Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Braving the New World (Day 2-A Quiet Evening)  (Read 18660 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Braving the New World (Day 2-Blue Skies)
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2015, 05:20:35 pm »

Earl looks nervous and scratches the back of his neck. "Should we go in after him? Make sure he's okay?"

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2015, 05:31:03 pm »

Ispil blanches. He'd made a mistake, moved too hastily, gone too far. His drowsiness was making it hard to concen-Wait, why was he drowsy? He'd just had a full night's rest. Was there something unnatural? Surely he would have realised sooner... Think, think, remember your training... What senses deceive you? Are you being led astray?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2015, 05:36:20 pm »

The man with the sword points to the a line of foot prints leading from the beach into the jungle.

"...He went that way...seems he went on an entirely different track than you did...for some reason..."  The man replies to himself, nodding. "I'm not one to leave a man behind, if we can reasonably get him back. He seemed like a good fella. I'll help get him back...if there's anything to get back. This...stuff...is probably in the air, right? I'd cover your mouth if you stick around...I guess if fall asleep here, you don't get back up.

My name's Leo, by and by."

Leo whispers something to his dragon-pet-it apparently understands him, because it takes off and flies back to the ship.

Then, he pulls his lower cloak up to cover his mouth.

---
Ispil blanches. He'd made a mistake, moved too hastily, gone too far. His drowsiness was making it hard to concen-Wait, why was he drowsy? He'd just had a full night's rest. Was there something unnatural? Surely he would have realised sooner... Think, think, remember your training... What senses deceive you? Are you being led astray?

Ispil does manage to concentrate, though it's getting difficult-it almost feels like it would be good to lay down...he vaguely feels a sense of drunkenness, as if he's been downing shots of cheap liquor. It makes his thinking fuzzy and unreliable.

He thinks, it's something in the air. He realizes even in the few moments his breathing has increased, the effects have gotten worse. It has to be the plants...the flowers...all around him...so pretty...and now they seem to be moving of their own accord...roots and branches, reaching for him with thorny fingers...or is that just a hallucination?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2015, 05:45:31 pm »

Ispil covers his mouth and draws his sword, he intends to stave off any roots or plants that get too close, but he's so drowsy... Wake up, you idiot!
Yell as loudly as you can! There's no way you can deal with this on your own.
He's confused, is he hallucinating even further? Well, he decides to try and follow...  His, its, his own, advice, and yells at the top of his lungs.
Wait, the air, coldness? If whatever's making him drowsy is in the air then it should be weaker where it's cold... But it's warm here and he wants to slee-
SNAP OUT OF IT!
Huh? His dizzy mind shakes a bit, and he tries to head where it's cold.

((If I had a torch I'd try setting fire to the plants. :v)
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2015, 05:48:24 pm »

((If I had a torch I'd try setting fire to the plants. :v)

((Are the plants playing tricks on you OOC too? :P Check your inventory. Tho I admit, Man Eating Ents hate fire.))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2015, 05:54:49 pm »

((I can't actually check my inventory since I'm at school, and I thought I didn't have torches from what I can remember. >_>))

Forget the plan, use fire!
Wha... Fire? What fire?
You've got torches you idiot!
Torches? Ispil wonders, but where does he have torch-Oh, in his backpack. Can he get them out quickly enough and light them in time? Keep the plants in his vision, don't back into things, light the torch...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:56:33 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2015, 05:57:47 pm »

Earl pulls out a handkerchief and uses it to cover his mouth and nose. "Let's hope he hasn't gotten into too much trouble."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2015, 06:28:30 pm »

"I'm less than sure that'll help; my scarf did little enough. Our best ally is speed; follow and don't lag behind."

Track the wayward monk. Once we enter the jungle, Ker uses his dagger to make large arrows in the vegetation pointing back the way they came.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2015, 01:04:15 pm »

((Just waiting on Mainiac to run his action to move the main group. I mean, yeah, he's gonna probably follow along...but maybe he'll do other things.))

---

Ispil dramatically lights his torch as the branches seem to reach out to take him...the sudden heat, light and smell of smoke clears his head from terrible fog...and the plants or their hallucinations seem to recede at the heat of the fire in his torch. For now.

He feels he's a little bit more clear now...he manages to come back to himself. Now he needs to decide how to act.

Senses~!
Ispil can see nothing around him but dense, grasping jungle vines. They encircle him and cover him completely.
He can see some dark stone blocks jutting from the jungle somewhere near him-like pillars? They are choked in bright and colorful flowers, like primroses, he thinks. It's odd, because he's sure he didn't see the path until a moment ago...either way, it seems to be the clearest, easiest way forward.
Ispil can hear nothing. It's really rather unsettling.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Friends (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Player Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:07:05 pm by Dwarmin »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Braving the New World (Day 2-Green Hell)
« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2015, 10:53:56 pm »

The voice he had been hearing earlier recedes from Ispil's mind, leaving only the worrisome silence of the forest.

Whatever it is that's trying to kill me, it probably wants me to follow that path...

That was good. If it wasn't trapped if he found the core, he could kill it...
He decides to follow the path indicated by the strange rocks, but stays wary.

Would the others be searching for him? He wasn't sure, but he decides to make his tracks as obvious as possible. The thing in the woods already knew where he was.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:57:18 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2015, 11:51:26 pm »

((Just waiting on Mainiac to run his action to move the main group. I mean, yeah, he's gonna probably follow along...but maybe he'll do other things.))

"Aren't you boys getting a little too excited here?  The beach is too nice for you?  That fellow decided to have a peek inside the jungle?  I think you are getting a bit carried away here."

Natalie fellows the group halfheartedly at a leisurely pace.  The only reason she even keeps going is that she smells something absolutely divine and wants to track down what it is.  Of course if they decide to drag her she is hardly going to resist.  She does want to get ashore more so she can see if that smell is just around the beach or is inland as well.

"Are you animal, vegetable or mineral?" She inquires to her surroundings in a playful tone.  "Or perhaps magical?"  Is there anything about her knowledge of Arcana that can help her solve this mystery?

((After all from her perspective the only mystery is why everyone is afraid of the perfect vacation spot.))
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:55:34 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2015, 12:15:08 pm »

Ispil begins making scratch marks on wood and stone with his sword, as he moves forward, hoping it will help leave a trail for anyone searching for him...

Following the path leads him deeper and deeper into the jungle, but the path ahead, lined with dark black cobblestone, always stays relatively clear. It's much easier to advance than to retreat, certainly.

He counts at least a hundred stones, each with about ten feet between them, before he approaches the ruins. Stairways, arches and small pavilions...he can't tell how deep the temple complex might go...the stones are choked in vines, earth, and those colorful roses, giving him a feeling that it will be dangerous to continue. If they are leading him here, then they will be prepared. Nevertheless, if there are answers to be found, they would be here.

He looks behind him and is not surprised to see the path is gone, as if it never existed...though, it does occur to him that this is something of an illusion. Of course, the path is still there. They are just hiding it from him...

Spoiler: The Temple (click to show/hide)

----
"Or perhaps magical?"  Is there anything about her knowledge of Arcana that can help her solve this mystery?

Knowledge Check
8+4=12
Result: Partial Success

Natalie's relaxed state somewhat interferes with her thinking, but she does recall her lessons on enchanted plantlife. She thinks these are plants and that they are actually sentient, to some degree-at least enough to tailor their scents to your liking-and if what she knows about similar greenbeings holds true, they are capable of locomotion...and teamwork. She briefly wonders if the entire forest is one large organism-if so where, is the brain?. Could such a being have a single mind? A single will? A delicious concept...the Green must really enjoy her company, to have welcomed her here in such style, Natalie thinks...

Track the wayward monk. Once we enter the jungle, Ker uses his dagger to make large arrows in the vegetation pointing back the way they came.

((humm, I don't have the rules for tracking. Time to fudge!))

Survival Check vs DC 15
9+5=14
Perception Check vs DC 15
1+5=6
Result: Fail, Recovery Fail=Ambush Time

Ker makes good time, following the monks bootprints-it's not easy. The boy is light and walks as soft as rabbit, and...if he didn't know better, he would swear the jungle seems to be working against him. Many times (too many to be a coincidence) vines and creepers trip and slow his progress-marks of the trail are momentarily lost in the brush...as if something had been trying to hide the trail...despite his mask, he still feels the effects of the air as well-heavy with musky scents, they make it hard to breathe. Distance and sound seem to be muted, here in the green-he checks back repeatedly to make sure none of the others have wandered off. More than a few moments he feels a powerful urge to toss away his mask, and breathe the free air...of course, Ker is quite sure that this is not a thought of his own.

At some point, Ker loses the trail. Completely. He casts about, but finds nothing on a glance...something does find them, though...he realizes after a moment of frustration that he was lead here, with false marks and signs-how many of those boot prints had been mimicked by a cunning vine? He was outsmarted. By plants!

It seems the Jungle is tired of games-the whole party feels a tremor in the ground as the plants begin to rouse themselves...the grass, the trees, the flowers. It's all waking up!

Earl gets the feeling he imagine one would when they find themselves in a Dragon's belly. Just waiting to be digested.
Ker is getting angry-he thinks it's the plants...affecting his judgement...but, somehow he knows that this place is wrong. He can feel it in his bones. It's a wound on the world. A defilement of the natural order.
Natalie feels a sense of wonder and joy coming upon her. Soon the Green will come to show them the majestic truth of the island...she has been blind...but, it will open her eyes...

The Party is currently arrayed on a small hill, encircled by trees, grass, and flowers. It would be a lot less frightening if the larger plants weren't pulling themselves out of the ground and lashing thorny whips. Even the non-moving greenery seems to be coming to life, dragging vines and brambles from the ground like crooked fingers. The flowers now turn on their heads-all orienting on your group at once.

If there's any chance to get away, you must take it now.

Possible Choices: The party can rapidly backtrack along their route to get back to the beach (at a run), or stand their ground and face whatever is coming for them. Third option? Up to you!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:46:47 pm by Dwarmin »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2015, 12:33:40 pm »

If Natalie had known how pleasant herbology was she might have learned about it in the wilds sooner.  She understood know why the wise old herbologist at the library had been so eager to drag her aching bones into the wilderness every chance she got.  What was it that old Carter had said about the method of testing?  Something, something point of difference... there was something about an experiement that gives different results...  Huh, maybe Natalie could do something like that.

"Hey wait up just a second, fellows.  I'm getting really tired of this stench we are walking into.  I'm going to loop around and meet back up with you.  Dont worry I wont stray out of eyeshot..."

Natalie moves about twenty paces to the side and continues in parallel, wondering if nature will adapt to her expressed preference.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2015, 01:11:11 pm »

Natalie wanders about. She quickly realizes this is a very good way to get 'lost'...though really, how could you ever get lost in a place like this? It's exactly the sort of place you want to be...she quickly loses sight of the others, and really, isn't that a relief? They were just strangers-harmful strangers...there are true friends here...the smells are much nicer here.

Survival Check vs DC 15
1+1=2
4+1=5
Disadvantage: Green Hell, Unskilled
Fail!

Ker Perception Check vs Natalie Stealth
Ker/10+5=15
Natalie/6+3=9

She is shocked out of her trance by Ker's iron grip on her arm, moving her back to the path-the terrible, lonely path, with the strangers. The flowers seem sad, Natalie thinks, not exactly thinking why or how that could be. There is a shade of iron in her mind, perhaps uncorrupted, that tries to tell her that the plants were trying to separate them. Like wolves would.

((OOC: Natalie rejoins the turn, as before. Also, Natalie can probably snap out of her trance if she likes-this stuff works best if you don't know your being affected or threatened by it. RP is good, tho.))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2015, 01:29:07 pm »

Ker slaps Natalie across the face with his free hand, growling, "Get your head together, lass, it's the wet-forest burrowing into your mind!" Casting his head about, he tries to find the path back to the beach. "Like as not the boy's already gone, and we'd best make time back to the shore before the wrongness takes us all. Stick close, now, if you don't want to be lost!" Ker pulls the halfling along for a pair of steps, glaring over his shoulder at the others, then frees his hand to draw and nock an arrow.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20