Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 71

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 100496 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Workshop - Now supporting pay-for mods
« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2015, 08:50:57 am »

Considering it, since providing support/updates to the mod is optional after it is sold... it would be the perfect time to cash out/burn bridges.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2015, 08:51:26 am »

loverslab will clean up on this if they post 'slightly censored' versions of their mods which just barely conform to the requirement of 'no nudes' and then offer an easy way to uncensor them.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2015, 09:11:08 am »

Check out all the hot new content coming out as Paid DLC!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 09:13:44 am by Blaze »

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2015, 09:14:51 am »

Is that the title screen mod with the new song as well? "Our Gaben, our Gaben owns all modders' hearts..."
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2015, 09:15:35 am »

IDK about anyone else, but I'm infinitely more likely to donate to a modder for making something I love and use a lot than I am to pay to access a mod in a way that gives the vast majority of the funds to Bethesda and Steam. Fuck that noise, it's worse than the cosmetics economy in CS:GO and TF2.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2015, 09:47:34 am »

Does anyone know how many people are actually buying mods now? I can't imagine that there are many and I'm asking myself what Valve and/or Bethesda expected to gain aside from a damaged reputation.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2015, 10:07:17 am »

10 years from now I'll probably need to pay a fee to post a screenshot.  I hate that Valve has tried so hard to monetize every possible thing about my hobby. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:11:07 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2015, 10:10:57 am »

... you mean pay an extra fee, to valve, instead of just the current one to your internet provider and power company >_>

It probably won't get quite that silly, though. Hopefully.

But if it does, look on the bright side! If you get enough upvotes, you'll get a 10% discount on the posting fee. Isn't that quite generous, compared to other services?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:13:16 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2015, 10:14:02 am »

But if it does, look on the bright side! If you get enough upvotes, you'll get a 10% discount on the posting fee. Isn't that quite generous, compared to other services?

Urgrrrghg.   >:(
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2015, 10:16:56 am »

Does anyone know how many people are actually buying mods now? I can't imagine that there are many and I'm asking myself what Valve and/or Bethesda expected to gain aside from a damaged reputation.
Acceptance over time, followed by a slight increase in money?

... Now that I think of it, this move didn't have any direct cost for them. Any small profit would be, well, a profit.
I really hope the negative response from the consumers is strong enough. It's the only weapon we have.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2015, 10:18:36 am »

Steam isn't forcing anyone to monetize.  They're just providing a service that apparently *some* modders prefer over Patreon, donations, and meh...

Unless it's true that they're removing Patreon and Paypal links, which wouldn't surprise me.  In which case, holy crap, this really is awful.

And like Frumple pointed out, there's no reason Steam needs to charge any premium on this.  This would just be one of the many services they offer (like chat, facilitating multiplayer, screenshots and guides...) which encourage game sales, and they make money on the game sales.  75% still seems absurdly high, to the point that I'm sure Patreon is a better option 99% of the time.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2015, 10:45:41 am »

Acceptance over time, followed by a slight increase in money?

... Now that I think of it, this move didn't have any direct cost for them. Any small profit would be, well, a profit.
I really hope the negative response from the consumers is strong enough. It's the only weapon we have.
There will be a cost in the manpower required to deal with fraudulent postings, running down copyright claims, etc. There is always a support cost.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2015, 10:55:17 am »

I anyone wants Valve to get rid of this here's a link to a petition.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2015, 10:57:37 am »

What if we don't care because we have no intention of ever using it and are not afraid of the potential consequences?

Because I firmly believe it's a doomed initiative which will collapse under its own weight.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2015, 11:08:12 am »

Honestly, I don't get the uproar.

Valve offered a monetization option, and the fact that they take 75% of the money is not all that surprising. I mean it's the same of what they did for TF2, and apparently, it's not that bad a deal anyway. In case people don't like that, they can still offer alternative monetization strategies. (The rumour about valve deleting links is completely false, btw, as can easily be checked by just searching for Patreon or donation in the workshop bar. Intact links are easy to find, and Valve would certainly have removed them if they were doing such a thing.)

So, basically, it's people being upset a Valve for allowing other people to get money for their efforts, and thinking themselves entitled to free content.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 71