Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Emdrive news: we might be about to become an interstellar civilization  (Read 31670 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Emdrive news: we might be about to become an interstellar civilization
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2015, 07:50:43 am »

There are big datacenters in the states who cool the equipment racks using water pumped though chillers and then pipe the hot water to nearby homes to give them free heating. Its always interesting to me when people come up with good ways to use what someone else has as 'waste'.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2015, 08:15:27 am »

It's the story behind some of the biggest stuff, too. Petroleum engines were first developed because this explosive stuff that vaporizes was seen as this annoying waste product that wasn't good for any normal usage. Before that it was dumped in rivers, which became literally flammable.

http://www.attendly.com/rockefellers-unconventional-approach-to-getting-rid-of-waste/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:23:16 am by Reelya »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2015, 08:26:48 am »

There are big datacenters in the states who cool the equipment racks using water pumped though chillers and then pipe the hot water to nearby homes to give them free heating. Its always interesting to me when people come up with good ways to use what someone else has as 'waste'.

There are cities in Sweden that does the same with crematoria.

(ptw)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2015, 08:30:33 am »

(ptw)
Ah yes, the sweet warmth of burning corpses. :P

Someone should set up a thermal powerplant over the "Door to Hell" and sell power. It's been burning strong since '71...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2015, 08:30:39 am »

(ptw)
I believe that satisfactorily explains the Scandinavian metal scene.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2015, 08:37:34 am »

(ptw)
Ah yes, the sweet warmth of burning corpses. :P

Someone should set up a thermal powerplant over the "Door to Hell" and sell power. It's been burning strong since '71...
Get some intrepid Japanese to build an onsen over the whole thing.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2015, 10:25:05 am »

PTW. This looks interesting.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2015, 02:33:07 pm »

If we go interstellar without dealing with our major 'Earth' problems first, this will just result in Donald Trump turning into Frieza.
I'm hype for that.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2015, 08:12:41 am »

If we go interstellar without dealing with our major 'Earth' problems first, this will just result in Donald Trump turning into Frieza.
The idea is that we secure a colony or two for the human race first, in order to ensure the survival of our species when shit inevitably goes horribly wrong here on Earth. Going interstellar for that isn't even necessary, since Mars is in our back yard and can be reached with current technology, albeit expensively.

However, the old sci-fi maxim that a drive system's effectiveness as a drive system is directly proportional to its effectiveness as a weapon certainly applies to the EMdrive.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2015, 08:15:36 am »

However, the old sci-fi maxim that a drive system's effectiveness as a drive system is directly proportional to its effectiveness as a weapon certainly applies to the EMdrive.
You're referring of course to Niven's "Kzinti lesson" which is, "a reaction drive's efficiency as a weapon is in direct proportion to its efficiency as a drive."

Spoiler: THE KZINTI LESSON (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:17:25 am by forsaken1111 »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

So apparently there are articles floating around saying that NASA did test the emdrive in vacuum and it apparently really does work :v

One of those articles is from nasaspaceflight, and contains a highly detailed (if really succint) explanation on how it does not break the law of conservation of momentum.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

And yet none of them are actually, you know, NASA. http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a15323/temdrive-controversy/

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Not for me...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Here ya go (click to show/hide)
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile

So apparently there are articles floating around saying that NASA did test the emdrive in vacuum and it apparently really does work :v

One of those articles is from nasaspaceflight, and contains a highly detailed (if really succint) explanation on how it does not break the law of conservation of momentum.

Woah. I was expecting this to fade away into kook-limbo, but it just refuses to go away. I hope that this gets soon proven or disproven conclusively... it's making me giddy! 

BTW, there seems to be something amiss in that article:

Quote from: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/04/evaluating-nasas-futuristic-em-drive/
While the current maximum reported efficiency is close to only 1 Newton/kW (Prof. Yang’s experiments in China), Mr. March noted that such an increase in efficiency is most likely achievable within the next 50 years provided that current EM Drive propulsion conjectures are close to accurate.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EmDrive
In 2008, Wired magazine reported that a team of Chinese researchers led by Juan Yang (杨涓), professor of propulsion theory and engineering of aeronautics and astronautics at Northwestern Polytechnical University (NWPU) in Xi'an, claimed to have developed a valid electro-magnetic theory behind the Emdrive.[3][26] A demonstration version of the drive was built and tested under different cavity shapes and at higher power levels in 2010.[10] A maximum thrust of 720 mN was reported at 2,500 W of input power on an aerospace engine test stand usually used to precisely test spacecraft engines like ion drives.[7][11][12][13][27]

"mN" refers to millinewtons, right? Is there a slight disparity here?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13