Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: You wanna rescue the world?  (Read 16887 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: You wanna rescue the world?
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2015, 01:43:45 pm »

Do you need testers that badly?    :P

I need everything that badly. I need testers, I need coders, I need website designers, if you have any skill in anything chances are pretty good that you can help.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 01:49:12 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2015, 01:48:21 pm »

Wow, was last in this thread last night...DAT ESCALATION
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2015, 01:57:11 pm »

Ehh, it got things moving.  I'm trying to find some solid numbers on fertilizers, but can't come up with the right search terms to show me the amounts and effects of synthetic/natural fertilizers.  Lots of stuff on ecological impact after use, but I already know that part, I want data on production impact.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2015, 01:59:23 pm »

...Because very few people are willing to adopt the vegetarian diet.
Because the vegetarian diet threatens your masculinity?
Seriously, no-one is telling you to stop eating meat altogether. We're just saying that eating less meat is the easiest way to make a difference if you want to stop (or slow down) climate change.

Ehh, it got things moving.  I'm trying to find some solid numbers on fertilizers, but can't come up with the right search terms to show me the amounts and effects of synthetic/natural fertilizers.  Lots of stuff on ecological impact after use, but I already know that part, I want data on production impact.
That is a very weak argument, and you won't find any evidence to support it. Trust me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:04:08 pm by surqimus »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2015, 02:03:25 pm »

What about that soylent stuff? I bet we could figure out how to produce that in a pretty carbon efficient fashion. Even if we only go to eating that for half our meals, it should have a fairly significant effect.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:05:05 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2015, 02:04:42 pm »

And I honestly eagerly await your results! Hard data always trumps random claims.

Will you also report your findings if they are negative? In return, I'll give you a free argument: grazing animals can be used on lands where grasses can grow, but which are otherwise less suited for crop production.

((Ther are good points to counter this, of course, but I'll let others have stab at that first, would be a quite meaningless gesture otherwise.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2015, 02:09:45 pm »

Actually if you just eat chicken your carbon footprint decreases significantly.

The high carbon emission rate for meat is typically for Cow.

Except "Meat Lover" doesn't actually give what meats it is including. :P

So... Eat more chicken and save the world.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2015, 02:12:50 pm »

I'd be okay with that. It even has the bonus of inhumane cruelty towards chickens.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2015, 02:13:38 pm »

Actually, these reports I'm finding right now are telling me that Agriculture (nitrogen fixation) is responsible for 74% of N2O produced by humans yearly and animal waste management accounts for only 5%, and that humans are responsible for 40% of N2O (a greenhouse gas) production worldwide yearly... That's kind of scary, maybe vegetarian is actually the WORST thing we can do...  Still looking.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2015, 02:14:00 pm »

I'd be okay with that. It even has the bonus of inhumane cruelty towards chickens.

Mmmm Mmmm, that is some fine Kentucky Fried Cruelty.

Actually, these reports I'm finding right now are telling me that Agriculture (nitrogen fixation) is responsible for 74% of N2O produced by humans yearly and animal waste management accounts for only 5%, and that humans are responsible for 40% of N2O (a greenhouse gas) production worldwide yearly... That's kind of scary, maybe vegetarian is actually the WORST thing we can do...  Still looking.

It actually gets worse for the specialty crops required for vegetarian diets to work.

By the by N2O isn't a carbon gas.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:16:10 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2015, 02:18:34 pm »

... uh, considering there's not a C in the chemical formula N2O not being a carbon gas should be kinda' self-evident?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2015, 02:19:11 pm »

No, but the EPA lists it as a component of calculated carbon footprint, I'm still searching.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2015, 02:19:50 pm »

Actually if you just eat chicken your carbon footprint decreases significantly.

The high carbon emission rate for meat is typically for Cow.

Except "Meat Lover" doesn't actually give what meats it is including. :P

So... Eat more chicken and save the world.
You are absolutely right. Lots of chicken + no beef = a step forward. It's that simple, really.
Please, please take a look at this. It's got a lot of research behind it, and it's very illustrative.

Can't stop now, we are in crank territory.

It actually gets worse for the specialty crops required for vegetarian diets to work.
What. The. Fuck.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:23:51 pm by surqimus »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2015, 02:25:39 pm »

Cattle farming in the USA uses feed produced from growing crops.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2015, 02:27:48 pm »

This is the source on that, so don't go mouthing off, http://epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/gases/n2o.html.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16