Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: You wanna rescue the world?  (Read 16893 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You wanna rescue the world?
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2015, 12:36:25 pm »

My advice for rescuing the world is probably to create some sort of world food initiative...

As well as provide low income housing, programs for low income individuals and family, some sort of available psychiatric help for those who cannot afford it, fixing the legal system, create flexible caps on pollution rates.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2015, 12:36:53 pm »

Large scale solutions can only be implemented when the necessary infrastructure to support them exists, that infrastructure does not exist at this time.  You cannot solve the large interconnected issues if you cannot solve the smaller scale issues that make up the large ones.  As a group you keep talking about trying to alter fundamental aspects of the system without regard to the fact that you have to tear down the system and rebuild it to support your solution.  If we cannot fix little things, then big things are beyond us.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2015, 12:37:36 pm »

It is more telling that there are more people who want to actually "correct" NullForceOmega who, for all they know, isn't even wrong in his point of view from his situation. (Yes, being in dire straights DOES narrow your priorities significantly)

Then they actually care about the topic.

Which yeah, is typical Bay12 "You're the problem" mentality... but that is to me the more interesting thing about this topic.

No one just lets NullForceOmega live. He MUST be wrong. You all must be justified in your thinking.

When really what he says doesn't affect your arguments in anyway. It is why I originally painted it as more of a "Your entitled".

He literally asked for plausible ideas one can employ. We give him one, and later provide proof against his baseless claim.

Either way, if he is in a position where he cannot do a lot to improve things, then I will never say he is at fault. We are not in here to blame people, this is not a competition to be most eco-friendly. We are asking that people do what they can, within reasonable limits, because a lot of people can do more but simply choose not to.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2015, 12:40:40 pm »

Large scale solutions can only be implemented when the necessary infrastructure to support them exists, that infrastructure does not exist at this time.  You cannot solve the large interconnected issues if you cannot solve the smaller scale issues that make up the large ones.  As a group you keep talking about trying to alter fundamental aspects of the system without regard to the fact that you have to tear down the system and rebuild it to support your solution.  If we cannot fix little things, then big things are beyond us.
I have a difficult life too. I'd like to hear some ideas from your end. But maybe that's part of the problem, it's difficult to gain working perspective over these issues when you're facing poverty and an utter lack of expendable time.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2015, 12:40:51 pm »

Well I am just going to say this

There is nothing you really can do. You might be surprised but the residential sector doesn't "pollute" all that much. Heck even the old "Conserve electricity" is basically outright meaningless because of how much the residential power grid is dwarfed by the industrial one.

Anything that needs to be done needs to be done on a less personal level. Meaning you have to actually "fight city hall"

SURE you could switch to vegetarianism and go "Yep I did my part" except that your diet is only possible because people eat meat. We couldn't support the same population on a healthy vegetarian diet.

You could use less electricity but with how power is generated nowadays you aren't actually "using up more resources" by doing so.

You could recycle... but we.. that has a lot of other problems.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:43:35 pm by Neonivek »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2015, 12:42:50 pm »

Pure vegetarian diets require vitamin supplements, i.e. processed goods.  I'm already scraping the bottom of the barrel for enough cash to function on with a wife an two kids, don't try to convince me to radically alter basic nutrition requirements, vegetarianism is expensive in the US.  I don't drive anywhere, though my wife drives to and from MSU daily, I said low-cost, as in I can do it with materials on hand or very cheaply acquired.
I am a vegetarian that lives healthily, without any shortages, and I don't take supplements. It also doesn't need to cost a lot more, HOWEVER, it does take some more effort to maintain a balanced diet. If the food prices are radically different where you live, the situation might be different, but I cannot assess that without knowing exactly where you live and what the prices of various goods are over there.

And to support the anecdote here are some sources on the most common lacking nutrients and how to get them from a vegetarian diet.

That's why I'm suggesting small lifestyle changes.

Fo another of those, car pooling. Colleagues and fellow students don't normally bite or just want to get you into their car to kidnap you.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2015, 12:49:10 pm »

Supply and demand. More people become vegetarian, then the industry will adapt to meet the new demands.

Well I am just going to say this

There is nothing you really can do. You might be surprised but the residential sector doesn't "pollute" all that much. Heck even the old "Conserve electricity" is basically outright meaningless because of how much the residential power grid is dwarfed by the industrial one.

Anything that needs to be done needs to be done on a less personal level. Meaning you have to actually "fight city hall"

3 things: that is again avoiding personal responsability by pointing to others/other institutions. And, if political activism is indeed the way forward, then what you can do is: political activism. Thirdly, I doubt the basis of this claim, because agriculture is such a big polluter.

Again, in a capitalist society, the consumer has the power, in theory, to change things by actively choosing certain alternatives. Usability of this may vary by area.

o vegetarianism and go "Yep I did my part" except that your diet is only possible because people eat meat. We couldn't support the same population on a healthy vegetarian diet.
Unless you can provide some proof or sources, this claim is baseless. So, for sport, I claim the exact opposite.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2015, 12:55:53 pm »

We should move the conversation to a "I can't save the world" thread, that way this one could still be interesting.   :-[
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2015, 12:57:12 pm »

And what, Radio, do you propose we do with the millions of head of cattle that now function as part of our basic infrastructure?  Set them free to die of disease and over grazing within a year?  Terminate them then figure out how we're going to dispose of untold tons of rotting meat?  What are you going to do about the fertilization requirements of the vegetables you need to grow to feed your populace?

You have no plan.  This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that you're off in lala land.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2015, 12:57:48 pm »

I do agree that the personal level stuff, while sorta useful, is just too small to mean much. That's why I was suggesting that we need some way to take large scale action. Did anyone see my post beside Graknorke?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2015, 01:26:23 pm »

And what, Radio, do you propose we do with the millions of head of cattle that now function as part of our basic infrastructure?  Set them free to die of disease and over grazing within a year?  Terminate them then figure out how we're going to dispose of untold tons of rotting meat?  What are you going to do about the fertilization requirements of the vegetables you need to grow to feed your populace?

You have no plan.  This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that you're off in lala land.

We slaughter and eat them, of course. They are here, it would be a waste of resources not to. What, did you think a change like this happens overnight? Don't be ridiculous, as I said, as supply for vegetarian products rise and meat based products decrease, the industry will adapt.

Also, do you realise that a lot of farmland in the US is being used to grow crops to feed animals to slaugher? We could convert this already in use farmland into growing crops for direct consumption. Remember, animals waste a lot of resources for the same amount of nutrition.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 01:29:51 pm by Radio Controlled »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2015, 01:29:18 pm »

Those same animals also provide most of the fertilizer for said crops, so if we kill them, we have to use alternatives that will without a doubt require processing, shipping, storage, and have as large or larger footprints than the damned cattle.  No, obviously it doesn't happen overnight, or in fact at all, because there is no popular support for the idea, and there probably never will be.  To be clear, the very first result when googling ' percentage of vegetarians' states that only 3.2% of the adult population in the US are vegetarians, why?  Because very few people are willing to adopt the vegetarian diet.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 01:33:37 pm by NullForceOmega »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2015, 01:34:24 pm »

As I said, complicated interrelated problems that need to be solved as a cohesive whole. I still think we can solve them, but it'll be difficult. In order to do so, I think we need some way of effectively harnessing lots of brainpower, hence my project.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2015, 01:37:41 pm »

The majority of modern fertilizers are actually either mined phosphates or based on ammonia made using the Haber process nowadays. At least here in the USA.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2015, 01:38:50 pm »

Those same animals also provide most of the fertilizer for said crops, so if we kill them, we have to use alternatives that will without a doubt require processing, shipping, storage, and have as large or larger footprints than the damned cattle.  No, obviously it doesn't happen overnight, or in fact at all, because there is no popular support for the idea, and there probably never will be.

We use synthetic fertilisers on a large scale. We couldn't have modern agriculture without it. These do not need animals to produce them (well, human workers, but whatevs). Secondly, again, animals are so innefficient that they consume more resources than their fertiliser gives back to the soil. Hell, where I live there are problems with getting rid of excess animal crap!

Also, this was a discussion about what you can do. Saying 'I don't wanna go veggie because not enough other people will' is again making excuses to avoid your personal responsibility.

As I said, complicated interrelated problems that need to be solved as a cohesive whole. I still think we can solve them, but it'll be difficult. In order to do so, I think we need some way of effectively harnessing lots of brainpower, hence my project.

Do you need testers that badly?    :P
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 01:40:52 pm by Radio Controlled »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16