Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 71

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 100521 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Workshop - Now supporting pay-for mods
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2015, 11:25:19 am »

If the community stays toxic for long enough and scammers get paid, sure, it'll be doomed.

But... if the pay-for-mod thing is going to take off... it will be with graphic/item/animation mods, which are easy to showcase via just screenshots or videos.  These will be the the primary movers for the pay-for-mod system.

Though, Skyrim does have the distinct advantage of already having established overhauls and other smaller mods that changes the gameplay... Meaning something like the Hot and Cold mod is selling as well as it is because of its established reputation.  Everyone has had over however many years to try it out.
Those sorts of mods in a brand new game/modding scene would be a much harder sell.  Realistically, this is the portion that'll be doomed, in later iterations of pay-for-mod, but with Skyrim, it can work.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2015, 11:28:26 am »

Well there are several issues.

First and foremost is the 75% fee, obviously this isn't all Valve, Bethesda is in on this as well.

Second is the fact that they will use this system and not moderate it. In fact they're actually telling people that if an asset is free (as in cost), they can use it to make money. If someone takes your free mod, changes a few things (or even just the name), they can sell it; leaving it your job to launch any DMCAs.

Third, is the support system they have in place: For outdated mods, "Not our problem". If you purchase mods that conflict, "Sucks to be you."

Finally, a monetization strategy already exists via Patreon, and that gives 90+% of the money directly to modder.

If modders want money for their mods, that's their decision, that's not what we're against.
What we're against is another cash grab to line their own pockets at the cost of the modding community.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:33:44 am by Blaze »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2015, 11:36:19 am »

Well, I'm saying it'll work for Valve/Bethseda.  Not the overall health of the modding community.

People vote with their monies.  If its rolling in green, it is a success.  Them publishers will be looking to take advantage of it with their next AAA game.  It will continue to be a thing as long as modders sign on to it and the green gets stacked. 
It can be both doomed and a success, depending on who you ask...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2015, 11:48:56 am »

Hey everyone!

I've been out hiking for the last couple of days so I didn't really follow what's been going on, but from skimming over the topic I take it that the news is out!
And in case you wondered if they had forgotten about us - they had not! There is an update in the works for SkyUI that will be up for sale on Steam Workshop (hopefully) soon-ish! I don't want to spoil any details yet, but I just thought I'd let you know to get you hyped up a little. Anyway, gotta run now! *RUNS*

By schlangster over at BGS forums.

Assuming he's not joking, it's the beginning of the end.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2015, 12:12:39 pm »

... Now that I think of it, this move didn't have any direct cost for them. Any small profit would be, well, a profit.
I really hope the negative response from the consumers is strong enough. It's the only weapon we have.
There will be a cost in the manpower required to deal with fraudulent postings, running down copyright claims, etc. There is always a support cost.

I stand corrected.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2015, 12:46:51 pm »

Update from chesko, mod author of Art of the Catch and Arissa.

I think drama will be had. A black day in modding history.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2015, 01:01:36 pm »

Update from chesko, mod author of Art of the Catch and Arissa.

I think drama will be had. A black day in modding history.

An honorable response and reaction. I think he did the right think and i'm a bit sad to see this gentleman left to twist in the wind as he says. Indeed, much drama will ensue, and none of it pretty I imagine, but hopefully mods will return to a donation-based system when the dust settles.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2015, 01:02:53 pm »

Personally the whole situation has me quite entertained.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2015, 01:08:54 pm »

about chesko--

This is exactly what I expected. He made a deal with faustian actors. It always ends badly. always.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2015, 01:11:11 pm »

Post to watch.
Love, scriver~

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2015, 01:21:40 pm »

Either there are backend problems or it's being killed/withdrawn. I get error messages attempting access the mod pages.

Link since BBcode is screwing it:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:23:11 pm by da_nang »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2015, 01:25:58 pm »

Nexusmods made a news post discussing donations and the overall impact this has had on them:
http://www.nexusmods.com/games/news/12454/?

I like their idea of putting donation information in a reliable part of each mod page so people can see at a glance what the mod creator is asking for, if anything, without clogging the file description.  But that's not big news...

In the "Permission changes regarding paid mods" half they discuss the difficulties a creator would have in even discovering the theft of their assets.  Since, yaknow, the stolen assets are probably behind a paywall.  They can get refunds (to their steam wallet), but... yeesh.

Still, content theft has been around for a long time.  This just incentivizes it (as long as people are idiots who buy from thieves, despite the community tools to rate/comment/flag).  I honestly don't understand why people are pulling their mods, particularly from the Nexus, citing fear of theft.  Thieves stealing dollars from idiots sucks, but is it worth pulling the mods altogether?  Is it even possible to pull a mod, really?  I suppose it's up to the creators, plus this is an emotional time.

They're also adding a clear toggleable option: "Users can not use my assets in any mods/files that are being sold, for money, on Steam Workshop or other platforms".  Which is really the job of a proper license, but it's convenient and maybe good enough.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2015, 01:52:24 pm »

I removed some comparisons and so on that were causing issues.  Please try to keep things in perspective.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2015, 01:55:27 pm »

Attempting to access any of the pay mods results in a "This item is no longer for sale" for me. All of them. Wet and cold, some of the various swords- none of them actually work. I think Valve may have pulled it.

Same. They're mentioning it on the Skyrim discussion board as well.

I'll be honest, though, after this, I'm probably going to buy my games on GMG or Gog from now on, and activate them on Steam later. I'm not so sure they'll backtrack the next time they try something like this.
I need to put something interesting here.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2015, 01:57:08 pm »

Mod pages are back. I guess is was just on their end. *sigh*
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 71