Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Emdrive news: we might be about to become an interstellar civilization  (Read 31698 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First the mildly exciting news:

http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/04/eagleworks-nasa-updated-emdrive-models.html
http://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/31ryfb/eagleworks_nasa_updated_emdrive_models_show/

There's a design for one of these devices based on observed results that they're anticipating would generate 2000 newtons of force for ~100kw input. I did the math. Acclerting to the halfway point, then turning around and slowing down for the second half of the trip, that works out to roughly 15 days to Mars at minimum distance assuming a ship with the mass of a 72 seat schoolbus, with a 45x45 foot array of solar panels. And no reason you couldn't use multiple thrusters if you can power them. We're talking an order of magnitude that means not only is regular commercial travel to Mars on the table, even personal 1-2 man craft to Mars may be realistic. Magnetrons are OLD technology that we know very well. They're the thing in microwave ovens that produce microwaves. The emdrive is basically a really big one of those in a metal tube with a particular shape. There's no need for them to be particularly expensive.

Now the crazy exciting news:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36313.1860

Nobody really seems to know how or why these things work. Well, apparently a couple weeks ago somebody at NASA noticed that the measurements they were getting on one of their tests looked very familiar for some reason. And apparently the reason looked familiar was that they were the predicted results for an Alcubierre warp drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

So thinking that maybe this thing works because it's warping space, they did a test where they fired a couple lasers at various points and measured how long it took for the beams to arrive. Light travels at slightly different speed depending on the density of the medium it's traveling through. Heat changes the density of air, so a certain amount of variation in the travel times were expected. The amount of variation they measured was 40 times what they expected:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=36313.0;attach=825622;image

It's possible we might be on the verge of faster than light travel.

A more precise test is planned for this summer.

And hey, even if we're not about to become an interstellar civilization, casual interplanteary travel is pretty cool too.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

PTW with great interest.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

PTW and inb4 imperium of man
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

PTW and inb4 imperium of man

inb4 the Dark Age of Technology.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

This is what I casually thought might be happening back when I first heard about the thing, based entirely on the shape of the thing, the shape of those air vortex guns from a while back, and ass-pull physics
http://cdn.techpp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/vortex-ring-toy.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring
I'm not saying I'm right, but it'd be pretty cool if I was right. Could you make a toroidal vortex that affects energy 'pressure' that way? I got so far as wanting to test it, and then I thought "Nah, that way lies kookery, I'm not a physicist or mechanical or plasma or any kind of engineer"
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 03:06:34 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile

So excited. Here's hoping that we've been born just in time to see the birth of the Human Stellar Empire.
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I call bullshit, but it's more of the "lolwut" variety than the "I'm sure they're wrong" kind. I'm totally unqualified to have an opinion on the veracity of the whole thing, so meanwhile I'm gonna have some skeptical optimism[/oxymoron]
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

ptw

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

So excited. Here's hoping that we've been born just in time to see the birth of the Human Stellar Empire.
I hope so, nothing interesting has happened this generation yet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

It would be cool if accurate, but I'm gonna bet the measurements are an equipment error like those neutrinos a couple of years back
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Emdrive news: we might be about to become an interstellar civilization
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 04:16:40 pm »

I sincerely hope this is correct. I wonder how viable it would be, in monetary terms.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 04:24:07 pm »

yooooooo

is there gonna be an official press release on this soon?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 04:28:52 pm »

If we go interstellar without dealing with our major 'Earth' problems first, this will just result in Donald Trump turning into Frieza.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 04:35:41 pm »

Have you guys realized the consequences of this technology yet?

MOTHER FUCKING HOVERBOARDS

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 04:36:14 pm »

If we go interstellar without dealing with our major 'Earth' problems first, this will just result in Donald Trump turning into Frieza.
Good
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13