Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Perfect Gaming Client  (Read 5757 times)

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Gaming Client
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 10:25:04 am »

steam with more stable & faster servers would be the perfect gaming client

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 10:27:04 am »

steam with more stable & faster servers would be the perfect gaming client

You can change your default server. You don't have to pull from Seattle.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 10:28:34 am »

tell me something i dont know

there are still speed and stability problems during weekends & sales and other peak usage times

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 03:25:06 pm »

Biggest problem with Steam at the moment is that they don't QA anything. They're adding increasingly complex features and and day's update could break any particular feature. I run a very light and small multimedia box on my living room TV and stream games to it from my gaming PC with Steam In-Home Streaming. When it works, it's perfect. Problem is, some Steam updates just break random parts of it (or the entire feature). There will often be another Steam update within a couple hours that will fix the bugs, but the fact that they're a massive service that is completely allergic to making stable builds is a bit scary.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 04:06:07 pm »

Biggest problem with Steam at the moment is that they don't QA anything. They're adding increasingly complex features and and day's update could break any particular feature. I run a very light and small multimedia box on my living room TV and stream games to it from my gaming PC with Steam In-Home Streaming. When it works, it's perfect. Problem is, some Steam updates just break random parts of it (or the entire feature). There will often be another Steam update within a couple hours that will fix the bugs, but the fact that they're a massive service that is completely allergic to making stable builds is a bit scary.

Are you running the beta client? I get updates maybe once every 2 weeks.

Ninja edit: Checking the update history, the most recent main branch update was on the 9th, so if you're getting updates more frequently than that, you're running the beta client.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 10:40:19 am »

Ah, speaking of clients, the GOG Galaxy client has gone into Beta.  The alpha wasn't bad, it'll be interesting to see how the beta is. 

With the GOG Galaxy Beta, you can install your games in one click and keep them up to date automatically, the beta currently supports this feature in all but a couple of titles available here. You can also perform backups easily by downloading a standalone installer through GOG Galaxy. The beta features a friends list, game time tracking, achievements, and chat. You can now talk to each other, connect with your group of friends, and see what everyone is playing. You can also try out our online multiplayer & matchmaking solution that, in select titles, includes cross-play: platform-independent multiplayer between gamers on GOG.com and Steam. If you download a patch that breaks something or if you just change your mind, the app will soon feature a unique rollback option to restore a previous version of your game.

Not sure how the crossplay thing works, sounds like voodoo to me.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2015, 01:04:55 pm »

Steam gives me good recommendations, and only when I ask for them on the website, never in my client. I don't see what the big deal is regarding that. It's less intrusive than banner ads, since I actually have to purposefully navigate to the portion of the website where the recommendations are.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:06:28 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 11:01:08 pm »

I see GoG Galaxy has an update rollback feature listed as "coming soon"

Do want.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2015, 10:28:26 am »

What's wrong with disabling ad popups in the settings, setting your default page to community or something, then leaving steam in small mode and ignoring the stuff you don't like?

Nobody is forcing you to browse through the store every day or screw around with trading cards.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2015, 10:48:58 am »

GOG Galaxy has already been mentioned.

There's also Evolve (not the game), which seems to fill all the features, except for the store. When you run a game with it activated, it adds it to the library and you can run it from there. It works with all the other gaming clients, so no problem there. It has an overlay, friends list, party system (with a bunch of neat tools, like matchmaking), streaming, all kinds of stuff. It's basically Steam without the store and a few nifty features. The guys developing it seem to be active, last time I checked, and they pay the bills with donations and subscriptions (which add a few more features, nothing major).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:53:39 am by sebcool »
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2015, 09:55:59 am »

Well, GOG 's solution is pretty nice. The main thing they have ahead of steam is the whole the client isnt drm thing, you can just uninstall it and keep your games.
Sorry but I have to correct this every time it comes up: Steam is not intrinsically DRM. It is a download manager that can but does not have to be used as DRM.

There's also the nasty spyware aspect of Steam/Origin/UPlay. It's not just the typical DRM that people object to, although that is significant. Steam does a lot more than just act as a download manager.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2015, 01:50:11 pm »

Spah? Where?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2015, 04:08:08 pm »

Spah? Where?

The only thing I can think of is at one point steam checked for connections a very specific set of websites as part of VAC. Apparently it does not even do that anymore, since cheat makers figured out a way around it.

If that's not what he's talking about, then I have no idea. Steam is so widely used it would be incredibly difficult for them to sneak spyware into it without anyone noticing, and you can bet if someone noticed some genuine spyware you'd hear about it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2015, 04:10:03 pm »

I used to like Steam's "recommended" aspect back when what it did was just find a bunch of popular games usually with some eclectic sense.

Now it just gives me a huge pile of terrible games and I have to tell it on mass "not interested!"

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2015, 04:33:20 pm »

> on mass

It's "en masse..."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4