Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fractured Space: Space Warship Battles in Space Where Warships Battle  (Read 6850 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile

Quote from: Fractured Space Website
Fractured Space is team-based space combat fought in gigantic capital ships with the intensity of a shooter and the big-picture-thinking of a strategy game

There's a free weekend for this on steam now, where it's a play and keep; saw PC Gamer play it once a few months ago and was intrigued.

The main problem is the small community, but that shouldn't be a problem if us dorfs storm the field!
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Fractured Space: Space Warship Battles in Space Where Warships Battle
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 04:50:21 pm »

Hm...apparently there are some issues since me and my brother are sharing our steam libraries, since he has the game, steam wont register that I can play on the free weekend.
They fixed it
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:16:00 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 05:14:58 pm »

Hm...apparently there are some issues since me and my brother are sharing our steam libraries, since he has the game, steam wont register that I can play on the free weekend.
Try downloading it from the store page. It didn't show up in my library until I started downloading (and vanished when I tried deleting it right after it started).

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 05:25:48 pm »

That's a problem with all free games on steam. I believe that if you disable family sharing and download the game, it may work.
I don't exactly remember what I did it to fix it when I experienced it, though.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 08:39:58 pm »

It's really fun. Some tips from someone who knows someone who knows the people who work on the game:

Your ship has armor which ablates damage, on four facings: the front, the sides, and the rear. The armor is worn down, along with your ship's integrity, as you take damage, but you can turn yourself to keep fresh armor protecting you which minimizes the damage the enemy does to you.

If you're in over your head, run away. Unless you know you can kill an enemy before you go down, or at least can inconvenience them long enough for your teammates to accomplish some goal, you're more valuable alive than dead. The more deaths you suffer, the longer it takes for you to respawn. You can always jump out of and back into a system faster than you can respawn.

On that note, if you can, kill any enemy you have the advantage on. The flagship has a disabling beam that can stop an enemy ship from jumping for an extra second or two, which is often enough to land a killing blow. Otherwise, just concentrate and pour on the fire. Don't forget you have a lot of secondary systems, oftentimes extra weapons of some kind that will let you do more damage faster.

Stay together with your team unless you know with complete certainty that you can do something useful lone-wolfing. All ships benefit at least somewhat from having backup, even if it just means that the enemy might not be concentrating their fire on you, and the more firepower you can pour out, the quicker you can kill enemies, or at least force them to retreat. The sniper and support type ships especially benefit from having allies around, since they're both squishy and only effective in certain scenarios (the sniper being best far away from attacking enemies, naturally, and the support best used to support other ships, also naturally).
Nothing important here, move along.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 08:57:30 pm »

Game feels fat.
Those are *fat* words there.

Downloading as we speak. It's free for now and i can just delete it if the game makes me *frumple*.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:59:20 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 08:59:20 pm »

I know nothing about this game other than that it's free.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 09:00:19 pm »

I know nothing about this game other than that it's free.

From what i know it's kinda like world of tanks mixed with spaceships and more mobalike gameplay.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 12:18:25 am »

Played it for like 5 hours tonight. Definitely an alpha, in terms of balance and whatnot, but what is there is fun as all hell.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 04:16:10 am »

I've played a few rounds. My thoughts so far.

Of the basic ships, the Corvette is by far the most potent, and having more in one spot exponentially raises power. It has perhaps the weakest gun of the starters, though it outranges the flagships by a little bit. However, the repair beam is incredible. I had a round with another corvette riding with me, and we'd take out 3 ships at a time simply by outhealing their damage, as they'd keep switching targets as we bobbed in and out of debris. It has a VERY fast track rate, so you can turn and heal then aim back pretty quick.

Stealth is good. I don't mean just as the Assassin ship. If you slide into an enemy base, and they don't notice, you can do a LOT of damage before the station without ever firing a shot. A lot of times, people are over eager to jump away and get back into the fight for bases at alpha and beta. Not doing anything can be surprisingly effective.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 07:50:43 am »

confusing game. the "tutorial" video is of little help.
im rather lost, no idea what to do and how stuff works. like, how do i upgrade stuff?
not sure  if i like it. so far i dont hate it. i guess it could be worse. will try a bit more, but im not to optimistic.

hum. 3.d game. after we won, some stupid message told me something went wrong. no xp or credits. im pissed a little. well, at least the msg told me not to worry. so i wont.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:06:08 am by motorbitch »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 10:07:21 am »

Upgrades just happen whenever you're in the repair/control field of one of the larger space stations. You collect resources for upgrading from, I think, the smaller mining stations in the Alpha and Beta sectors.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 10:26:10 am »

ha, thank you :)
game is quite fun i think, however, snipers are just stupid. whenever the enemy has one, i get my ass handed to me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:44:01 am by motorbitch »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 01:58:11 pm »

ha, thank you :)
game is quite fun i think, however, snipers are just stupid. whenever the enemy has one, i get my ass handed to me.
That's because all weapons have an absolute range limit, which doesn't make sense in space. Snipers should be ungodly accurate, but everything should be able to lob rounds at the other side of the map, and have them reach. Flak should basically hit everything with pebbles after its range.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 04:25:17 pm »

It's mostly a matter of the play style they're going for. Faux-tactical lobfests across hundreds of kilometers of space doesn't make for good cinematics, at the very least. Having hard range caps means that you have to get up close and personal, and this means that things like situational awareness and maneuvering actually become important.
Pages: [1] 2 3