make a troll healer when I get the sign.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2015, 05:56:23 pm »

Also, yay candle! Healing is great, but candle makes healing go from must have to great to have. I think I'm legally obliged to make a troll healer when I get the sign.
I feel like healing is the better choice between healing and herbalism. Herbalism can be really useful but as far as I know you could work around the downsides of not having herbalism while picking herbs. Just use-identify the herbs, and dip stacks of the herbs you want in holy water to make sure they aren't cursed. You can't really regen more health per turn without the healing skill.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2015, 07:49:49 pm »

I feel like healing is the better choice between healing and herbalism. Herbalism can be really useful but as far as I know you could work around the downsides of not having herbalism while picking herbs. Just use-identify the herbs, and dip stacks of the herbs you want in holy water to make sure they aren't cursed. You can't really regen more health per turn without the healing skill.
Rings of regeneration?

TEACH ME THE SECRETS OF SURVIVAL!

Great advice, but I'm already doing half of what you suggested, and I keep on dying before being able to do the other half. I generally go with gnome or drakeling wizards, gnomish bards, or gnomish necromancers.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2015, 09:13:42 pm »

Alright, new dwarf weaponsmith. I like the idea of melting down and forging my own awesome gear.

We name the new dwarf Urist. It's the standard dwarf name.

I swear, I left the game after Sarvesh died, came back later, started up a new character and got candle the first time. RNG is RNG.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here's our starting skills.

Here's our starting attributes. About the same as Sarvesh. I think Urist will have a harder time learning/casting spells due to a lower Mana score, and he's not as charismatic or good looking as Sarvesh was, but they're both about the same toughness and strength.

I start the game by going to Teriyno, getting the elder's quest, grabbing some large rations from the shop, and stashing my anvil in the northwest corner of town. Then I stop by the black market at holeinthewall and stop by the small cave.

I run the elder quest and save Yriggs. We get the healing skill without any problems. We even found another adamantium shield [+7+2] as well as some gauntlets(-1-0)[+0+4] and studded leather armor, and I also pick up an orcish spear and start using it instead of my warhammer.

Once I got healing, I dive back into the small cave and onto the unremarkable dungeon. I didn't get the waterproof blanket from the small cave, but we aren't dead, so that's good. Our descent into the unremarkable dungeon is filled with loot, tension rooms, and even an orc vault where many orcs perished. I loaded myself with as much metal gear as I could carry. I also encounter several explosive rune doors that destroy some good gear, including my studded leather armor, a cloak, and a cursed tower shield I could've melted down. On the final floor of the unremarkable dungeon, we finally find what any starting weaponsmith wants to see. A forge. RNG be praised! I get to work on melting down trash. It's an annoying process. Oftentimes I get stopped by monsters. The first time a minotaur stopped me. The second time an orc and a wolf stopped me. The third time a dark elven priestess appeared.
Spoiler: suddenly spiders (click to show/hide)
Things quickly escalated. I stopped smelting, if you were wondering. Fortunately I had eaten a spider corpse earlier to get poison resist, and my shield skill combined with my decent armor rating lets me sit in the corner and slowly work my way through the spider swarm. There's a ton of spiders. I mean tons. Like, the whole floor was filled with spiders. Blasted dark elf wizards and priestesses.

Eventually I get done melting all the crap I picked up and get 5 iron ingots out of it. Not sure what I want to use them on. Anything made of iron can rust, so if I improved anything it'd probably be temporary until I find better gear. Speaking of better gear, I go and check out the High Mountain Village, located at the end of the unremarkable dungeon.

High Mountain Village has a shop. Guess what I find in the shop? elven chain mail. This sweet piece of armor grants 5 points of protection with no downside, and it is made of mithril and can be improved by smithing. also it only weighs 10 stones, as opposed to normal chainmail weighing ~600 stones. This is especially great seeing how Urist was running around naked. His studded leather armor was burned away and I had yet to find anything to replace it.

We've cleared the early game and I have some ingots and a forge to use. Not sure if I should use the ingots now and improve the gear I have or save it for later and hope I find some good gear in the Caverns of chaos. the iron I'll probably use to upgrade the helmet and spear I have. I have one mithril ingot I'll probably use on the elven chain mail, and I have two adamantium ingots I think I'll use on my shield.

Here's my equipment after I did smithing on the orcish spear, the chainmail, and the shield. Improved the spear's accuracy by 5, the chainmail now grants [+2+5], and the shield is [+2+8]. so better armor, more accurate spear, and better blocking. Cool.
Onwards! Finally, we'll be going to the Caverns of Chaos in this LP.

Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2015, 11:35:41 am »

On the next floor, we receive the message "you suddenly feel threatened."

That's not a message for being cursed, it means there's a room filled with monsters where the walls around the door collapse, allowing you to be swarmed. There's actually two versions of this room, and the one that has that message is filled with a single type of monster, and lacks any other kind of warning(the other constantly reports "you feel a certain tension").

Pools are a mixed blessing, either ignore them or savescum them for wishes.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2015, 09:25:34 am »

Something to keep in mind while you're progressing into the game : wearing artifacts increase how fast your character gets hungry.

While it's not that noticable when you wear an artifact or two, when you'll start to have the majority of your equipment being actually artifacts, your character will get hungry 3 or even 4 times faster than before (depending on how much artifacts your wearing).

So prepare yourself to bring a lot of food if you decide to wear your artifacts (and as they're much better than your plain items, it's very likely you will want to wear them)

and about food :

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2015, 02:54:24 am »

PTW
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2015, 10:39:59 am »

Damn, ADOM be hard. I've been playing for a few years. Other than playing Trollish Healers on Candle sign (read; early game becomes Baby's First Rogueliketm at the cost of the late game being insanely difficult to improve your character) I've never made it to the CoC. Although to be fair, that might be because I'm somewhat addicted to trying to put my adventurers through the Unremarkable Dungeon instead of trying to just play the early game like a normal, sane person would.

I'm mostly playing dark elf priests or gnomish necromancers these days.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2015, 11:18:37 am »

I've had sucess as a Human Archer.

"What do you mean most of it takes place underground in dim lighting? Watch me hit that goblin in the throat...
*twang*
...oops, took out his eye. ;)"
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here!
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2015, 12:44:03 pm »

Alright, back to playing. It's been a little while. When we last left our dwarf weaponsmith Urist, he had just cleared the unremarkable dungeon and was all set to enter the caverns of chaos and actually advance the main plot of adom.

Here's the overworld map! We started in the far northeast corner, went down to Terinyo, the brown "o" by the road, then entered the village dungeon southeast of Terinyo to save Yriggs and get healing, then went back to the small cave to the northwest of Terinyo to rush the unremarkable dungeon. After going through the UD we wound up in the high mountain village in the southeast corner there. There's a shortcut in the HMV allowing you to come back without going through the small cave. Taking the shortcut, we wound up just to the west of the entrance to the small cave. From there we trekked westward until we found the foreboding tunnel into the depths of the world. Here's the Caverns of chaos.

The Caverns of Chaos are the main dungeon of the game. We'll be coming through here regularly.

So it looks like the first floor of the Caverns of Chaos are already interesting. It's got both a beehive (the buzzing) and a pool (the splashing). I don't think it's too often a dungeon floor has multiple things of interest like this, usually it's one or the other. I'm not too interested in the pool. Too often I've drank from a pool in the early game and had a promising character ruined by getting cursed or doomed. Pretty sure that's how Dirtfarmer died, by drinking from a pool and getting cursed. And everyone remembers how fun it was when Dashing got a cursed ring of Doom.

I am interested in the beehive though. Lots of free experience.

Oh hey, I think I found the hive. Just follow the flood of giant angry bees.

Worth noting is that while killing bees, one of them dropped a tower shield. No idea how a giant bee was just flying around with a big metal tower shield strapped to its back, but whatever, free loot.

And soon we find the hive. I could just camp by the beehive and wait for bees to fly out one by one to kill. Or I could take a more direct approach.
Aaaaaugh, not the bees! They're in my eyes! Aaaaugh! Blaaagh! Auuurgh!

Yeah, I guess I kicked the hive a bit too hard. Fortunately Urist is practically an impenetrable wall of iron at this stage of the game and I can just wade through the bees until I get back to the corridor and can take them one by one.

After slaying a bunch of giant bees with my pointy metal stick spear, I find the queen bee of the hive. And then I kill it without a problem. Urist is in pretty good shape for now.

And here's the spoils of our insecticide.

These are more useful than they might sound. With the hive cleared I go on to the next level. i have no interest in drinking from pools right now. Too risky.

And as if the game is mocking me, on the next floor there's another pool. Coooooooooool. Maybe I'll come back to these later.

Diving deeper, I find the only way further into D:3 is blocked by a trick door trap, which I don't want to try and mess with because if it falls on me it could destroy some of my inventory. I take a detour into S:3 instead, an alternate dungeon branch that will take me past D:3. In S:3 we find a tension room of kobolds.

You guys see a bunch of k's, I see a bunch of pinatas containing potential loot.

So after the kobold slaughter I got some food rations, some gold, and thick gauntlets I'll be holding on to for later.

Guess what we find in D:4? If you guess "a swimming pool", you'd be almost right! It's actually just a pool. That's the 3rd pool in 4 dungeon floors. What is it with the RNG today?

On D:5 we have the arena. This is a guaranteed floor layout with the big rectangular room on the far right of the map. You can take part in arena fights, where you're put 1v1 against a random creature. If you win, you get gold. If you don't win, you died, because it's a fight to the death and losing is generally bad for your health here. The big attraction for the arena is all the ratling traders. They sell junk food for gold. One of them sells cooked lizards. These are really nourishing and weigh a lot less than most nourishing types of food. For example, a single large ration weighs 200 stones. A single cooked lizard weighs 3 stones, and is about as nourishing as a large ration. Do the math, cooked lizards are a great food item for the nourishment:weight ratio.

We'll be coming back to the arena eventually, either for more food or to do the arena matches. I'll take a more interesting screenshot then. (I forgot to get one this update and didn't realize until right before I'm about to post. My bad.)

I buy everything the lizard dealing ratling has.

While going to the next floor I kill a hill orc who drops a potion of exchange. These potions switch stats around. Might be useful. Maybe. My last run in with these potions had me identify it after drinking it, and it completely swapped my stats around and basically ruined my troll healer. Switched my toughness with my learning. Left me with 50 hp. On a character meant to be a big tank of hitpoints and hp regen. That troll soon died. Moral here is drink id-ing potions can be dangerous.

On D:6 we have the cavernous level. This is basically just one huge room, and it always has various herbs growing here. But it's full of monsters. The monster spawn rate is high, and can spawn monsters that can summon or spawn more monsters, like dark elf priestesses and their hordes of spiders, or gray jellies who split into more jellies. It's in the player's best interest to avoid being surrounded and generally find the stairs down quickly.

Fortunately, because Urist is a walking wall of metal and shields and spears, we have no problems. Nothing manages to scratch us and we find the downstairs without encountering anything too dangerous.

On D:7 we hear splashing sounds. That means there's a pool. Again. Another pool. Urist has insane luck with the rng today.

Also there's a room full of mist wolves holy shit what.

I kill them all, no problems. Just stand in the corridor, stick 'em with the pointy end of your pointy stick, and kill 'em one at a time. I'd estimate there were maybe 30 wolves? The room was 5x10, but it wasn't completely crammed full of mist wolves. I don't get any loot out of it aside from experience though.

While looking for the pool we get this message. Never encountered this before. If I had to guess, there's a royal vault on this floor too. Think those are chock full of gold. might be worth checking out later. for now, we dive deeper!

On D:8 we slaughter our way through an orc tension room and find a strange item with a strange smell. Also we find a lawful altar! Sweet! Finding a lawful altar out in the middle of the dungeon is nice because we can sacrifice various live dungeon creatures. It's a good way to get piety.

After dropping some bottles of water on the altar I get holy water. Then I dip my heap of 3 uncursed scrolls of identify into a bottle of holy water. Then I read one of the now blessed scrolls of identify and id all my items. Cheers. Amidst all the crap I've got on me I have a ring of cold resistance, blue gauntlets of dragonhide, red gauntlets of dragonhide, a potion of learning, and two fireproof blankets. the blankets are great, I'll need those. Can't believe I just picked them up from random dungeon loot. Still don't have a waterproof blanket but that's not TOO bad. Those gauntlets grant resistance to an element, like the red grants for resistance, the blue grants for frost resist, etc. Good if you have no other source of resistance.

On D:9 I hear more splashing sounds. I've lost count of how many pools I've found in this dungeon. I'll come back and find this pool later, for now, we dive deeper!

Ah, we've reached our destination. Welcome to Dwarftown.

Next time: "What is this, Dwarf Fortress?"

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2015, 02:52:49 pm »

Wow, you survived another update! Then again, you passed up all those pools like a wuss. Shame on you.
Restore your honor! come back and quaff from all of them until they are dry!
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2015, 03:30:41 pm »

Wow, you survived another update! Then again, you passed up all those pools like a wuss. Shame on you.
Restore your honor! come back and quaff from all of them until they are dry!
inb4 I get doomed, cursed, blind, teleportitis, and turn into a primal mass of writhing chaos from the first pool and utterly destroy a good run.

There's a reason I generally don't mess with pools until I get enough piety to have the Lucky intrinsic.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2015, 07:09:59 pm »

Spoiler: dwarftown map (click to show/hide)

When we last left Urist the dwarf weaponsmith, he had stumbled upon an ancient dwarven city! Feels like home, eh Urist? This is Dwarftown, a guaranteed level generated in the Caverns of Chaos which generally acts as a hub for most of the game. Here there's a general store to buy and sell from, an altar that's guaranteed to match your alignment (unless you're chaotic), as well as various services offered by townsfolk. There's a dwarf trainer who we can train with, raising attributes in return for gold, there's a dwarf smith who can remove rust, repair broken or damaged items, teach smithing, or let a player use his anvil for smithing, all of which costs a fee. There's an innkeeper who can give us miscellaneous info for 1 gold piece a pop, and a gladiator from the arena above who may have something to say if you prove your skills in the arena fights. There's also some other stuff that I won't go into now because spoilers.

However, our primary goal for coming to dwarftown is to chat with the leader of this settlement, the dwarven elder. Urist has to fiddle with the door a bit, the thing got stuck, see, not like he messed up and doesn't know how to open a door, ha, no, it was just stuck, these caves are humid, see, heh, heh. Urist totally isn't a clumsy oaf.

Ahem. Moving on.

"Greetings, wise old Thrundarr! I have come to your caves seeking the source of the evil chaos plaguing these lands. The village elder of Terinyo suggested I search for a truly foreboding cave system, and here I've come. Do ye know anything about the forces of chaos?"

"Aye, I have seen the effects of Chaos on the village carpenter from Terinyo. It drove him mad with bloodlust before Jharod the healer cleansed him. Pray tell, Thrundarr, what do ye know about the source of this chaos?"

"Aye, I seek to destroy this chaos at its source and stop it, whatever the cost. If I must venture beyond this portal you speak of, then I shall."

"Oh, well, righto then. If he's defiling good dwarven heroes then this necromancer must be stopped."

"Is there anything else you need me to do, then?" Urist asks this question cheekily, not realizing what he's getting himself into.

"...You what? You what, mate? You want me to go and find a hill giant and slay him? Where the bloody 'ell am I to find a bloody 'ill giant in these bloody caves in the depths of these bloody mountains, eh? You sure you wouldn't rather I kill a big bat or something? I've seen plenty o those down 'ere, I tell ya hwat."

Thrundarr just stares at us. Like an old man who doesn't have a shit to give about the opinions of uppity-smart-alecky youngsters. Guess we gotta go kill a hill giant.

Before setting out I stop by the general store and sell some trash. That weird smelling strange object we picked up earlier is an artifact known as the "si" and it basically multiplies itself in your inventory. So you have 1 si, then 2 si. Then more si. Quite useful for selling to vendors or sacrificing to altars, as long as you keep 1 of the sis, of course. What's the plural of si anyway? Sis? Sii? Si? whatever.

Also I stopped by Glod the weaponsmith's place to see how much it costs to use the forge. Dude charges 2500 gold per use. We're a weaponsmith, so we could use the forge to melt down metallic items, but it tends to take multiple metal items to get one bar of metal. So it would take multiple charges of 2500 gold. In. Sane. Rip. Off.

Now, we could go back up to the surface and head over to the graveyard and get that over with. I think I'll try dungeon diving down here a bit first, see if maybe I can find a better weapon than what we have. All we've got is a bog-standard iron spear. Would prefer something shinier and pointier.

Next time: Murder-hoboing the Caverns of Chaos for loot and profit!

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2015, 04:10:25 am »

Chug all the pools and wish for a hill giant!
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2015, 04:24:00 am »

About pool drinking, something important to note related to the quests :

Anyways, out of save scumming, unless you're really lucky it is best to not drink from pools if you're having a promising character, while the bonus you can gain can be awesome, the malus are made to easily cripple your character .
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9