Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167336 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #1110 on: November 19, 2016, 02:45:50 am »

If Tracer were at all in the meta people would be singing Sombra's praise right now (in terms of her being a powerful character).  Its exactly the same skill to aim Sombra's guns as it is Tracer's; just gotta keep the cursor on the enemy no matter how much both parties are dodging like madmen.  That skill has been forgotten tho because, well, Tracer's been forgotten for the most part.

The difference being that there is no range at which Tracer's guns beat Sombra's guns.  She's about like 76.  She trades reliable headshots, no rockets, and generally lower damage for actually being a tank killer somehow.  Between the self heal and the almost-exactly-tank-sized-at-mid-range spread, its hilarious to watch squishy flanker Sombra absolutely shit on Winston.  How the mighty have fallen.

The reason people use Sombra from their own lines is because her flanker tools are kind of... purposeless.  She has *two* abilities that are canceled if a D'va so much as wings you for one damage, which is just a super awkward mechanic for much the same reason Symm's turrets are awkward (and likely to get altered in her rework).  Sombra's kit gives her amazing ability to get behind enemy lines but once she gets out there her main tool to survive getting ganged up on is her teleport.  Not only is it awkward to use but it can have, at maximum, a 23 second cooldown.  Considering the highest cooldown the other flankers have is 8 seconds, and... yeah.  You can harass the enemy healer but if they're running a meta 2 tank + 2 healer setup, it ain't going to do much alone (especially compared to Genji who can straight up explode squish characters in what is effectively one attack, even after the combo nerf).  Torb's buff isn't doing Sombra any favors.  The hack is great except that against a good team its unlikely to be successfully applied except via EMP.

So you have this character that's amazing at getting behind the enemy but pretty gimmicky once she's there, competing for Genji's slot on the team.  And more broadly, the 1-3 attack/defense slots on the team.  Of course high level players aren't crazy for her.  I would say in general Sombra's gun is over the top but her kit just doesn't quite mesh into a reliable playstyle.  Having to channel her hack in sight of an enemy, combined with the fact that Rein can spin like a top to break it, seems plenty a weakness for her hack; having it be broken by damage basically means it doesn't exist at high level play.  I'd say nix hack cancel on damage (perhaps alongside a nerf to range or channeling time), and nerf her gun.  If her gun is to be fair it should be shorter range and/or lower damage in general. I'd also say the transmitter needs to be... I don't know, its awkward, something about it needs to change but I'm not sure what.  Too easy to use to escape, takes her out of the fight for too long when its used.  Its almost like Sombra is a dead ringer spy.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 19, 2016, 07:17:11 am »

-snip-
I'd actually say Sombra's in a pretty good place right now, at least at my levels of play (and I'm of the belief that not everything should be balanced around pro play, because most people aren't pros). The main issue is that people are trying to play her as a harasser rather than a.... hunter (there isn't quite a proper word for it :P ). Her role IMO is too pick off the targets that escape before being killed, stop them healing from packs, and just generally turn close escapes into kills. The rest of her play is all about being opportunistic and knowing when to engage and when not too.

Also, re meta:
Feels to me like the meta is going to change up quite a bit soon. Tanks are weaker across the board, due to the nerf of abilities that favour them and buffs to heroes like soldier. Also Sombra whose kit feels at least partially designed to heavily cancel the reliance on tanks. D.Va is probably least affected, because armour is insanely useful when rapidfire heroes are so strong, and no barrier reliance. But I can quite easily see a single tank meta evolving, at least at some levels of play. Obviously all just speculation, but I've seen a fair bit of evidence for this working in quick play at least. That said, the new patch seems to have made the game a lot more fluid, and picks are a lot more open now.

My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 19, 2016, 07:57:55 am »

Arcade is now my new home. It's like TF2's MGE except less garbage.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 19, 2016, 01:40:21 pm »

I've always been surprised that D.va wasn't in the meta. Ana is in the current meta and D.va can block her heal, something I never see mentioned or used. If I need to play a tank and the enemy team has an Ana, I pick D.va and make sure that wounded targets don't get healed and die. Maybe with her being a bit more favored now people will notice how well she can counter Ana.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 22, 2016, 02:57:22 am »

Huh. Even though queue splitting is a sin, I just tried the 1v1 mystery duel and it was an absolute blast. We went to the max possible rounds and then past that because of a Zarya roll.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 24, 2016, 11:59:50 am »

Season 2 is over.

I was disappointed to see that I only got about 600 purple credit thingies, after making it to platinum tier. Needing 3000 credits to purchase anything, I was expecting much more.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 24, 2016, 12:34:09 pm »

I've always been surprised that D.va wasn't in the meta. Ana is in the current meta and D.va can block her heal, something I never see mentioned or used. If I need to play a tank and the enemy team has an Ana, I pick D.va and make sure that wounded targets don't get healed and die. Maybe with her being a bit more favored now people will notice how well she can counter Ana.
I thought D'va was in the meta for the last month or two.  She was used like a more mobile Reinhardt on attack so you could win faster.

The only thing that really falls apart about D'va at higher level play is her ult, but even then you can zone people or wombo combo, and at the end of the day its a second healthbar like Winston's ult.  Poor Winston, he really has nothing now.  Even if you don't count the intermediate 150 D'va health, she still gets 1350 health with 800 armor from her ult, while Winston gets 1500 health with 200 armor.  The only thing that made Winston super good (aside from being able to mutually waste a Genji's time for the whole game) was hero stacking, which is gone.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: November 24, 2016, 01:40:06 pm »

Played 5 matches in offseason this morning. Every last match had a leaver before the end of the first round. Guess I'm done until season 3.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: November 24, 2016, 01:51:57 pm »

TBH I'm happy with where D.Va's ult is. I average ~1 kill with it, but frankly the real value of it (like the rest of her kit) is the versatility. You can force an organized team to scatter, you can zone them off of an objective, or you can combo with a Zarya or Mei to wipe a bunch of people. Compared to a lot of ults that are basically just "you can (probably) kill people if they're visible and in range) it's damn good. When the self-harm was in it sucked mostly because you couldn't make your own plays off of it.

Actually, that's what I've thought about D.Va in general, especially since the rework. People are always whining about how she's incredibly simple and boring, but she's easily in my favorite four characters to play (alongside Junkrat, Mei, and Roadhog) because her kit is basic in function but highly complex in application. All four of those tend to be pretty high skillcap heroes in ways other than "can you click heads consistently Y/N" which is the usual standard both in OW and elsewhere.

Like, the other night I was playing mystery sixes, and I rolled D.Va after a couple deaths, then went on a twenty kill streak and stopped the enemy team from even dreaming about touching the point. One moment that really stuck out to me was when I rushed up to get the enemy team stuck in that doorway exiting the first point (on Anubis) and popped Defense Matrix right when our Widow got on top of the arch leading to the second point; she killed three of them before they noticed what had happened and got into cover. And that was entirely unplanned, just a fortunate coincidence where I noticed Widow's positioning and she noticed what I was doing.

If it wasn't obvious I fuckin' love heroes that combine reliable combos with multi-purpose abilities and weapons that have a quirk other than "makes clicking heads extra good". That's what sold me on OW, that it wasn't entirely dominated by the boring standard FPS bullshit.

3. Run Resize Enable

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 24, 2016, 02:07:29 pm »

I've been kinda not playing much lately(I blame Civ 6) so I'm kinda out of practice.  Last night I played though, and I really like the Pharah changes.  I can fly forever and being able to do a bit more damage from glancing rockets sure is nice. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 24, 2016, 02:25:42 pm »

I don't know why people say D'va is simple.  I'm consistently good at her but I honestly couldn't tell people what the D'va playstyle is.  Aside from right clicking a lot.

Its like you have tools and you just... choose to use them based on what you need.

One thing I absolutely love about D'va is that you can intentionally "die" in the place of a teammate.  I remember one game in particular where the enemy had a lot of brutal CC, so I'd constantly be hooked/frozen/slept, but since I'm D'va I never actually died, I just kept taking it.  She's also good for tanking tires to the face or standing in front of a Rein/Winston and shooting them a million times.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: November 24, 2016, 03:10:30 pm »

Its like you have tools and you just... choose to use them based on what you need.
Thank you, this is exactly what I was trying to say. It's very non-traditional FPS and I love it.

One thing I absolutely love about D'va is that you can intentionally "die" in the place of a teammate.  I remember one game in particular where the enemy had a lot of brutal CC, so I'd constantly be hooked/frozen/slept, but since I'm D'va I never actually died, I just kept taking it.  She's also good for tanking tires to the face or standing in front of a Rein/Winston and shooting them a million times.
This as well, oh yeah. It's true that D.Va is nominally a disruption tank, but you can honestly manage just about every style of tanking with her, again depending entirely on what the situation demands and/or what you want to do.

3. Run Resize Enable

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: November 24, 2016, 06:08:11 pm »

gee symetra, how come blizzard lets you have TWO ultimates?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 24, 2016, 10:49:43 pm »

gee symetra, how come blizzard lets you have TWO ultimates?

Well, they said it's the FIRST hero in overwatch to have two ultimates. if it works out, there might be more maybe? but i really like it. lots of heroes in overwatch can use their abilities very flexible, even if they don't "officially" get the choice like ana. since the teleporter mechanic is cool, but extremely unflexible, it's only fair that symmetra gets a choice of ultimate. she currently is a very linear character in general. place turrets, shoot balls, occasionally get a kill with your beam, and when you have the teleporter, run back a bit and place it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: November 24, 2016, 11:25:46 pm »

Yh, that's honestly a needed change. The teleporter was one of the most binary things in the game.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 107