Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Void•Black: A Hard Science Fiction Adventure  (Read 19832 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: Void•Black: A Hard Science Fiction Adventure
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2015, 03:34:11 am »

I don't think we need to concern ourselves with the atmosphere and all that. We probably won't go planetside often, according to GUNIN.

What scientific breakthroughs are commonly used in daily life on colonies? Do they have flying cars or regular cars? Etc. What about architecture and construction? Any breakthroughs in those fields? I want to know how fast the colonies can develop.

I like the idea of going to New Hope. A larger, more established colony would likely have more goods to sell at cheaper prices. I'll also go with Tiruin.
* Tiruin was doing Star Wars Reference.
[/sub][/sub]
But that's just me being silly ._.
* Cheesecake doesn't get the reference. T_T

While we're on the note of Star Wars, why don't we rip off of it and call the money credits?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2015, 08:27:07 pm »

Episode IV is called A New Hope. :P

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2015, 08:30:34 pm »

Episode IV is called A New Hope. :P

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhscrewmehhhhhhhh
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2015, 08:47:32 pm »

Even I got that one.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2015, 01:17:40 am »

I think I'll join. Sheet in coming soon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Going to go for either a medic or a roboticist.
Draig is looking for a roboticist and you're the only other one I'm pretty sure, so I just wanted to make sure I reviewed this one before he started an interview.

Just a few complaints:
- Colonies are more like very large cities, the worlds aren't populated like Earth is. That means the only place where countries could feasibly exist are on Mars, which is the only place that has a large enough population, but since Earth went to hell countries don't really exist anymore. At least not in the way you and I think of them.
- There hasn't been a large-scale screenshock since the Earth genocide. Nowadays getting killed by screen shock is fairly uncommon but still enough of a problem that it's conceivable both your character's parents were killed by it simultaneously.
- As for piracy, I should probably clarify exactly what kind of piracy goes on in this world (not the kind you'd think). Sort of like back in the old days of sail, space belongs to no one nation, so piracy is a crime against humanity. That means if you get caught pirating the penalty is death. In space you can nearly always see anyone coming as long as you have IR scopes (i.e. stealth is impossible in space; I won't try to explain why, there's some good reading material elsewhere on the net (warning: projectrho exaggerates sometimes, a ship on a burn while running life support isn't exactly detectable across an entire solar system)), which means that if a civilian ship sees a suspicious vessel burning up to them, you bet they're going to be on the squawkbox reporting their contact in case something bad happens to them. Not to mention a hostile boarding is a really risky prospect since you can bet the victims aren't going to willingly let you dock with them. The chances of getting onboard a ship that doesn't want you aboard are pretty slim when they can change speed to keep you from coming alongside them and do things like dog all their metal airtight hatches, change the breathing mix inside the ship and depressurize compartments to harass boarders, meanwhile they're describing your ship to the police so they can catch you the next time you dock. So straight up piracy doesn't really happen, but there's still tons of illegal ship-related stuff going on. For example: smuggling (this happens all the time to avoid expensive taxes or to transport contraband) or barratry/premeditated mutiny (criminals conspire together to get hired by a single captain, then steal his ship and cargo while they're in flight, or a ship pretends it's in distress (false distress is a serious crime) and they capture the ship that way, then they destroy the ship to erase the evidence).

E: Oh and also, criminals waging war against the police with their robo army is a little over the top. Robits aren't that good. :P
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:22:32 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2015, 01:40:47 am »

:P Edits be happening. Or entirely new sheet.

Is this okay?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:15:04 am by Pencil_Art »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2015, 03:57:08 pm »

Yep, that fixes all the problem I had with it. We'll see what the Captain thinks.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2015, 12:41:32 am »

Interview: Svera

"Mr. Svera," Blackjack began slowly, looking at the young man's papers with incredulity, "I must say that I have a number of questions about your qualifications. You're university trained, with a solid record. You have a corporate resume a matching ident profile. A call to your contact list confirmed that you were a model employee; dependable, hard-working, and stable- if a little quiet." Blackjack leaned forward, letting the confusion he felt show plainly on his face. "Then, for no reason that I can see, you hired on to a ship. A ship that you knew so little about that you became embroiled in a premeditated mutiny that proved fatal for a number of your crewmen. A mutiny that you walked away from without a scratch." Blackjack settled back, tapping his fingers against the table contemplatively. "Perhaps it's the paranoia of an old soldier, but something doesn't add up. Why did you embark on that ship in the first place, how did you get out from under a mutiny, and why are you so anxious to get back in the sky again when you could land a rock-bound corporate gig almost anywhere?"
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2015, 09:47:40 am »

"The pirates managed to keep this all very covert and quiet, and I was just looking for a job. Hard times, I suppose. As for how I walked away without a scratch, let's say that something that can walk an talk makes a heck of a lot more money then wires and scrap metal."

He contemplates the last question.

"I simply don't like the monotony of sitting in an and doing paperwork, if you know what I mean. I've always loved the freedom of space itself, as well."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2015, 11:26:39 pm »

Blackjack arched an eyebrow. "Let's try to avoid generalities, Mr. Svera, I find them to be irritating at best and fatal at worst. I have a dire need of a robotics expert, but I have no desire to find my ship re-programmed to vent the atmosphere and leave my corpse bugged while it flies my cargo somewhere nice. I understand the need to get away from a desk job, but I can't tell whether your explanation of your escape sounds like bribery or shill work. If these pirates of yours were interested in other roboticists, why did the others end up taking bulkhead naps?" Blackjack wasn't smiling now. He was intent on Svera, more than he'd been on his other hires. Chainsaw had briefly been a 'pirate' but, from all he'd heard, pirate there had basically meant a severely lapsed shipping license, a propensity for illegal cargo, and bad bookkeeping. Scabbers who engineered mutinies... That was the sort of thing that gave a man nightmares.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2015, 04:20:33 am »

The long awaited response :):

"In an answer to a previous statement that I do not believe I answered, I did not in fact get out without a scratch. Many pirates thought it funny to subject me to numerous quite horrendous beatings." A smear of dried blood could be seen on his face, leading from his nose. "They needed an engineer to fix something. I heard them talking as they came up the corridor towards my bunkroom. They kept going: "Someone needs to fix it, dunno who. Captains dun goof and rekked the drive and engine. Stoopid, my 'pinion". I knew how to fix it. Probably. Tried to keep quiet as they came by, but they came in anyway. Think they were just trying everyone's doors." At this point, Thomas was shivering slightly now. "They almost killed me before I yelled that I could repair it, whatever it was. Had to take the gamble. Confused the 'ell out of those two grunts. Gave me to their leader, or however close he came to being one. Told me to fix it, or my life was forfeit. Easy to see which option I took. Asked what they were doing, they said don't ask. With their fists. Very diplomatic." He shivered slightly, opened his eyes, and looked around. He looked almost surprised. "Anyway, I proved to be almost indispensable to those pirates. I helped them fix any number of smaller problems as well. They were a bit creative with their choice of weaponry, and if I hadn't helped them, they would have been drifting for who knows how long. I'm not sure, but I think the captain knows that I saved him, and his subconscious let me go. In case I didn't elaborate enough, I repaired the engine, and had to also patch together some of the systems they had accidentally damaged. It was a big spend on my part, with most of my belongings being scrapped to fix the ship. I had some metal and computers in the cargo hold. Those pirates definitely didn't know how to repair it. Made it even worse, probably. We were having a bit of a problem with it when they showed themselves, too. Do you want to get a statement from the pirates?" This last sentence was a joke. Thomas immediately became serious again, however.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 11:46:07 pm by Pencil_Art »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2015, 10:07:41 am »

I fixed the drive that enabled us to travel at extremely high speeds through space, and an engine that allowed for any movement at all.
There's no hyperspace or FTL in this universe, so there would only be one engine.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2015, 11:47:17 pm »

Fixed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2015, 08:08:53 pm »

Blackjack blinked several times, looking at the blood on the man's nose. Surely the man couldn't mean... "Mr. Svera, how long ago did this happen to you?"
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2015, 01:44:20 am »

(I'm extremely late to the party, but I have a robotocist. >.>)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:22:37 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17