Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Post-History: Freeform RPG; Revival  (Read 11949 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post-History: Freeform RPG; Revival
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2015, 11:13:46 pm »

Revival

Midday.

Kyle grabs the man's arm before rolling so he's on top hopefully causing the drunk to fall so he could elbow drop him.
I continue to twirl and test my new weapon, until I see Kyle's scuffle with some other guy.
"Wehyo, ehyo. WewEYHO! Eh, heyo, eh oh, no!"
I then put my Dumb-Star to use, wrapping it around a limb or the neck of the guy fighting Kyle and bringing the poor guy down to the ground by pulling him over my back like a judo flip.
"While the crazy guy's ramblings might actually work on people this time because of the crisis, there's a fight going on right now. Can't have that on my watch."

Take my Baton out and smack the drunk upside the head.

[Auto-Success (I've rolled for this fight about 8 times now and each time you all have come out victorious.] Kyle grapples with Artie for a while, rumbling with him across the ground until Whatever and Joshua appear as reinforcements, the former wrapping up Artie's legs with his dumb-star contraption and the latter beating him over the head with his baton while he struggles around. It's not much of a fight, it's more along the lines of a farce as the three of them struggle to contain one drunk. After a few minutes of fighting, Artie finally concedes out of fatigue rather than getting hurt, and all fighters collapses in exhaustion.

"Dammit! Not Stahl! All right, you bastards, I'll give you that kill. But he'll if you'll get any others after this."

Lillith begrudgingly accepts her failure and continues the level.

[3+2] Lilith pays tribute to her fallen general but continues to finish the level. The next level is less treacherous, none of her soldiers die but she ends up using a lot of valuable resources and there won't be an opportunity to restock everyone's inventory until they reach the next town over, which is likely filled with bandits that they will have to clear out beforehand. 
The light on her DS goes down by a tick.

Explore the woods more.

Zachary detaches from the group to scout into the woodlands. His mechanic brother Anthony tinkers around with some sort of metal device. [5] Anthony drops the devices and it sparkles and crackles, erupting into a small explosion, causing a small amount of panic in the immediate area with everyone still on edge from the fire. A few of the guards bark at Anthony and he replies with a shrug, not assuming responsibility, moving to his next invention.

[8] The woods are filled with trees and shrubbery of all sort, but what's really interesting are the abundant quantity of small holes in the ground, which are home to some sort of creature, and the squirrels that jump from tree to tree. The region is brimming with flora, even if it's mostly smaller animals. The thought of the creatures causes Zachary to salivate subconsciously; it's not even that he's hungry, but after years of eating processed canned goods packed away in the reserves of the vault, the idea of getting fresh meat is appealing even if it is nothing but small game.

Ignore the joint and continue to try to convince other survivors to convert to the cult of the Elder Gods.

We who have survived have been given a chance to repent and rid ourselves of our arrogant disbelief! We must appease the Great Old Ones before their wrath can be focused on us again! Know that not all will survive nor will we all live our lives in comfort but the Elder Ones have spared us from the fires of creation when they bathed the earth in a unimaginable firestorm and now once again spare us from another inferno! Repent while you can for I doubt they shall spare us again!

[8+2] Noah shoves the marijuana joint and Beans' arm away, occupied instead with reaching out to more potential followers. He gathers a crowd with his tale that time runs short before the Elder Ones pass their judgement on the remainder of survivors with another great Firestorm. The Great Flood was the first Cleansing of the Elder Ones, (definitely the Elder Ones, and not a flood caused by some heretical false God(s)) the Nuclear Storm was the second, the Vault Fire was the third, and the next one in whatever form it takes will not leave any survivors! Several people run to inscribe their names in blood, (accomplished by just a small prick of the thumb) into Noah's Tome, assigning their allegiances to the Old Gods. A few skeptics speak up, criticizing Noah's preaching from a rational level, at which point Noah warns that they can face the Old Gods with their rationalism and see where that gets them. That shuts them up, perhaps not because they agree with Noah but he yells at them in tongues until they submit as well as Noah's new converts staring them down.

"Jim... I think Osborn needs to be either controlled by someone or..." he lowers his voice "Dealed with otherwise... He unsettles the people and we will have chaos on our hands soon."

Guide my students in their tasks.

"Well then kids, lets treat this like a field trip. I know, we never, ever had a field trip before. This is a grand opportunity for us to learn new things! Before the war there was a movement for youths called Scouts and today I would like for our class to recreate them. We will learn today an in the following days the skills needed for survival in the wilderness and the role of camaraderie in our society."

Teach the kids what I remember from my time in the Scouts.

[9+1] George reminisces on his youthful times in the Scouts, sharing his outdoorsman survival knowledge with his class. He explains the proper technique to constructing a fire, how to use the different sorts of sticks and rocks that are found, how to tell when water is clean enough to drink, and how to utilize rope. If only he actually had rope, as well as pocketknife and a box of matches, then he would be able to demonstrate directly how to apply all of these lessons, but the children are captivated with just his words and gestures. This is the first time many of them had heard anything of this sort, as they had spent a majority of their lives in the vault, some had even been born inside its metal confines.

Try to remember if there were any towns are structures from where the radio signal is supposedly coming from.

[?] Starn recalls the layout of Washington, determining if there are towns to the South where the radio signal emanated from earlier. From their current position, just about every town would be to the West towards the coast, where the towns would pop up more frequently before becoming cities and eventually the metropolitan giant Seattle. To the South would just be more forests and mountains, if there were any towns they would be small and rural, dots on any maps of the area if they showed up at all.

Look around for some berry bushes.

[3] Dale takes his handy mnemonic about berries and looks around the shrubberies for edible stuff. On one hand, he finds plenty of bushes practically sagging under the weight of all their berries. On the other hand, the berries are also all covered in black and yellow patterns. They could be eaten as a last resort, and hopefully instead of being lethal they would merely sicken everyone with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches and all sorts of fun symptoms that came with ingesting toxic berries.

"We can leave a few people behind to search for your families, if you want, but we need to focus on survival. I need some of you to look for water, some to get tree bark and branches to build shelter, and the rest of you to look for food."

Assign jobs for people to do, as above.

Jim ends the idleness of the survivors, splitting up into different tasks.
[4] Pools of water are located in one area of the forest that appear drinkable, but no one has attempted to try drinking any of it yet. It is not known what the water is composed of with all the organisms and materials that could be in the environment.
[6] Although the trees in the area are pitiful, enough of their small branches are picked apart to form a pile that could make a large enough fireplace to heat the group, or enough to start constructing the shelter although a few larger, sturdier branches would improve the quality of a shelter greatly over what's currently available.
[3] Food is scarce, besides the poison berries that Dale has been able to locate and the reports of small game. In this location, food sustenance will be difficult based on the current findings.

Find the others they cant have gone far.
[6] Lilly wanders the woods for the group, tumbling through a maze of thorns and rocks, shredding the extended parts of her clothing. At this rate, soon she would be stripped of covering, and with that came the risk of quickly dying from exposure, this was not a friendly environment to be lacking clothing in, but the forest seemed to tear at her every limb. This would be her fate. Actually, she comes across the group after nearing a series of trees, and besides some scratches her clothes seem to be fine. Being alone in these woods plays with the mind...

Meds won't last long. Try to remember some natural painkillers and remedies that I have studied oh-so-long-ago...

[8] John's memories of more traditional medicines come from back during his days of studying in medical school, where at the time they were studied more for learning about the history of medicine rather than for practical use. There were a host of plants and herbs that could be used with documented success: Ginger, Garlic, Ginseng, Peppermint, Lavender, Thyme, Chamomile, Dandelion. Those are among the first he remembers as well as the most easy to identify and find. Any of them ground up and ingested can fix many conditions, though he isn't sure what sort of plant life Washington supports.

"Sure, I'll get some food.  No charge."

Look around for food (berries, game) a little, but mostly look around for any valuable salvage that might've been abandoned nearby before the bombs fell.

[7] Beans stops trying to get Noah high and do something beneficial for the group, looking for food. Well, in reality he's looking for salvage. Scouring the landscape, Beans disturbs something in the dirt. Clearing away debris, he finds a tire, a whole complete tire showing no signs of wear and tear. Even the rubber is completely intact, being buried in the ground must have acted like a preservative. The rest of the car, if there was one, is no where to be seen.

Followers of the Elder Ones began practicing incantations. They seek out Noah, only to find that he has vanished with no trace left behind.

Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:05:18 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2015, 12:16:13 am »

"Hey Anthony, now's probably not the time to tinker around with stuff or whatever you mechanics do. Maybe help that guy out with his radio or whatever. I don't know. Actually, hold on for a sec."

"Everyone else! I have good news! I just found a crap-ton of plants that we could maybe possibly eat and a bunch of squirrels we could eat as well. We could get some bows and arrows or traps to get some for food, then we can look around for a place to settle down or we can move in with someone else."

Get Anthony to make some bows and arrows since he's a mechanic. Also have him make a few spears.

Find some non-cultists to come with me on an exploration trip and give them the spears Anthony makes, keeping one for myself. You can see why I don't want cultists to come with me...

((If anyone here (besides Prophet) wants to answer Zachary's call for explorers, feel free to join.))
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post-History: Freeform RPG; Establishing "Order"
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2015, 02:24:46 am »

Try to find a decent vantage point to get a good view of the surroundings.

Zachary already did this, do you want to try again?
Yeah, maybe focus on looking for birds, reflective things, or smoke that isn't from our burning vault. Or landmarks.

Missed me.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2015, 04:01:33 am »

Zachary turns to look at the smoking/flaming wreck of the vault.

"Oh shit. Listen everyone! We've gotta work quickly before that smoke attracts peoples' attentions. For all we know, some raiders or mutants saw it and are on their way to rape us.
Let's stop playing Pokemon on our DS and worshipping dark gods for now until our position is secure. Then we can go back to fighting Pikachu and thanking the beings that killed all your loved ones and left us survivors to get raped by raiders because their prophet says to write in a book instead of...well, doing anything productive."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:26:23 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

blazing glory

« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2015, 05:57:27 am »

Zachary turns to look at the smoking/flaming wreck of the vault.

"Oh shit. Listen everyone! We've gotta work quickly before that smoke attracts peoples' attentions. For all we know, some raiders or mutants saw it and are on their way to rape us.
Let's stop playing Pokemon on our DS and worshipping dark gods for now until our position is secure. Then we can go back to fighting Pikachu and thanking the beings that killed all your loved ones and left us survivors to get raped by raiders because their prophet says to write in a book instead of...well, doing anything productive."
"Mutants? Be realistic, this isn't like your comic books, I doubt any slavering monsters are going to come down here and eat us all."

"At any rate if anyone comes down here with hostile intentions while being even modestly equipped we are probably all going to die even if we pick up a few pieces of sharp wood."

((I bet I'm going to be the guy who disbelieves everything until he gets eaten.))

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2015, 06:32:49 am »

((Thought I edited that bit out. :-\))

"Yeah, I know there aren't any mutants, especially since it's only been, what, 8 years? I don't read comics, by the way. But I'm not saying that we need to make a bunch of pointy sticks to fight off the bandits. I'm saying we need to get organised, gather up some food, and move somewhere else. The spears are for bears or wild dogs or whatever else survived the apocalypse."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 06:45:00 am by Andres »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2015, 08:55:48 am »

"If it's on a handheld it's Pokemon with you people, isn't it? Like I said, gimme a job and I'll get to it. But for now, leave me alone."

Lillith presses on!

Black lives matter.

Nunzillor

« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2015, 09:53:18 pm »

Beans returns to the group.  "Hey I got your 'firewood' right here.  I'll just put it on everyone's tab, alright?"

Take a few sticks, light them on fire from some of the flaming debris of the vault, and then light the tire on fire with the sticks.  Perfect dangerous fire.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:59:51 pm by Nunzillor »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2015, 09:56:55 pm »

Kyle gets up and goes to get fire wood.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2015, 11:19:08 am »

Try to find a decent vantage point to get a good view of the surroundings.

Zachary already did this, do you want to try again?
Yeah, maybe focus on looking for birds, reflective things, or smoke that isn't from our burning vault. Or landmarks.

Missed me.

[10+1] Tucker treks up a nearby hill and finds a great oaken tree sitting at its crown. He climbs the tree, getting off on one of its great branches to look around. He can see the mountain range swelling and lowering in patterns all around. The sky is plentiful with flocks of birds of all shapes and sizes, from the robin to the falcon. The most important discovery he makes is off a body of water far to the South, a lake that shimmers in the sunlight. Not only is there this great lake, but a structure is attached to it, a monolith of concrete; a dam.

Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2015, 11:23:20 am »

Name: Ol' Joe.
Occupation: Telling stories to youngsters about the wasteland, being the exposition giving NPC.
Artifact: A book containing a huge amount of trivia about the modern wasteland.
Brief Biography: Ol' Joe ain't going much for him. He is old, boring, has a bad voice over and is destined to die somewhere further for plot development reasons.

Inventory:
Health: Normal
Spoiler: Waitlist me please! (click to show/hide)

All have been accepted.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2015, 11:30:25 am »

"Maybe we should move on soon, but we should wait for the fire to die and scavenge the vault."

Keep people working on gathering supplies, and watch the vault fire.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2015, 12:29:01 pm »

Phew, that drunk put up a bigger fight than I expected. Doesn't look like there's anymore peacekeeping to be done for now. Guess I'll help out Jim.

Go assist Jim in organizing the people.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2015, 08:22:12 pm »

Phew, that drunk put up a bigger fight than I expected. Doesn't look like there's anymore peacekeeping to be done for now. Guess I'll help out Jim.

Go assist Jim in organizing the people.
Help jim
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2015, 08:46:48 pm »

"Hey, I spotted a dam and a lake. It's a ways south, but it's a source of fresh water and shelter it looks like."

Head back to the group, share the information about the dam.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8