Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 122

Author Topic: Fabulous 5E Dnd (Let the Game begin)  (Read 133233 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Fabulous 5E Dnd (Let the Game begin)
« Reply #390 on: May 11, 2015, 10:51:31 pm »

((MC's personal preferences:

Combat: 8/10 {I'm big on combat mechanics, but I don't like it when it's CONSTANT COMBAT}
Non-Combat Situations: 8/10 {People just don't put enough work into trap filled corridors like they used to, or trying to bluff your way past a guard. And waiting for someone to pick a locked door is perfect time for RP that actually makes sense.}
RP between players: 7/10 {It's just fun, really}
RP with NPCs: 4/10 {GMs are really too busy with trying to advance the game [very understandable] to be having NPCs make small talk [At least it's like that when I run games. I don't like NPCs talking unless they're providing info or somehow getting the game moving along.] so you can't really have as many interesting/hilarious scenarios like the ones you can have when dealing with frothing lunatics fellow players.}
))
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 11, 2015, 11:34:20 pm »

((I'm ok with both. I always have access to bay12, as you can tell with me posting all the frigging time.

In Mastahcheese talk:

Combat: 7/10 {I like combat, but I like other things too. Its why this time around I'm basing myself on a fast killer with a lot of support spells}
Non-Combat Situations: 7/10 {Ignoring the RP only type stuff, I like investigations, mysteries and the odd puzzle. However, too much or very poorly done puzzles and the like I'm not ok with}
RP between players: 8/10 {I like how it can go when you have the right people. I like this group, so I like this RP for players}
RP with NPCs: 3/10 {I'm ok with it, but I'm not fond of some things being forced on the party at times. In this case, the fact the apprentice keeps showing up and kind of f***ing off without any info on our task at hand can be annoying, but also its annoying when she leaves, comes back in ten seconds span and still doesn't really do much but make small talk.}

What I've Seen so far: 8/10 {Its pretty engaging, and despite being a new DM, minus the confusing spelling mistakes, some other stuff I wasn't fond of and some moments that I confused myself with forgetting something was said, I like what I see. I like most how there's individuality with the party with how some of them have unique abilities or some leg up in their favor, like the paladins can detect something other then just undead, devils/demons and gods. It adds more then the basic 5e campaign elements and gives some story relevance. An example would be the fact that during a conversation, I got a message from my guild in the middle of a conversation with the captain. That's different and pretty freaking awesome how my backstory is sort of applied here. I'm sure as time progresses, the others will get more as well, but for now, I'm liking what we got with our first encounter and our RP right now.}

Things to mention: {Gonna mention the only gripe I had so far with what was brought to the table right now is the fact you're trying to push a bit too hard to progress us. If that owl/bird was supposed to mark the apprentice needing us, then why didn't she just show up as she always does: randomly? Also, the fact you skipped what I was trying to do and ignored the fact the players went to the tavern to do things really kind of got to me. If the players aren't doing what you want them to do after an extended time, its time to step in, but this isn't final hallway XIII, so we can freely do some stuff before progressing. Hindering this down time isn't a good idea, but if it goes on too long, then its time to call in the divine DM power.}

Overall: {Good job, with some minor things that can be altered, I love it. Just check your spelling to avoid confusion (ally and alley really confused me a lot) and let your players screw around a bit before progressing and you're golden}))
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fabulous to the bitter end
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 11, 2015, 11:53:46 pm »

((I'm ok with both. I always have access to bay12, as you can tell with me posting all the frigging time.

In Mastahcheese talk:

Combat: 7/10 {I like combat, but I like other things too. Its why this time around I'm basing myself on a fast killer with a lot of support spells}
Non-Combat Situations: 7/10 {Ignoring the RP only type stuff, I like investigations, mysteries and the odd puzzle. However, too much or very poorly done puzzles and the like I'm not ok with}
RP between players: 8/10 {I like how it can go when you have the right people. I like this group, so I like this RP for players}
RP with NPCs: 3/10 {I'm ok with it, but I'm not fond of some things being forced on the party at times. In this case, the fact the apprentice keeps showing up and kind of f***ing off without any info on our task at hand can be annoying, but also its annoying when she leaves, comes back in ten seconds span and still doesn't really do much but make small talk.}

What I've Seen so far: 8/10 {Its pretty engaging, and despite being a new DM, minus the confusing spelling mistakes, some other stuff I wasn't fond of and some moments that I confused myself with forgetting something was said, I like what I see. I like most how there's individuality with the party with how some of them have unique abilities or some leg up in their favor, like the paladins can detect something other then just undead, devils/demons and gods. It adds more then the basic 5e campaign elements and gives some story relevance. An example would be the fact that during a conversation, I got a message from my guild in the middle of a conversation with the captain. That's different and pretty freaking awesome how my backstory is sort of applied here. I'm sure as time progresses, the others will get more as well, but for now, I'm liking what we got with our first encounter and our RP right now.}

Things to mention: {Gonna mention the only gripe I had so far with what was brought to the table right now is the fact you're trying to push a bit too hard to progress us. If that owl/bird was supposed to mark the apprentice needing us, then why didn't she just show up as she always does: randomly? Also, the fact you skipped what I was trying to do and ignored the fact the players went to the tavern to do things really kind of got to me. If the players aren't doing what you want them to do after an extended time, its time to step in, but this isn't final hallway XIII, so we can freely do some stuff before progressing. Hindering this down time isn't a good idea, but if it goes on too long, then its time to call in the divine DM power.}

Overall: {Good job, with some minor things that can be altered, I love it. Just check your spelling to avoid confusion (ally and alley really confused me a lot) and let your players screw around a bit before progressing and you're golden}))
(( i didn't ignore or forget that you went to the tavern i was just adding in, like "this is what you saw while walking through the square". There is something in the center of the circle and the fact the owl that drop the knife was just sitting on a building i in the square. I get that i am being pushy right now but I mostly doing it i know where ever on is and doing, and i will let back abit, but with people getting on a different time some people will have alot less time to do stuff like Rp. But I am learning, Hopefully i can get all the info i need  about the character written by tomorrow so i know exactily what every ones has and can do, After that I will finish Cheese and Apiks sheet. Then i think i will make an encounter table for the city and map the surounding area. You guys haven't even met all the interesting characters i made. I hope to have even more.))
I didn't choose the Fabulous life, it chose me.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 12, 2015, 06:18:45 am »

Combat: 6/10 {It's an important part but I don't put that much stock in it. It's like that needed element in adventures, but doesn't make the bulk of the story.}
Non-Combat Situations: 7.5/10 {I enjoy the occasional bluff, trap, locked door or puzzle. As mastahcheese said, it really is underutilized. It's just a fun thing to have in each game to spices things up.}
RP between players: 9/10 {I'm real big on that, even if I'm not putting enough effort this game. Most of the most hilarious things I've ever done which also happened to be the most fun were with other players. Player relationships really can evolve and as long as the actual players can avoid the "We must be friends because we're in a group" mentality, even if somebody tries to kill each other, it's all part of the fun.}
RP with NPCs: 7.5/10 {Unlike Mastahcheese and Highmax, I enjoy talking to NPCs when the DM is capable of producing an interesting conversation. It's all about influencing the world around me, really. Whether it's bluffing, convincing, outdrinking, interrogating, intimidating or just talking about fancy old times, a good conversation is always a winner with me. Most of the storyline should be told using NPCs so that's a big part of why I like talking to NPCs. If I could have a game where I only talk and nothing else, if with the right character and right storyline, it would please me greatly.}

What I've seen so far and things to mention: {Too early to say anything on the combat in my opinion. The best part is definitely the player-to-player relationships being built and the players taking their own initiative to form their personalities. The NPCs are a bit mediocre and boring and kind of forced. I know we helped save the town and stuff, but from what I gather the goblins have been attacking often. I don't think that's a good enough reason for the mayor to invite a group of strangers into his house, unless you're planning for some plot twist. Some parts of the story as Highmax said feel a bit forced like the owl. The mayor appearance however was better as it was weaved into our actions in the tavern. One little thing that's been bugging me is that you use normal formatting with everything, whereas the players bold their actions and give colors to their words. It makes reading your posts a bit unnatural and annoying, but I think that's just me. One thing that you should definitely add is more mystery (and if the owl was an attempt at it, it was a poor overutilized one). Mystery is built through subtle actions and happenings. One example would be rumors, another would be something surprising happening and then disappearing the next without having done much except surprise us. As it is, parts of your world lack depth in my perspective. You gotta let the players try to find out about the world themselves, not bring the world to them. I do realize this is only the start and you are new to DMing, but I feel like I should lay these things down early before they become ingrained in you.}

After Urax and Hatred take their leave, start eating with the blessing of the house and stop to comment from times to times.

"I hope you'll excuse them, Mayor. It's been a long day as you might understand, what with the goblins and mud creatures and" smirks "drinking."

Take a bite and swallow it with a drink.

"Tell me more about this part of the world, sir. What ills trouble these lands?"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 06:22:52 am by apiks »
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 12, 2015, 06:27:46 am »

((Combat: ? {This is my first DnD, so I don't know if I like combat yet.}
Non Combat: 7.5 {Puzzles are cool.}
RP w/ players: 9 {I'm like RP. It's fun talking as a different person, and seeing the other personalities. Fun.}
RP w/ NPCs: Depends on if the NPCs have good personalities.
Overall: Nice GMing. Like Apiks, I find it nice when plot doesn't seem contrived, like with the mayor in the tavern. NPCs could have a bit more personality, but this is just the start so I'm sure you'll improve.))
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 12, 2015, 07:36:04 am »

(( thanks, this is wonderful to hear, this is definitely help me out later in the game. I am really enjoying myself, and I will learn))

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 12, 2015, 07:56:19 am »

Combat: 6/10 {It's an important part but I don't put that much stock in it. It's like that needed element in adventures, but doesn't make the bulk of the story.}
Non-Combat Situations: 7.5/10 {I enjoy the occasional bluff, trap, locked door or puzzle. As mastahcheese said, it really is underutilized. It's just a fun thing to have in each game to spices things up.}
RP between players: 9/10 {I'm real big on that, even if I'm not putting enough effort this game. Most of the most hilarious things I've ever done which also happened to be the most fun were with other players. Player relationships really can evolve and as long as the actual players can avoid the "We must be friends because we're in a group" mentality, even if somebody tries to kill each other, it's all part of the fun.}
RP with NPCs: 7.5/10 {Unlike Mastahcheese and Highmax, I enjoy talking to NPCs when the DM is capable of producing an interesting conversation. It's all about influencing the world around me, really. Whether it's bluffing, convincing, outdrinking, interrogating, intimidating or just talking about fancy old times, a good conversation is always a winner with me. Most of the storyline should be told using NPCs so that's a big part of why I like talking to NPCs. If I could have a game where I only talk and nothing else, if with the right character and right storyline, it would please me greatly.}

What I've seen so far and things to mention: {Too early to say anything on the combat in my opinion. The best part is definitely the player-to-player relationships being built and the players taking their own initiative to form their personalities. The NPCs are a bit mediocre and boring and kind of forced. I know we helped save the town and stuff, but from what I gather the goblins have been attacking often. I don't think that's a good enough reason for the mayor to invite a group of strangers into his house, unless you're planning for some plot twist. Some parts of the story as Highmax said feel a bit forced like the owl. The mayor appearance however was better as it was weaved into our actions in the tavern. One little thing that's been bugging me is that you use normal formatting with everything, whereas the players bold their actions and give colors to their words. It makes reading your posts a bit unnatural and annoying, but I think that's just me. One thing that you should definitely add is more mystery (and if the owl was an attempt at it, it was a poor overutilized one). Mystery is built through subtle actions and happenings. One example would be rumors, another would be something surprising happening and then disappearing the next without having done much except surprise us. As it is, parts of your world lack depth in my perspective. You gotta let the players try to find out about the world themselves, not bring the world to them. I do realize this is only the start and you are new to DMing, but I feel like I should lay these things down early before they become ingrained in you.}

After Urax and Hatred take their leave, start eating with the blessing of the house and stop to comment from times to times.

"I hope you'll excuse them, Mayor. It's been a long day as you might understand, what with the goblins and mud creatures and" smirks "drinking."

Take a bite and swallow it with a drink.

"Tell me more about this part of the world, sir. What ills trouble these lands?"

"Well around this town are farms. There are a lot of farms. What ills the land?"
The Mayor ponders
"Well other then the occasional Kobold attacks, the other main problem is the owlbears but they seem to calm down. There is the matter with that guard opening the door to let the Kobold in but I think the guards can take care of that. I have heard that the animals have been getting aggressive out on some of the farms, swarms of ravens you see. Other work you probably could find would be transporting the supplies to the near by villages, specially for the weapon shop. We, for some reason, don't have a black smith in the town but there is on about a days travel away which we end yup getting more, if not all, our forged good from. "
He said, think hard to answer your question.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 12, 2015, 08:04:33 am »

"Fair enough. What about rumors in the country? Politics in the capital? World disasters or something that has missed my ears? You can't convince me that the whole world is as peaceful as you claim it to be around here."
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 12, 2015, 09:12:18 am »

"Fair enough. What about rumors in the country? Politics in the capital? World disasters or something that has missed my ears? You can't convince me that the whole world is as peaceful as you claim it to be around here."

"Actually, it seem that most if not all the big cities politics have forgotten about this ends of the world. I find it quiet strange but no news of any sort of politics ever get here. I have brought this infront of the council but we are baffled on what to do to fix this problems. Probably the wain reason is because the part of this land that is by the sea has this Eye of the storm effect where the seas can be calm but travel a days distance away you are caught in a heavy storm. And if you head away from the sea, from here you will run in to mountains. Before you say 'that can be over came' these mountains are vertical on this side about 100 feet tall. We either need to get a clan of Dwarfs to dig a tunnel through or learn how to climb straight up. If you have any ideas on how to get more information here I would love to hear it. I personally don't think it can be as peaceful as I say but what problems are out there I have not be informed."

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 12, 2015, 09:55:00 am »

Mutters a curse under his breath.

"Ah, well we'll have to do something about that, won't we? I don't fancy living my days old in this part of the world, no offence meant."
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 12, 2015, 09:59:26 am »

"There is always a path, if you seek hard enough. I have no doubt there is a way through." The Paladin notes.

"How about I visit these Dwarves on your behalf? It will be a good start, as any...once we discuss payment, of course. For myself, and for the others, if they wish to accompany me."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 12, 2015, 11:53:39 am »

Mutters a curse under his breath.

"Ah, well we'll have to do something about that, won't we? I don't fancy living my days old in this part of the world, no offence meant."

" I completely understand, I some days question why I say. But there is one interesting thing about this place. They say that this place it more connected to the ancients and the other plans then most people in the world. Come to think of it, I might has something book that seem to talk of this place. We can look at those later. We do get our fair share of commotion but It is always temporary like the city it self like the balance that it is in and when something disrupts this balance, something will happen. And if we have 2 paladins in town I can only assume more evil things will come. I happened before. On of the council member has a nasty scare on his face he got it when a bunch of fiends attack the city on the full moon, but coincidentally a party of paladins were staying in the city. They some how got lost whiel adventuring. The mayor pulls out a pipe and begins to smoke some tobacco.
" I personally think this city holds either a area strongly connected to a deity or some powerful being not of this plane or this city is in close proximity to some powerful atrifacts or magical items" he takes a puff from his pipe " But that is just my Personal belief."

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 12, 2015, 11:57:15 am »

"There is always a path, if you seek hard enough. I have no doubt there is a way through." The Paladin notes.

"How about I visit these Dwarves on your behalf? It will be a good start, as any...once we discuss payment, of course. For myself, and for the others, if they wish to accompany me."

" Young girl, We have looked for a dwarvern clan but saddly none seem to live on this side of the mountains. I mean we have a few dwarves living here but I think the number equal to 5 in total."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 12, 2015, 12:06:05 pm »

...and if we have 2 paladins in town I can only assume more evil things will come...

"You know, that's a common misconception. Paladin's don't bring evil, they uncover it's presence. Evil is always among you, even if you would prefer not to believe it-people like me just bring it into the light and destroy it." She argues.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 12, 2015, 12:08:15 pm »

Look at the paladin.

"My lady, please! We were just notified that there is no easy way out of this place. Shouldn't we be seeking a way to make such a path viable to the common man?"
Founder of Teh LOLmod
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 122