Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 71

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 100474 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Paid Mods -- People Want Them Now???
« Reply #975 on: June 12, 2017, 03:12:59 pm »

Honestly, my current beef with paid mods, aside from the whole 'possibly tripping up on copyright law bullshit,' is the fact that I sincerely doubt companies are not going to put any form of controls to prevent people from doing a 'reupload with a higher price/a price,' or an enmass upload of trash.  Shit like that is already pulled with games on Steam, and it will likely be even easier for mods.  And if Bethesda does actually fork out the cash to do that, once the floodgate opens, then other companies will start doing similar stuff, and given many games are already released in broken states...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 12, 2017, 03:58:49 pm »

... hasn't this thread had this conversation before? Like, I've got a headache right now and am feeling a little muzzy, but I could swear we've actually had chunks of the last few posts repeated verbatim somewhere upthread. If so, please stop making me doubt my perception of time on top of the visual fidelity ;_;
I doubt anyone has tried using a UN human rights argument before, though. See, I bring innovative strain of discussion! I help! Somewhat!
._.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 12, 2017, 04:02:08 pm »

Honestly, my current beef with paid mods, aside from the whole 'possibly tripping up on copyright law bullshit,' is the fact that I sincerely doubt companies are not going to put any form of controls to prevent people from doing a 'reupload with a higher price/a price,' or an enmass upload of trash.  Shit like that is already pulled with games on Steam, and it will likely be even easier for mods.  And if Bethesda does actually fork out the cash to do that, once the floodgate opens, then other companies will start doing similar stuff, and given many games are already released in broken states...

"We know we promised [feature], and we know we didn't actually include [feature], but we did include the ability to mod it into the game! Now who wants to make a buck?"
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 12, 2017, 04:49:25 pm »

Honestly the only thing that has kept EA, Greenlight, and similar from causing Atari Crash 2.0 is the fact that it's much easier to identify, avoid, and warn others about stinkers without spending money.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 12, 2017, 05:14:08 pm »

Honestly the only thing that has kept EA, Greenlight, and similar from causing Atari Crash 2.0 is the fact that it's much easier to identify, avoid, and warn others about stinkers without spending money.

Greenlight was apparently pretty good, at first.  Then Valve relaxed their standards a bit and all the shit had enough time to get established.

Honestly, I think Greenlight could prove for a nice little example as to the direction any paid mod system is likely to reach...
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 12, 2017, 05:22:45 pm »

I mean, I already don't buy games from companies like EA. I won't do it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 12, 2017, 05:44:15 pm »

You might want to actually read what this is

It features new items, abilities, and gameplay created by Bethesda Games Studios and outside development partners including the best community creators. Creation Club content is fully curated and compatible with the main game and official add-ons.

Creators are required to submit documentation pitches which go through an approval process. All content must be new and original. Once a concept is approved, a development schedule with Alpha, Beta and Release milestones is created. Creations go through our full development pipeline, which Creators participate in. Bethesda Game Studios developers work with Creators to iterate and polish their work along with full QA cycles. The content is fully localized, as well. This ensures compatibility with the original game, official add-ons and achievements.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 12, 2017, 09:02:22 pm »

Doesn't that still run face first into the problems of trying to monetize elements of a cathedral-model modding community? Either they're bringing literally every modder of note on board, they're ripping people off by stealing their collaborative or cumulative work, or they're only including pissant little mods in the vein of game-asset-only kitbashed weapon packs.

I mean, I already don't buy games from companies like EA. I won't do it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
EA as in early access. Different strain of shit.

3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 12, 2017, 09:32:20 pm »

Doesn't that still run face first into the problems of trying to monetize elements of a cathedral-model modding community? Either they're bringing literally every modder of note on board, they're ripping people off by stealing their collaborative or cumulative work, or they're only including pissant little mods in the vein of game-asset-only kitbashed weapon packs.

By the looks of it, they're basically hiring modders to make proper content and overseeing all of that... which *might* mean they have closer access to the code so SKSE wouldn't be necessary, but i sort of doubt it's that good. This is almost ideal actually knowing what it is, though.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 12, 2017, 10:05:06 pm »

You might want to actually read what this is

It features new items, abilities, and gameplay created by Bethesda Games Studios and outside development partners including the best community creators. Creation Club content is fully curated and compatible with the main game and official add-ons.

Creators are required to submit documentation pitches which go through an approval process. All content must be new and original. Once a concept is approved, a development schedule with Alpha, Beta and Release milestones is created. Creations go through our full development pipeline, which Creators participate in. Bethesda Game Studios developers work with Creators to iterate and polish their work along with full QA cycles. The content is fully localized, as well. This ensures compatibility with the original game, official add-ons and achievements.

Bethesda seems to have set it up in quite a good way, it appears, so tentative approval pending actual implementation is how it is slotting in my mind.  Now the question becomes how Bethesda is going to treat free mods when the system comes out (it should be fine, but paranoia slots it into "we'll see") and whether the companies that follow after them be as careful.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 13, 2017, 12:19:10 am »

I'm of the "give them an inch they'll slowly and eventually take a mile." mindset. So I won't be supporting this at all. Granted, I don't think I've used mods on a bethesda product since morrowind... but that's beside the point.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 13, 2017, 01:33:25 am »

It's DLC meets the gig economy. Not only do will we get to see more of Bethesda games hidden behind the extra-paywall, but Bethesda won't even have to pay people as employees to do it!

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 13, 2017, 06:48:54 am »

Yeah, those two points are essentially it for me. It's only "good" if you count paid mods as inevitable and are comparing it to previous efforts. Still one more step down the godawful road of stupid shit that they think they can get away with charging money for.

3. Run Resize Enable

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 13, 2017, 09:57:48 pm »

Paid Mods: The Final Death of AAA Developer Accountability & Creativity.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 13, 2017, 09:58:38 pm »

Paid Mods: The Final Death of AAA Developer Accountability & Creativity.

Funny how much developers GOUGE paid modders to death.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 71