Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Void•Black: A Hard Science Fiction Adventure  (Read 19835 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Void•Black: A Hard Science Fiction Adventure
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2015, 12:31:15 am »

Interview: Vantasa

Eagerness was a part of Blackjack's nature that he tried to suppress, but it was, at times, rather difficult. Now, the Wilhelmina almost ready for launch, a qualified robotics engineer across the table, and an only partially synthetic turkey sandwich in front of him, was a difficult time indeed. "Your record is impressive, Vantasa. Repeat trespassing, top marks on your academy training, repeat burglary, a recommendation from the inventors society, misconduct and felony evasion charges, a classified development contract, and, considering where you're sitting, I'm going to guess that the same contract didn't exactly pan gold." Blackjack smiled at the young miscreant, his list sounding more joking than accusatory. "I'd like to get to know you,  but, in all honesty, I'm on a timeline and it's your abilities that count. That in mind: pop quiz," Blackjack said, drawing out a slightly dented device made from grey plastic. "Solve this puzzle so that all pins are withdrawn from the board. You are not allowed to take apart the board, and you have until I finish lunch," Blackjack added, picking up the sandwich from his desk as soon as he slid the device over the Vantasa. "Fire when ready."

The box is a cube with four buttons on the cardinal faces, and four pins top face. The four pins are arranged as though to mark out the points of a square roughly half the height and width of the face. Three of the pins are depressed, their heads flush with the box. One pin, the lower left, is withdrawn from the box, revealing its structure to be similar to that of a steel nail. The head of the pin is circular, and roughly twice the diameter of the solid column beneath it. On the cardinal faces of the box, in the middle of each face, is a single button.  Marks on the faces of the box indicate that the top button controls the topmost two pins, the left button controls the leftmost two pins, and so forth.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2015, 01:19:24 am »

((*looks shifty* hey, I've definitely done it :P does this mean I get to join instead? :P))
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 01:28:13 am by Adragis029 »
thincake

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2015, 03:20:44 am »

Purge it with fire.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2015, 03:30:22 am »

I'll vote Marlowe. It's got plenty of planets to trade with,
And little land area? I'm uncertain--we're only receiving geographical(?) data, not the socio-economic statuses of the areas. I think. :P
I'm voting for New Hope, and can edit this post to reflect the idea IC.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2015, 03:47:36 am »

And little land area? I'm uncertain--we're only receiving geographical(?) data, not the socio-economic statuses of the areas. I think. :P
Then what criteria did you use to choose New Hope?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2015, 03:53:27 am »

I'm very sorry that I couldn't warn you sooner, but I only just read this. I am not going to allow this sheet. The character is sporting quite a few signs of being a mary sue.

- He's exceptionally accomplished for his age, but not because of training or experience. He is simply the best.
- He wasn't punished by the police the third time he was arrested even though someone would normally get in trouble in that situation. His mistakes are quickly and easily forgiven with no consequences. Why would the government just let him go after apparently coercing him into joining the secret black project?
- He somehow welded his way out of a police van without anyone noticing. He just happened to have the exact tools he needed in order to get out of this scrape.
- He is terrible at interacting with people, and yet acquired a job that requires communicating effectively with people.
- The whole secret black project part of the backstory doesn't build up or explain who the character is, it seemingly serves only to show how much of a badass he is and give him an excuse to join the story.

Thank God you held back and didn't decide to have your character solve screenshock, the problem that is at the heart of the entire setting, because that would have been really bad. >_>

Yeah that's all I could think to come up with, statistics-wise. If you can tell me stuff you want to know about I would appreciate it. Gig and I don't yet have a concrete idea of what these places are like, which is why I'm not asking you guys to vote right away. You're free to decide now and change your pick later, of course.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 03:58:20 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2015, 03:59:57 am »

I got PPE'd by the GM ._.
@Kevak:
- He's exceptionally accomplished for his age, but not because of training or experience. He is simply the best.
Meaning you need to detail the other side of the story. :P I know the general notion of a technosavant, but the details are missing.
- He is terrible at interacting with people, and yet acquired a job that requires communicating effectively with people.
This is possible in reality. Question is -how-, for you, dear writer. ;3

Then what criteria did you use to choose New Hope?
And that's where I put IC notes! (Sorry)

In the months in between, during the crew recruitment, Helen entertained herself with a simple 'chart' the Captain created. Opinions on neighboring systems!

Without any prior information on any such systems--as was her knowledge due to colonial life--she decided based on prior experience.

Always a place with Atmosphere. Though I'm not sure if this means 'breathable or liveable atmosphere', or that we'd require some..kind of...um, gravity-suit? Maybe?

Her eyes skimmed the list, and she found herself attracted to the second and third notes.

So we're guessing, and probably voting. I'm casting mine on New Hope. Comparing the population, the former is greater than the latter, though the latter has more planets in question.

Problem is, we're a trade ship. What matters is the surface area, compared to the (sentient) population. More space would generally equal more opportunity for development, and New Hope has more districts, land area, and population compared to planet count. The latter has low land area...though unsure if that's -per- planet, or in total.

So I guess I'll vote for the former until more details pop up. I wouldn't want this crew to leg it on lesser opportunities. Though I should ask the Captain about that.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2015, 04:05:27 am »

That makes more sense. I'll cast my vote with Tiruin.

How much starting money do we start off with anyway? And what's the currency called? I'm thinking of starting a business on one planet when I get enough cash.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2015, 04:15:09 am »

Damnit Gunin, I held off on that interview for five days. I thought you had him approved. *grumble grumble*

Adragis, if you can make a robotics expert you're welcome to the same puzzle.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2015, 04:20:37 am »

How much starting money do we start off with anyway?

And what's the currency called? I'm thinking of starting a business on one planet when I get enough cash.
Some! I haven't decided yet. The Captain's net value will all be in assets (the ship, the cargo, his apartment/house) after the trip begins. As for the rest of you, typically you'll each have some small savings or investments along with some pocket change, as well as an apartment if you wish. You'll also have valuables that pertain to your job. For example the EVA spec probably owns his own hardsuit.

I didn't think about that. Probably I'll call it something suitably generic like Universal Currency.

Damnit Gunin, I held off on that interview for five days. I thought you had him approved. *grumble grumble*

Adragis, if you can make a robotics expert you're welcome to the same puzzle.
Yeah I'm really sorry about that, particularly for having to drop that on Kevak.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2015, 04:56:17 am »

I like the idea of going to New Hope. A larger, more established colony would likely have more goods to sell at cheaper prices. I'll also go with Tiruin.

In regards to land area, they seem a little small. If the land area refers to the entire surface area of the planet, then the Hawaiian Islands are larger. The smallest inhabited Hawaiian Island, Niihau, has a surface area of 180 km2.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2015, 01:05:24 pm »

That's land area for the colony city. The colonies on world are mostly one large metropolis.

Atmosphere means breathable atmosphere. The others do have an atmosphere present, but trying to breath it would rather ruin your day.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2015, 06:15:55 pm »

Fair enough.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2015, 09:47:37 pm »

I'm good with anywhere, really.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2015, 03:01:38 am »

I like the idea of going to New Hope. A larger, more established colony would likely have more goods to sell at cheaper prices. I'll also go with Tiruin.
* Tiruin was doing Star Wars Reference.
But that's just me being silly ._.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:39:51 am by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17