Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40

Author Topic: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 55)  (Read 89269 times)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 14)
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2015, 12:53:11 am »

A black tome, best at illusionary magic. A ceremonial dagger, not unlike ones used in cults... Zikal's eyes widened in realization. A cult indeed, obvious in hindsight, but no matter.
A grown man should strive not resolve conflicts with force, but these men clearly show ill intent. Besides, Wilhelm will vouch for me. I hope.
"I can't speak for my acquaintance, but I have no role in the Order. But I'm sure that they wouldn't mind me pulling weeds from Arinthia's garden!"

Walk up to the Robed Man and stab him with the dagger, creating the dagger at the last moment from memory.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 15)
« Reply #166 on: April 21, 2015, 08:25:24 pm »

Roll 15

A black tome, best at illusionary magic. A ceremonial dagger, not unlike ones used in cults... Zikal's eyes widened in realization. A cult indeed, obvious in hindsight, but no matter.
A grown man should strive not resolve conflicts with force, but these men clearly show ill intent. Besides, Wilhelm will vouch for me. I hope.
"I can't speak for my acquaintance, but I have no role in the Order. But I'm sure that they wouldn't mind me pulling weeds from Arinthia's garden!"

Walk up to the Robed Man and stab him with the dagger, creating the dagger at the last moment from memory.

[3][2] You approach the robed man. He takes a step back, but seems to be expecting more words. After all, you have the gait of a prince even after all these years.
You hold out your hand, as if to shake hands. [3][4] The robe guy lets his guard down, allowing you to make your move and thrust your arm toward him.
[3][6] The serrated dagger appears in your hand as you make the motion. It plunges into the robe guy's chest, the eyes on its pommel-skull lighting up red. You look up at your target to see his eyes wide open and bloodshot, sweat pouring down his head. Strangely enough, however, he doesn't say anything, nor does he scream.

You attempt to pull the dagger out, but it seems to be stuck. You decide to leave it inside your enemy's torso, but your hand is stuck to the weapon!
The two spearmen turn toward you, extending their pikes.

The Maceman's arm is damaged (3) and broken (cannot use weapon)
Your hand is stuck to the robe guy's chest!
The robe guy's torso is damaged (3) and he is in stasis. His torso is being drained (+1 damage per turn)

You have a black empty tome (black tomes must be written in red ink, and gain +2 positive dice if inscribed with an illusionary spell)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories
You have about thirty Hours

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

Willhelm shrugs, and draws another arrow.

"And so the faithful are tested. They are drawn into traps and assaulted by all manner of spawn of darkness. They will speak nothing but half truths and lies and have their minions prey on the innocent."

He looks at the hooded man.

"Only in your deepest self is the truth of what you can be. And, without a doubt, that truth is terrible to bear."

Knock another arrow. If the robed guy tries any hocus pocus shenanigans, shoot him. If attacked by one of the other guys, defend myself.

((I had you auto-knock the turn before last, although I forgot to save the changes to my local copy of the turn. It's charged, although if you had knocked it this turn you would not have been able to shoot.))

The robe guy's followers all jump to their feet, drawing their weapons immediately. The maceman remains unarmed, and stands back, while the axeman charges you screaming.

(5)(2)(6)/(4) You make him into a pin cushion, [4][5] and the arrow punches straight through his torso, leather armor notwithstanding. He drops the axe and kneels, then sinks into the ground. A black tome appears where he stood.

The two spear users both point their weapons at Zikal, whose hand seems to be stuck to the dagger he procured. It looks like quite a wicked dagger, in fact, and its hilt is glowing red.

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have 13 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

What is going on? Archae muses as he proudly watches the beggar walk off.

Archae then attempts to follow the girl on the strange mount.

[6][6] Before you start following the girl, you sense pain in your forehead once more. Instead of a blood-red sky, however, you see blackness looming over the city skyline, Char being a speckled white sphere easily seen without pain, and Ash being a swirling blue disk with a single bright pinpoint at the center. The world halts.
What captivates you, however, are the stars. As you look up, you see rivers of stars, endless bands of light, and swirling patterns and clusters all the way to oblivion. You hear the woman's voice again, ethereal yet piercing, overshadowing all the noises of the town.
Archae, you have done as I have told. Behold, what I ask you to do will decide the fate of every star in the sky, day and night.
I beseech you to visit the lake of dreams, and enter the ruined castle. There you shall find me.

The voice ceases, and the world resumes to its natural order. The soldier dashes past you, following after the manta rider. You, in turn, follow him to see the rider threatening a man on the ground. An act of banditry, perhaps?
Then the voice returns: Archae, choose wisely.
You take a moment to try and understand what that means, but suddenly you feel a hand on your back.

Noblewoman: I greet you! I am Duchess Hafyne of Hanov, and my guard informed me you were able to heal a beggar in seconds. I just wanted to inform you that the Kaiserin is looking for--
She then sees the commotion up ahead, the manta rider threatening a civilian next to a book-store and an apothecary.
Duchess Hafyne: The word... what is she doing? Guards!
A pair of guards arrive at the Duchess' sides. The Duchess herself removes her rose neckerchief.

You have recently used "snake's fangs" in a spell (+1 negative die to repeated casts)

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have about seventy-five Hours

Leonhard grunts. Strange creatures and their designs - it's amazing how he has had a fair share of bad experiences with anything that isn't cold steel and good ol' fashioned physical arms warfare, a fact only compounded on by the girl's actions. "Damn it all, girl! Explain what is so important to ya before leavin' me behind!" he groans as he dashes after her, taking a moment to make sure the person who was knocked down wasn't too hurt - not that he'd be able to help anyway.

Pick up Klein, he can't be left behind. Run after the girl and her mount, giving each alley I run past a cursory look. Give the person who was knocked down a quick visual check before resuming the chase.

Klein gets on your shoulder, but protests as you leave the inn. He does not seem to protest leaving, per se, but meows when you turn to look at the fallen person in the distance.
The fallen person looks to be wearing burgher garb, and in fact looks quite elderly. You spot a cane lying two yards away from the fallen man.

[2][6] You follow the manta rider's trail to find her standing over a paralyzed man, surrounded by various other parties who are keeping their distance from the encounter while looking on.
The man is wearing a typical black and white garb, similar to the astrologer, but he has long gray hair and carries no papers with him. It's not the target. And yet he has a red stripe of blood splattered across his chest while the elf girl threatens him with a small knife.

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

"To protect you."

I wait for him to ask his next question and attempt to stay out of his blade's reach.

to be clear, this is basically a total defense action while I TRY to make this into an actual conversation instead of some psycho attempting random-murder.

[1][2] Your words fail to convince the swordsman, but after his last strike he doesn't seem to be preparing for another. He puffs his chest and smiles.
Nobleman: Protect me? Bah! If you were the type of being that pulls the stars and dances with the suns, you would not fear a blade crafted in the light of the Dying Sun. Angels are but moths over a campfire, but they do not burn. You, however...
He points his sword at you, although in a more rhetorical fashion this time.
Nobleman: I suspect you are no angel nor demon. Judging by your appearance... I guess you are a ghost, a fragment of some drifting soul lost in the tides of worldly evil. Am I correct?

It is the 3rd hour after noon, and the Twin Suns are obscured by a cloudy blanket. (Next hour: Turn 21)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:14:10 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2015, 12:56:01 am »

"In part but not in truth."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2015, 02:13:51 am »

"In part but not in truth."

Nobleman: Then what are you waiting for? Do you have a request of me? Spirit, I am quite short on time and thanks to a certain... sprite... my companions must be worried dearly.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2015, 02:36:41 am »

"The right questions."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:44:06 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 13)
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2015, 11:48:31 am »

"Are ya insane?!" Leonhard dashes to the scene in order to protect the stranger, pissed beyond belief. "This is not the man ya look for. Did ya even bother listening to his description? These papers aren't as valuable to ya as I thought or ya'd have paid attention to me. Now, stand down and tell me what is happenin'." he says in a clearly exasperated tone of voice, a hand already prepared to draw his sword. All the crap happening during his short vacations already have him prepared to fight the elven girl in order to protect the wounded man.

Try to reason with the girl and protect the man.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2015, 06:47:03 pm »

Grab tge fallen axe and rush to Zikal's aid, attacking the spearmen.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2015, 12:12:01 am »

Of course, the daggers a memory, can't be separated from me. This could have been planned better.

Grab one of the shady bandit's pike, and try to knock the man down.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2015, 07:30:40 pm »

Walk over to the scene and try to figure out what is happening, and if possible, stop it from escalating into violence.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2015, 09:14:59 pm »

Time to explain memory mechanics just a bit.
Weak memories of objects are gained just through passing. They typically last a short time when summoned and cannot return to your list of memories.
Strong memories are more permanent and can last a while, although they are still subject to limitations such as being vulnerable to dispel effects. Detached memories, such as environemntal effects and anything you cannot physically hold in proximity, cannot be returned to memory.
Lucid memories are memories integrated into your mind through years of training or study. They create a virtual copy of the original item, when used, and cannot be dispelled.

Dispel effects, when they remove an item, will wipe out weak memories and will return (strong) non-detached memory items to the owner's inventory.

Roll 16

Of course, the daggers a memory, can't be separated from me. This could have been planned better.

Grab one of the shady bandit's pike, and try to knock the man down.

(4)(2) You grab the pike unexpectedly, then try to shake it to knock the user down. [1][2] You rally aren't sure why you tried, because there is no way you can get enough leverage with just one arm.

You notice something about the two spearmen's faces. Both wear hoods obscuring the top part of their face with a dark shadow. But each has a scar to the side of his mouth... one has a scar on the left side, and the other has a perfectly mirrored scar on the right. You targeted the left scar one.

The Maceman's arm is damaged (3) and broken (cannot use weapon)
Your hand is stuck to the robe guy's chest!
The robe guy's torso is damaged (4) and he is in stasis. His torso is being drained (+1 damage per turn)

You have a ceremonial dagger

You have a black empty tome (black tomes must be written in red ink, and gain +2 positive dice if inscribed with an illusionary spell)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories (lucid)
You have about thirty Hours

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

Grab the fallen axe and rush to Zikal's aid, attacking the spearmen.

The axe feels unnaturally light, but it definitely feels real unlike the person wielding it previously.

You charge at the spearman with the right scar, seeing Zikal attack the other. The spearman turns his head to face you, (4)(5) and uses the weight of his pike to swing himself out of the way of your axe. Then, planting his feet on the ground, he swings the pike and bashes you with the shaft!
At the same time, the other spearman swings his pike outward... in the other direction. He hits nothing.

Meanwhile, the robe guy continues doing nothing, maintaining his shocked expression from the moment before he was stabbed.

Your left arm is bruised (1) and hurt (if your action next turn requires both hands, you get an extra negative die)

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have 13 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

"Are ya insane?!" Leonhard dashes to the scene in order to protect the stranger, pissed beyond belief. "This is not the man ya look for. Did ya even bother listening to his description? These papers aren't as valuable to ya as I thought or ya'd have paid attention to me. Now, stand down and tell me what is happenin'." he says in a clearly exasperated tone of voice, a hand already prepared to draw his sword. All the crap happening during his short vacations already have him prepared to fight the elven girl in order to protect the wounded man.

Try to reason with the girl and protect the man.

The girl is rather inattentive, not bothering to turn her head while you talk. As you finish, she remarks:
Manta Rider: Not the guy? Eh, he'll pass out from the poison in a bit, but it's not typically lethal.

She twirls the knife around her finger a couple of times as she abandons the fallen man, whose diagonal wound consists of a thin line of scratches and tears in his shirt, coupled with three puncture wounds all equally spaced. You have a look at the ray itself, and sure enough its tail has three spikes on the end, presumably used to inject whatever poison its rider was referring to.
The girl kneels down to pet the ray, procuring a small chunk of meat, which the animal enthusiastically swallows.
Manta Rider: Karlo doesn't appreciate going off without a treat, so you owe me. By the way, you've got company...

The girl mounts the ray and floats off in the blink of an eye, toward the intersection from whence you came. For a moment, you saw the ray slide up vertically against the wall, a rather impressive feat of its agility.
In the center of the intersection, you see a noblewoman (in an outfit and hat reminiscent of a witch from the old childhood novels, but it also resembles a scholar's gown) with a pair of guards. The guards run after the manta rider, while the noblewoman in your direction. She walks not toward you directly, but toward a young man with a walking stick who also seems to be investigating the manta rider incident.

A woman rushes to the aid of the fallen victim, shouting gratitudes to you and embracing the injured man on the ground. She then shouts for a physician.

(the duchess speaks to you in the action below)

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

Walk over to the scene and try to figure out what is happening, and if possible, stop it from escalating into violence.

The manta rider sees the guards approaching and hops onto her mount, dashing right past you and the guards faster than you can hope to catch. The guards begin to (fruitlessly) chase the manta on foot, while the duchess herself approaches you and tips her hat just enough that you cannot see her eyes as she speaks.
Duchess Hafyne: It looks like that troublemaker is loose again... Anyway, I am told that the Kaiserin is looking for distinguished travellers and adventurers to perform a task for her. As her vassal it is my duty to inform you that you are eligible to enter the keep this fourth hour.

As she finishes, she also walks toward the soldier you saw earlier, the one who chased the manta rider out of the inn.
Duchess Hafyne: You there! I sense you are well-travelled. It is my duty to inform you that the Kaiserin seeks adventurers and travellers at this time, and you are welcome to visit her court at the fourth hour. You may tell the guards at the inner gates that you were sent by Duchess Hafyne of Hanov.

Her voice is definitely not the voice that you heard from the crystal, so the two quests are likely in conflict.
As you ponder these words, you are lept upon by a black cat originating from the shoulder of the mercenary from before. It bounces off your chest harmlessly, but it continues leaping off the ground and reaching toward your pocket--the pocket with the crystal in it.

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have about seventy-five Hours

"The right questions."

Nobleman: Are you serious!?
He seems exasperated, perhaps justifiably so given what happened earlier.
Nobleman: Well excuse me miss Faerie Godmother, I don't have time to ask the questions you need. I must locate an acquaintance.
He starts to back away, keeping his eyes trained on where your face is supposed to be.

It is the 3rd hour after noon, and the Twin Suns are obscured by a cloudy blanket. (Next hour: Turn 22)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:36:29 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2015, 12:29:06 am »

What? Archae thinks.

Archae attempts to grab the cat out of the air, and looks over it and tries to discern if it has any enchantments or otherwise magical properties.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2015, 01:54:31 am »

I watch the noble and wait for him to leave... if he's really going to.
 once he's left my line of sight, I begin going to the nearest exit. If I reach it uneventfully, then i'll be off to go to the cathedral again.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2015, 07:43:30 pm »

The Robed man must not be able to last much longer. That will certainly help.

Make another reach for the pike, this time trying to simply keep it unusable.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2015, 08:06:45 pm »

A mere scratch, I've survived worse. Still, those pikes are only an advantage at range.

Toss the axe towards him to distract him. Then quickly get up close and uppercut with my good  arm

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2015, 02:27:39 am »

((Bump for cat shenanigans. I can't auto Caellath here since its his dialogue.))
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:47:54 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40