Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40

Author Topic: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 55)  (Read 89336 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 31)
« Reply #345 on: June 20, 2015, 08:22:42 pm »

"Well, how's the innkeeper's body lookin'?" Leonhard asks the guard.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 20, 2015, 08:52:30 pm »

"Well, how's the innkeeper's body lookin'?" Leonhard asks the guard.

Guard: Well th... Hmm... let me go have a look.

The guard starts heading up the stairs, leaving his post unattended. There don't seem to be any other guards.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 22, 2015, 12:13:42 pm »

Use the quickbow to fire two arrows at the second bonetacle. Then go to the spawn of darkness' side and help Zikal out.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 30)
« Reply #348 on: June 22, 2015, 03:24:42 pm »

Leonhard turns to the stranger astrologer - the one that isn't an accidental murderer. "Any clout to throw around when the investigation team comes? I don't wanna ruin anyone's job." he says, making it clear in his tone he also isn't interested any of them tries to get the guard fired by checking on the scene either. As a mercenary with a family like the one he had, he knows how snobby the more learned people can get and he's rather protective of the more humble professions.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 23, 2015, 07:09:00 pm »

((Hey Pencil_Art, can I get a clarification on what you plan to do next turn?))

[1+1][2+1] You map out a design for a temporary body in your head, although you have a hard time visualizing the aerodynamic properties of bird-like wings when scaled up. Desert windrunners, after all, can only glide when they run and there is sufficient wind. Sand mantas like the one in the town cannot even fly, but only . Only Rocs demonstrate an ability to fly efficiently, but the difference is that Rocs nest high in the mountains, and can only fly at high speeds. They cannot take off without diving off the cliff face.

This means that your spell will give you wings, and you will be able to glide, but you will not be able to take off without a flying start. The trees might be able to give you one, but it will take some effort to climb higher than the treetops.

You do spot a high launching point deeper in the forest which towers even above the rest. A Crimsonhulk. These are not technically trees, but massive colonies of termites situated around a sandy aquifer rich in ashes from ancient forest fires. They often house the nests of birds, in addition to the insects huddled inside. The base of the crimsonhulk is strewn with winding "roots" that cement the structure to nearby trees. These roots are also coincidentally easy to climb, if you can get there.
The structure is located just about thirty meters into the forest. If you can drag yourself through the thinner outer vines, it might be worth it so long as you don't hurt yourself too badly.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:15:21 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 23, 2015, 11:58:29 pm »

Archae starts to fight his way through the forest towards the take-off zone.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 24, 2015, 03:19:18 pm »

Roll 32

Of course there are giant bone tails in the quicksand. Why wouldn't there be? Well, looks like it's time to wing it.

Climb onto the tree and quickly shape-shift into a bird and fly over to the shore.

[5+1][3+1] Wings are much better for travel than legs. In all honesty, you should have shapeshifted into one beforehand so you could get a bird's-eye view of the region. Still, it was better you than the others.

The Vile Spawn of Darkness, with its eyeless body still sprouting shadow-tentacles from its dark mouth and eyes, turns its head toward you and stares in some kind of unholy grimace that you can't even oh goodness what is that.
Vile Spawn of Darkness: Well played.

Before you can turn back to a regular human the second bonetacle, which spawned last turn, moves with surprising speed and lashes out at you.((Bonetacles give enemies -1 defense, but birds get +3 defense being tiny creatures.))
[2][4]/[6][3][6] It barely misses, instead drilling into the sand beneath you. It seems stuck.

Your whole body is burned (1)

You have a stack of spell tome pages and a black cover

You have a bloodied ceremonial dagger (Attack power: 3) (attaches to target and Drains it, suppressing it) (remembering a memory teleports this weapon to your hand)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories (lucid)
You have about thirty Hours
You have a royal goblet, a golden watch, and some jewelry

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

Use the quickbow to fire two arrows at the second bonetacle. Then go to the spawn of darkness' side and help Zikal out.

The quickbow releases two arrows.
[6][4][1]/[6]: The first merely glances the bonetacle and bounces off, landing on the opposite side of the pool.
[6][6][5]/[6]: The second flies wide and lodges itself into a tree, also on the edge of the quicksand pool.

The Vile Spawn of Darkness unleashes a shadow tendril attack, [1][3] sweeping a wide area and [5]/[4][2][2] bisecting the bonetacle completely. ((Vilespawn gets +2 to attack rolls))

The top part of the first bonetacle lands in the mud and starts to sink, having no life left within it.

Two more bonetacles appear, these two being smaller than the others. They will be hard to dodge (-2 enemy defense), but aren't very deadly (1 attack power).

Your whole body is burned (1)
Your left arm is bruised (1)

You have a schematic of an iron arrow trap

You have a steel axe (Attack power: 1) (Deals piercing damage if the attack connects but fails to pierce)
You have an iron mace (Attack power: 2) (If the target has less than 2 damage, deals piercing damage)

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have an uncharged Quickbow (Attack power: 1. Can fire twice per turn. Charging it allows you to fire two arrows per attack, four in one turn)
You have 11 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

Leonhard turns to the stranger astrologer - the one that isn't an accidental murderer. "Any clout to throw around when the investigation team comes? I don't wanna ruin anyone's job." he says, making it clear in his tone he also isn't interested any of them tries to get the guard fired by checking on the scene either. As a mercenary with a family like the one he had, he knows how snobby the more learned people can get and he's rather protective of the more humble professions.

Marco replies with a stern look on his face.
"The people of this town, especially those in the non-clerical professions, regard the Office with a certain degree of dignity which does give us undue power in unrelated affairs. However, as I've stated before, Angstrom is known to be the perpetrator of the task. The chances of this guard being involved are slim, although I can understand your concern for him."
Angstrom: Hey Marco, what's with you turnin' on me all of a sudden? I thought we were pals!
Marco: Personal relationships only serve to cloud the steady progress of science. I will still treat you as a friend when applicable, but my judgements must be made without regard for such things.
Angstrom: That's pretty much the polar opposite of friendship, isn't it?

The guard returns from upstairs with a shocked expression on his face.
"The... the body... it's gone..."
Marco: Since when?
Guard: I last checked an hour ago.

The smell of rot and decay is notably absent, so it appears at first glance that the guard is correct.

Klein lets out a meow and starts hacking.

You have a black Cloak of Ash (protects against Ashlight and fire)

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

Archae starts to fight his way through the forest towards the take-off zone.

[4][2] The smaller vines are easy to part with your walking stick, while the others must be carefully avoided. Nonetheless, you make it through, but find that the crimsonhulk itself is far too smooth and steep to climb by hand to the top. You can get just above the treetops using the base structure, but any further (which is needed to glide effectively) will require specialized climbing techniques.

Should you get to the top, you will be able to soar over the trees to the Lake in almost no time.

Your wing spell is ready. It will give you the power to glide, although gaining altitude will be difficult. (no roll needed)

You have a black Cloak of Ash (protects against Ashlight and fire)
You have a green poison slime with Paralysis

You remember a red, blue, and a green spell-slime (weak)

You have a red resonance crystal.

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have seventy-five Hours

I chuckle and expound on my statement:
"I gave you the true answer. Both of them."
"That question was very well asked. I didn't expect you to get so close. I am a creature of nightmare, but I don't follow the rules you know."

"That answer was a lot more helpful. But it seems you've departed from our previous format."
Efa begins to drag the unwoken body against the ground, featuring almost superhuman strength.

Another monk from the Church hospital appears, styling himself Brother Tam. He wears, in addition to a black monk's robe, a baggy tam o' shanter that artificially inflates the size of his otherwise slim and narrow head. His ears are also pointy, which can only mean one thing.
The monk asks why Efa is dragging a body around. It does seem utterly suspicious, after all.
She begins outlining the story: "We encountered a group of thieves who were stealing books, and they were well-armed. They used magic to silence their use of pistols and rifles, but my magic was far stronger and I was able to catch this one."
Brother Tam: Why them skelly idol worshippin' plookies! I'll have them locked up and forced to starve!
Efa: Well, you have one of them right here for now, if you wish to begin your wrath early.
Brother Tam: That was... a figure of speech. He will be thrown in jail, no doubt. Do you have information on the others?
Efa: I don't think they'll be coming back any time soon.

Efa's cap is destroyed (no longer absorbs damage) and her head is bruised (1)
Efa has a long rifle and 8 bullets (4 attack power)

The former-sentinel is knocked out with (2) damage to his head

Knife Bandit B's torso would have 3 damage by now

It is the 5th hour after noon. Ash is blazing even brighter in the azure sky, burning all exposed objects and adding +1 to all die in a thoughtform roll.
Expected end of Ashstorm: 7th hour.  (Next hour: Turn 42)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:23:44 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 32)
« Reply #352 on: June 24, 2015, 11:30:51 pm »

Archae looks at his slimes and wonders. Would it be possible to make them sort of sticky so that they clung to the wall, and then use them to climb up?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 25, 2015, 12:39:11 pm »

Leonhard lifts an eyebrow in surprise. "Pal, corpses don't just up and vanish. Heard anything before that?" His questioning session is interrupted by Klein, making the mercenary carefully put the black cat on the floor and rub behind his ears like a doting father. "What's up, little buddy? Ate anything strange? Is it that ball of whatever from back then?"
>Yes?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 25, 2015, 04:33:36 pm »

Leonhard lifts an eyebrow in surprise. "Pal, corpses don't just up and vanish. Heard anything before that?" His questioning session is interrupted by Klein, making the mercenary carefully put the black cat on the floor and rub behind his ears like a doting father. "What's up, little buddy? Ate anything strange? Is it that ball of whatever from back then?"

Guard: No... I heard nothing... not that I remember. There were a bunch of bloody faeries in the room though, you don't think they coulda done that, eh? I ain't much familiar with magic stuff.

Klein hacks up the crystal thing from earlier. It seems to be throbbing about on the ground and glowing noticeably red. No wonder the cat had problems. Angstrom leaps away from it, and drops a blank-paged book from his shoulderbag.

Archae looks at his slimes and wonders. Would it be possible to make them sort of sticky so that they clung to the wall, and then use them to climb up?

((Complexity = 1-1 -> 0 turns needed))
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:35:29 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 28, 2015, 04:17:55 pm »

"It looks it's time for the early bird to catch the worm!"

Shift into an Eagle and dive at the immobilized bonetacle.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 28, 2015, 04:41:26 pm »

My buddies seem to have everything under control. Get to safety and make sure Lily is safe as well.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 29, 2015, 12:09:21 am »

Archae decides upon his course of action, and activates the spell. Is it possible to start climbing this turn?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2015, 12:31:52 am »

Archae decides upon his course of action, and activates the spell. Is it possible to start climbing this turn?

You'll use the spell automatically and go to the Lake if that's what you want to do after climbing. The question is whether or not you can climb successfully.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 29, 2015, 12:33:02 am »

I'll do that then. Let's hope Archae's time in the wilderness has prepared him for this kind of stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40