Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Author Topic: Olsha Rossalina, Minotaur Monk Gladiator - Round 3: Down but not out  (Read 26155 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Olsha Rossalina: Minotaur Monk Gladiator - Round 3: CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2015, 04:00:04 am »

Yes, we can't blindly fight "criminals". They may be good people. They may be followers of Liagora or her allies.

Twins look like a suicide. Darwin's joke is interesting because it can be a good to get a gladiator friend and may be safer than 9 lions

my choice by order of priority

1) Darwin's joke
2) Wild Beasts
3) Penal Fights
4) Twins
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:05:41 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2015, 04:24:14 am »

Yeah, but Darwin's Joke disables our powers. We're a damn monk! We need those!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2015, 07:56:56 am »

a) Dryad Gladiator 4 / Healer 1 (maybe +1 level somewhere)
b) Fire Giant Brawler 2/Fire Elemental 2 (maybe + 1 level somewhere)
c) Djinn X/X

Dryad loses one level of pure caster, Fire Giant loses 2 levels of pure caster... We lose magical part of our caster\fighter class.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2015, 09:36:14 am »

Yeah, but Darwin's Joke disables our powers. We're a damn monk! We need those!

I think the twins fight would be quite manageable if we were to paralyze the melee one's leg to keep it from reaching us while we deal with the mage. They could have some good weapons to loot, But nobody else seems interested in fighting them, so I wont waste my vote.

Dwarwin's Joke seems to be the fight we are most likely to survive, as only two of the four combatants need die and I think it is likely we will have more effective levels than many of our foes once the powers are taken away. There is potential loot, and a potential friend at stake. This is my first choice.

Our god seems to be bigger on bounty hunters than game hunters, so blindly fighting criminals might actually be okay. They would be my second choice.

No interest in fighting the beasts. No chance of looting anything interesting here.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2015, 10:21:21 am »

I am rather interested who are Boarcuswines?

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2015, 10:43:08 am »

2 - Wild Beasts: 12 Boarcuswine, 3+1d6 Lions
We have the goddess of the hunt on our side. This should be a cakewalk for us.
+1 don't really care either way but animals tend to not want to fight things bigger than them.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2015, 11:06:45 am »

2 - Wild Beasts: 12 Boarcuswine, 3+1d6 Lions
We have the goddess of the hunt on our side. This should be a cakewalk for us.
+1 don't really care either way but animals tend to not want to fight things bigger than them.

Animals made to fight in the arena are likely to be starved or trained until they are aggressive.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2015, 11:11:28 am »

Imagine a wild boar combined with a porcupine, more or less.

It's not so much emphasis on bounties so much as the challenge of the hunt.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2015, 11:47:00 am »

Imagine a wild boar combined with a porcupine, more or less.

On one hand, those would be cool to collect hides and ivory from. On the other, our leech spell might mess up the hides, and fighting them at Melee will be painful.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2015, 12:57:04 pm »

It's 3 to 2 to 2, so I'm going to leave it open for a bit.

Criminals are, for the most part, murderers, thugs, etc. Th re might be an innocent person aside from you, but they all chose to enter the Arena. The Fire Giant started here.

Non voting player hat:

1. Free armor versus unarmored people with weapons they might not know how to use? Even if your armor is crap, all you have to do is play the edges and be ready for Gladiators to turn on you given the opportunity.

2. This seems to be a thing we are specifically trained for, but weaponry. They want us poor; a boar spear will probably be gods-awful expensive. Assuming that we even GET weapons.

3. I'd count on natural weapons. This is most definitely a situation where Warriors will reign supreme, but there's always the chance that someone (the Dryad, specifically, but any of them) having better gear.

4. NO. On our own, we'd probably have a decent shot at Fighter Twin, maybe Stavemage Twin, but together? Absolutely not. They're a dual feature, meaning that they are probably sponsored and familiar with each other. I'm not interested in receiving a Chrono Trigger style dual tech.

I'd go 1-3-2-escape attempt-4, but I can't vote. :p
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 01:05:36 pm by Ross Vernal »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2015, 01:09:40 pm »

Like how escape attempt is safer than twins :D

I actually missed the free armor part and because of that change my vote to

1 - Penal Fights: 5+2d10 possibly armed criminals, 1d4 armed and (free) armored gladiators; free-for-all.

short sword + armor is good enough to sweep through criminals and our magic will work against gladiators later in fight

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2015, 01:19:11 pm »

Player opinion: Both are suicide. I'd rather play the odds on escaping to the Temple and asking for Divine aid to revoke the slave magic than get the receiving end of a 40 MP direct damage spell. I don't know which is more in character, but figured that in the face of imminent death, the anger would inspire towards the goal (flight) as opposed to the fight.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2015, 01:45:17 pm »

Changing my vote to the Penal Battle

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2015, 12:53:47 am »

As we wait for more votes and\or battle post, I'd love to discuss our possible second and maybe third god to follow. I don't think that we should aim for religious classes of anyone but Liagora but taking profession that works good with some god is a nice idea.

By following I mean paying tithes (less than to Liagora), getting friends among worshipper of the god and maybe one more temple\influential priest kind of sponsors. I prefer to limit ourself to Liagora's relatives because this is IC for a saint.

Spoiler: Mingan (click to show/hide)
Liagora's brother in law. Works real good for going blood mage or necromancer route.

Spoiler: Shin (click to show/hide)
Liagora's husband. Solid choice for boosting our abilities as warrior. May limit our usage of death magic because Shin dislikes necromancy.

Spoiler: Bree (click to show/hide)
Liagora's niece. Bree is interesting choice for enchanter or weaponsmith and IMO may improve our social standing more than any other god in the list

Spoiler: Timeus (click to show/hide)
Son of Liagora. I think with us being a follower of his mother we have high chance coming to his temple and finding a water elementalist trainer with a discount. Elemental magic is cool to branch into, isn't it?
Victory domain works great for a gladiator

Spoiler: Malaquai (click to show/hide)
Liagora's grandson. Who wants few levels of Poet or Bard to use at the arena? I see little value of following this god, but him being a relative of Liagora makes him worth mentioning.

1) Stay at warrior 2\gladiator 2 for some time.
2) Get monk levels (general experience should go here)
3) Get some fourth class. It may be martial, magical or utility (Invest money and\or time to train it)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2015, 01:13:08 am »

Our likely next fight involves three free gladiators. There is a good chance we pick up a weapon worth specializing in if we survive, which covers our fourth class on the mid-term plan you propose.

I will have to disagree with you on not taking a few levels in Monk of other gods down the road; I'd bet our attributes are better suited for Divine Magic than Arcane, and we are better off picking up Necro/Blood/Water spells with the help of a god than as an intellectual exersize. Of course, this is a debate to be had much later

---

As for the gods, if you don't want to take any classes in any of the others, I'd say Timeus or Bree would be most likely to have followers willing to support a gladiator.

Mingan is an interesting option as well, if only because ties to vampires might serve us well depending on the direction we want to take our character once she earns her freedom.

As for Shin, I'd rather not worship him ourselves because of that Necromancy thing, but it would be IC for a saint of Liagora to mirror her goddess and marry a prominent follower of Shin.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24