Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40

Author Topic: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 55)  (Read 89314 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 16)
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2015, 08:16:56 pm »

Roll 16.5

The Robed man must not be able to last much longer. That will certainly help.

Make another reach for the pike, this time trying to simply keep it unusable.

(6)(2) The pikeman has moved his weapon out of reach, inexplicably waiving it in the air to the side away from Wilhelm.
The other pikeman continues fighting with Wilhelm.

The dagger finishes draining the robe guy, causing him to dissolve into a red dust from underneath his clothes, dropping all his items (including a couple of spell tomes). The dust flows into the dagger
You look down at the bone-carved weapon in your hand, and find it rather familiar for a copy, especially since you only saw it in passing. It has a multitude of details and ornamentations that are unlikely to be present if this were a copy... it might be the same thing, although it would be best if you checked.

The spell tomes you recovered are:
Silent Wind of Night: Dispells all nearby items and detatched effects, regardless of origin. Shapeshifts, summons, and polymorphs are unaffected.
Phantom Lake Essence: Dark tendrils emerge from the book, ensnaring enemies that fail to dodge.
Unending Phantasmagoria: Dissolves a dead body to create a reanimated ghost in place of this tome. The ghost can use Shadow Blink and drops a black spell tome upon death.
+2 empty black spell tomes

The Maceman's arm was damaged (3) and broken (cannot use weapon) (enemy missing)

You have a bloodied ceremonial dagger (Attack power: 3) (attaches to target and Drains it, suppressing it) (remembering a memory teleports this weapon to your hand)

You have a black empty tome (black tomes must be written in red ink, and gain +2 positive dice if inscribed with an illusionary spell)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories (lucid)
You have about thirty Hours

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

A mere scratch, I've survived worse. Still, those pikes are only an advantage at range.

Toss the axe towards him to distract him. Then quickly get up close and uppercut with my good  arm

(6)(1) The pikeman dodges the hastily-thrown weapon. [3][6] You are able to follow up quickly and the opponent is unable to dodge your next blow.

[6]/[6][5] You critically strike the pikeman with your fist, feeling his jaw cracking beneath your fingertips. He collapses onto the grass bleeding from his mouth.
Strangely, the other pikeman falls in the same way. You get the feeling that they are mirror images of each other. Seems like an awful waste of time, creating two bodies that die from one. As expected, the pikeman melts into the ground, leaving half a book. The other pikeman also melts and drops the other half.

Maceman seems to be missing, although you find his weapon abandoned against a building. The building itself seemed to be an old forge, with a lone hammer on a rack and an anvil visible through the window.

You can pick up a stack of spell tome pages and a black spell tome cover. You can also pick up an iron mace with Attack power: 1 and if an attack hits, it will always deal damage up to at least (2).

Your left arm is bruised (1)

You had a steel axe (Attack power: 1) (Deals 1 piercing damage if the attack connects)
You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have 13 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

((Caellath didn't post))

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

What? Archae thinks.

Archae attempts to grab the cat out of the air, and looks over it and tries to discern if it has any enchantments or otherwise magical properties.

((Caellath didn't post. I'll finish the roll separately))

You remember a red, blue, and a green spell-slime (weak)

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have about seventy-five Hours

I watch the noble and wait for him to leave... if he's really going to.
 once he's left my line of sight, I begin going to the nearest exit. If I reach it uneventfully, then i'll be off to go to the cathedral again.

[5][1] There are no direct exits on this floor, obviously, but you do make your way to a balcony without being spotted (you do not actually step out onto the balcony).

[5][6] The cathedral is inside the walls, while the university is just on the edge. However, your balcony could provide a convenient point to cross the walls through flight.

Peeking through the crack (in a way that you cannot be detected) you spot a round hole in the first layer of the walls, just wide enough for yourself to squeeze through. This balcony faces outward parallel to the wall, but away from the gate, so if you do this you will be in sight of some of the burgher structures and side-streets but not the main travelways.

It is the 3rd hour after noon, and the Twin Suns are obscured by a cloudy blanket. (Next hour: Turn 22)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:40:26 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 16.5)
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2015, 11:05:45 pm »

Phantom Lake Essence? Unending Phantasmagoria? Who comes up with this stuff?! Ignoring the fanciful names, Zikal picks up the tomes and examines them. He remembers back to his schooling at the Vin Ecclesiastical Academy. One of his teacher was often rattling on about the evils of illusionary magic, stressing how it "corrupts everything it touches and sows mistrust in all." Looking at the dark tome he currently holds, he wonders just how accurate her words were. Distrust is sown and watered well enough by non-adepts. How much can 'black magic' really add?
He breifly considers offering the tomes to Wilhelm before deciding against it. Judging by his demeanor, he would  likely refuse them anyway.

Pick up the spell tomes and revert the memory dagger back into a memory. Go back to the unlocked chest and pick up the real dagger and valuables.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2015, 12:55:20 am »

I walk out on to the balcony and stretch, my wings flaring and my tail whipping itself about. I then lean forward on to the balcony and look around for a little while, listening to the sounds of the city.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2015, 08:46:45 am »

Run to the paralyzed man and attempt to flush the poison out of his system.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2015, 10:20:39 am »

((Sorry, I got a bit caught up in stuff these last couple of days and been unable to post properly in the games I'm in.))

Well, that certainly seemed like it would be his next big adventure. "What do ya have there? Is it food?" he asks the man who was also invited by the noblewoman, picking up Klein and pointing at the pocket the cat seems to be trying to reach.

Regardless of dialogue, get Klein go check on the man I had seen on the ground of one alley.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2015, 06:43:57 pm »

Archae apparently doesn't reply, save for a shaking of the head as he struggles to keep the cat from his pocket.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2015, 02:41:40 am »

((Sorry, I got a bit caught up in stuff these last couple of days and been unable to post properly in the games I'm in.))

Well, that certainly seemed like it would be his next big adventure. "What do ya have there? Is it food?" he asks the man who was also invited by the noblewoman, picking up Klein and pointing at the pocket the cat seems to be trying to reach.

Regardless of dialogue, get Klein go check on the man I had seen on the ground of one alley.

(Oh I understand, hence the delayed roll. I wish you luck IRL))

You receive no verbal response from the young man, and only a shake of the head. You gather the feline and part ways (perhaps only for now), making your way back to the situation you saw before, in the marketplace.

The person who was knocked down appeared to be an elderly man injured by some passerby [3]/[3][5] who, according to bystanders, was knocked down by a man in torn black and white clothing, rushing through and shoving people out of the way. The man is fine, although it took him a while to regain his composure due to chronic dizziness. A few others also have dirt on their clothing, including a beggar wearing two coats, a noblewoman in an otherwise snow-white greatcoat, and a burgher with a black sheath on his belt.

The whole marketplace is before you, with all the sounds, chatter, and sights that would be expected. Musicians play in the center, drowning out any whispers you might hear. The nearby fruit stands to the left are surrounded by burghers looking to strike deals with the oft-inept peasants running the stalls. To the right are the fabrics and clothing stalls, browsed by nobles and well-off citizens. Off to the side of the fabrics section is a charity run by the Church, wherein donated clothing is handed out to peasants and beggars who could not afford the luxuries of city life.

[6][3] You notice a black and white suit with a large tear in the leg among the discarded clothes.

As for persons of interest, there are two groups with astrologers in them: a pair of nobles speaking to an astrologer with ruby-red hair beneath the hat, and a trio of astrologers each talking to each other and exchanging banter. Both are at the far side of the marketplace, where handmade crafts and goods of all sorts are put up for auction.

Run to the paralyzed man and attempt to flush the poison out of his system.

[6][1] You rush over to help and examine the wound. Three large holes from the giant ray's tailspikes, likely the places with the greatest concentration of poison. You know how to fix limbs and bones since you know the workings of the body and the form of its structures, but in this case the task is too complex and will require some deeper thought. You ought to think of indirect ways to do it, such as procuring an herb that keeps the user awake, or perhaps designing a simple animal that can suck the poison from the wound. An imitation of a natural creature would do, or perhaps a minimal slime-body to carry the effect. You recall a faint memory of a traveler you've encountered before, who carried with him three bouncing slimes of different colors. He told you there was an arcane effect implanted in each, although you do not recall if he told you what each slime did.

(If you successfully perform the next action, you will succeed in cleansing the poison)
((For future reference: There is no generic 'healing' spell that cures all ailments. You can, however, provide a specific effect such as "target is immune to poison" or "target cannot fall unconscious". This can backfire of course, depending on the roll, so you can for example turn him into an insomniac. It's more fun that way!

It would have taken multiple turns anyway due to the 7, so I'm not punishing you for anything.))

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:56:14 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2015, 03:07:15 am »

Using organic plant matter nearby (preferably weeds that nobody cares about), form a green slime with a large sucking apparatus which deposits into a chamber inside it's belly, and make it suck out the poison.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2015, 10:41:52 am »

collect the tome pages and cover, hand these to my buddy. Collect both the axeman's axe and the maceman's mace. Then head over to the smithy and look through the window to get a better idea of what's inside.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2015, 12:04:37 pm »

"Klein, can ya recognize one of 'em?" he inquires his cat, most likely to no avail, as he scritches behind the feline's ears. He still liked asking the furball a few questions now and then anyway, and since the black cat has swallowed something magic it's worth checking whether he's smarter ow. At least awfully propense to attacking pockets he seems to be.

Look around the large concentrations of people and see if I can recognize the man's face amidst them.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2015, 10:36:31 pm »

((Apologies for the lack of an update the past few days, I didn't get a chance to do a writeup.))

Roll 18

Phantom Lake Essence? Unending Phantasmagoria? Who comes up with this stuff?! Ignoring the fanciful names, Zikal picks up the tomes and examines them. He remembers back to his schooling at the Vin Ecclesiastical Academy. One of his teacher was often rattling on about the evils of illusionary magic, stressing how it "corrupts everything it touches and sows mistrust in all." Looking at the dark tome he currently holds, he wonders just how accurate her words were. Distrust is sown and watered well enough by non-adepts. How much can 'black magic' really add?
He breifly considers offering the tomes to Wilhelm before deciding against it. Judging by his demeanor, he would  likely refuse them anyway.

Pick up the spell tomes and revert the memory dagger back into a memory. Go back to the unlocked chest and pick up the real dagger and valuables.

You go back to the chest where you first discovered the dagger, and notice that the dagger has gone missing. In fact, the memory-dagger itself is remarkably detailed, something which you doubt you could have conjured with only a passing glance at the dagger while it was in the chest. Perhaps, then, there is more than meets the eye to this weapon...

[4][1] You then take the valuables for yourself, and Wilhelm hands you a stack of blank papers along with a black outer spell tome cover. Suddenly, your bag finds itself almost full. The spell tomes themselves are light and about hand-sized, but together along with the valuables they really add up.

You have a stack of spell tome pages and a black cover

You have a bloodied ceremonial dagger (Attack power: 3) (attaches to target and Drains it, suppressing it) (remembering a memory teleports this weapon to your hand)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories (lucid)
You have about thirty Hours
You have a royal goblet, a golden watch, and some jewelry

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

collect the tome pages and cover, hand these to my buddy. Collect both the axeman's axe and the maceman's mace. Then head over to the smithy and look through the window to get a better idea of what's inside.

[2][5] The smithy actually appears to have had some use in the past weeks, with fresh charcoal piled up in a hopper to one side, and several bars of gray metal stacked on a table on the other side. Near the back of the establishment, you see another table with several bent pieces of metal, wires, and chains, along with a schematic sketched out on ink among several crumpled schematics.
The schematic is a drawing of a metal box with some sort of arrow placed next to it for reference.

Maceman is gone, and there is no other activity among these ruins. The hatch to the robe guy's hideout remains open. There are also faeries coming after the smell of blood on your weapons and clothes, but they don't do much.

Your left arm is bruised (1)

You have a steel axe (Attack power: 1) (Deals piercing damage if the attack connects but fails to pierce)
You have an iron mace (Attack power: 2) (If the target has less than 2 damage, deals piercing damage)

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have 13 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

"Klein, can ya recognize one of 'em?" he inquires his cat, most likely to no avail, as he scritches behind the feline's ears. He still liked asking the furball a few questions now and then anyway, and since the black cat has swallowed something magic it's worth checking whether he's smarter ow. At least awfully propense to attacking pockets he seems to be.

Look around the large concentrations of people and see if I can recognize the man's face amidst them.

Klein only seems intent on going back the way you came. He must be really fond of that silent young man, or at least whatever's in his pocket.

[4][6] You look around, paying equal attention to the merchandise and food sections, in case the astrologer plans to buy supplies and leave the city--although with many people on the far side facing away from you, it's not a comprehensive search.
Fortunately, it's not hard to forget the face of a murderer. You see a face that appears familiar at a merchandise stand, bartering for some bandages from a toga-wearing desert wanderer. Looking closer, you verify that it is indeed his face, and should be able to get close without drawing suspicion.

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

Using organic plant matter nearby (preferably weeds that nobody cares about), form a green slime with a large sucking apparatus which deposits into a chamber inside it's belly, and make it suck out the poison.

[5][5] The roads are dry and few weeds grow underneath the endless foot traffic. Still, you notice a large pyreblossom tree up ahead in the center of the next intersection with a healthy covering of mosses and lichens on its trunk. There's enough to do what you intended, creating a small fist-sized slime under your total control.
The slime, having no brain of its own, requires your own thoughts to control it. You place it on the bleeding man's chest then have it remove the poison, sucking into a tiny chamber.

The victim shows immediate signs of recovery, and soon a doctor arrives offering to apply some herbal remedy to ease the pain, as well as bandages.

You have a green poison slime with Paralysis

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have about seventy-five Hours

I walk out on to the balcony and stretch, my wings flaring and my tail whipping itself about. I then lean forward on to the balcony and look around for a little while, listening to the sounds of the city.

Despite the bad angle, you notice quite the dust cloud coming from a ward near the city's west gate. You cannot see the source due to the university itself blocking the view.

Aside from the dust cloud, the city teems with mundane excitement. Horse-carts carry along goods to be sold for a fortune at the auction-houses. Royal guardsmen, in their monotonous and draining patrol duties, still revelled in the fact that they were in the grand capital city, the seat of the Kaiserin. It seems that this city has merit because Kaiser Bismarck chose it, not the other way around. It's a modest mountain city, located in a prime defensive position in the heart of the empire.

As you watch the scenery, the northern cathedral of Tyron rings its bells. Every five minutes, the next one in line shall ring its own, the one in the east, then south, then finally west. At that time, the four cathedrals will all ring four times in unison, along with the grand one in the palace ward. This signifies the start of the fourth hour.

The sound of bells ringing tends to attract the predatory aerial life that typically makes its home in the mountains. Mistaking the low ringing noises for the sound of a herd in the distance, massive raptors called Rocs occasionally make their way toward the city. The archers over the wall will scare them off normally, but it is well-known among seasoned travellers to always carry an hourglass and flip it each hour. If the next hour is soon to pass, it is best to hide rather than risk an attack.
Each Roc has a wingspan of several yards, and weighs as much as two grown men. They fly in pods of four to ten, and circle around looking for prey when they hear noises. Travelling in groups is counter-intuitive to avoid them, as they instinctively seek out herds of animals so that they can hunt in the confusion.  Fortunately, these birds are rare, but you notice a group of six up in the sky flying in a figure eight pattern.

While you turn your head across the sky, the twin suns sweep past. Char is rather painful to look at, although Ash is only typically bright during its outbursts. It does look rather bright right now, though, and is disk is glowing across its inner rim.

It is the 3rd hour after noon, and the Twin Suns are obscured by a cloudy blanket. (Next hour: Turn 22)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 18)
« Reply #191 on: April 29, 2015, 11:49:24 am »

"Klein, stay quiet. Bad cat. I have someone to catch, I'll get ya to that man so ya can sniff his pocket later."

Subtlety is not my style. Charge and tackle, I say.
>Yes?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 29, 2015, 12:20:57 pm »

I leap off the balcony and glide/fly to the nearby rooftops, then circle around to see what that dust cloud is coming from.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 30, 2015, 09:58:36 am »

grab the inked schematic, then peer down the hatch to see if I can see anything.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 30, 2015, 05:24:31 pm »

Thoughtform always finds new ways to dazzle me.

Convert the dagger back into memory, then  follow Wilhelm into the open hatch.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40