Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167193 times)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #630 on: June 23, 2016, 10:29:34 am »

This forum post by Jeff Kaplan regarding matchmaking in OW might be interesting for people:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371#post-3

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 23, 2016, 11:24:07 am »

I think Reinhardt is the most popular pub tank because he's the easiest to use with a team that's not paying attention. You can stand there on the objective and soak a ton of shots while you teammates run around like idiots seeking kills and still accomplish something. Or you can stand in front of a turret Bastion and keep him alive without needing anyone else to pay attention. And if your team is smart enough to use the shield you can do a ton of good.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 23, 2016, 12:09:10 pm »

I think Reinhardt is the most popular pub tank because he's the easiest to use with a team that's not paying attention. You can stand there on the objective and soak a ton of shots while you teammates run around like idiots seeking kills and still accomplish something. Or you can stand in front of a turret Bastion and keep him alive without needing anyone else to pay attention. And if your team is smart enough to use the shield you can do a ton of good.

dunno, whenever i play reinhardt people stand on the wrong side of my shield and get murdered, then i get flanked by a genji or junkrat and die.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 23, 2016, 02:11:45 pm »

Finally decided to buy this. Greeted by a slew of "lvl 1 leave now"s thanks to my time in the beta raising my mmr, but ah well. Still having fun with it.

Battletag added to the sheet (fair disclosure - not that great :P )

dunno, whenever i play reinhardt people stand on the wrong side of my shield and get murdered, then i get flanked by a genji or junkrat and die.
Reinhardt's usefulness is really rather map dependent as well - the easier flanking is in that area of the map, the less useful Reinhardt is. That can be countered with teamplay somewhat, I imagine. In more linear sections, Reinhardt is useful regardless just for his damage soaking on objective.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 23, 2016, 04:00:45 pm »

Heh, that's why I like the purely time-based ranks at levels low enough where people care about ranks: a lower-ranked person in a game is probably better than their playtime suggests, since their MMR is high enough to lobby them with more experienced players.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 23, 2016, 04:35:32 pm »

Finally decided to buy this. Greeted by a slew of "lvl 1 leave now"s thanks to my time in the beta raising my mmr, but ah well. Still having fun with it.

Battletag added to the sheet (fair disclosure - not that great :P )

Reinhardt's usefulness is really rather map dependent as well - the easier flanking is in that area of the map, the less useful Reinhardt is. That can be countered with teamplay somewhat, I imagine. In more linear sections, Reinhardt is useful regardless just for his damage soaking on objective.

Can't see your battletag in the sheet...

Yea I don't know. I somehow like Zarya a lot more, she's my most played Hero and I can usually be succesful even when my team is crap. I even have rank 11,091 in score/minute on Master Overwatch with her, so that's kinda decent I guess *brag* :)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 23, 2016, 05:18:05 pm »

Fixed the tag. Hadn't saved before I left.

Back on topic - haven't managed to get to grips with Zarya properly yet. Any tips for getting to competent level?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 23, 2016, 05:32:57 pm »

Ya know, I was watching the animated shorts for Overwatch while waiting for Steam to unclog today, and I wondered, why did they make Warcraft as a movie instead of just making an Overwatch prequel movie? I mean, they had the assets and voice actors and the overall plot written anyway (not to mention a whole department making a movie already at the same time as Overwatch's development), so why not work on a movie on the side? A kids Pixaresque movie release of Overwatch a week before release would have doubled as marketing and would have thrown hype levels to the point everyone's collective wallets would spontaneously explode.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 23, 2016, 05:37:03 pm »

You need to keep your gun charged.  If your gun is below 50 charge, it sucks.  You get charge by your bubbles getting shot.

You need to be able to predict when and who can use your bubbles, especially since smart players won't just shoot bubbles for fun.  It helps to identify teammates enemies can't help but shoot, such as bastions, people using ult like genji or pharah, or tanks charging in like reinheart or winston.  You can also use enemy actions, such bubbling someone roadhog hooks to save them.  Turrets can also give you free charge.

Bubbling a shielding reinheart is pointless, as his shield will get hit before your bubble.

Your ult works well in a crowded area.  Keep in mind that while enemies are pulled into it, they are still free to shoot back or deploy shields.  Generally, lob alt fire bombs into the black hole to hurt everyone in it at once instead of beaming just one.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 23, 2016, 05:55:01 pm »

Ya know, I was watching the animated shorts for Overwatch while waiting for Steam to unclog today, and I wondered, why did they make Warcraft as a movie instead of just making an Overwatch prequel movie? I mean, they had the assets and voice actors and the overall plot written anyway (not to mention a whole department making a movie already at the same time as Overwatch's development), so why not work on a movie on the side? A kids Pixaresque movie release of Overwatch a week before release would have doubled as marketing and would have thrown hype levels to the point everyone's collective wallets would spontaneously explode.

From what I know (do keep in mind that I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to Blizzard stuff) they had been planning the Warcraft movie since literal ages ago, so if they had made an Overwatch movie instead, it would have been pretty bad publicity and probably everyone who was waiting for the Warcraft one would've boycotted Overwatch completely. That said, they might already be planning for a movie, after having collected experience with the Warcraft one.

Fixed the tag. Hadn't saved before I left.

Back on topic - haven't managed to get to grips with Zarya properly yet. Any tips for getting to competent level?

First of all, pretty obvious, stick with your team. Your E ability (Projected Barrier) is completely useless when noone is around to be shielded. It also has a 2 second faster cooldown as well as an additional 200 points shield health compared to your self-shield (which only adds 200 health). You can shield allies that are in a dangerous situation (i.e. Pharah while using her ultimate, Genji dashing around between enemy lines) or use it when a huge chunk of predictable damage is coming in (for instance, when an ally is hooked by Roadhog or shortly before they are being smashed into a wall by Reinhardt). The shields even prevent stun effects, so when you cross a corner and see a McCree, hit Shift immediately as he will throw his flashbang as quickly as possible as well, unless he is very experienced. It resets and stops the freeze from Mei as well, so you and an ally of your choosing can run out of her Blizzard ultimate pretty easily.

Your beam and grenades do more damage the more your shields get hit (represented by your crosshair, 100 is max). Also, use your beam on single targets and only use your grenades on targets that are too far away or if multiple enemies are bunched together, since the beam does more dps at all energy levels. The grenades can also be useful if you can't track your enemies movement precise enough to do much damage with the beam (Tracer comes to mind...) or to fire into your graviton surge if noone else is helping you. Your beam cannot be blocked by D.VA's Defense Matrix and not reflected by Genji, but shields will stop it.

For your ultimate, try to coordinate it with your team. Wait for Hanzo or Pharah or pretty much any AoE ultimate to be ready, then try to hang around that person and wait for the right opportunity. If you are on voice chat, this is sooo much easier to do.

For an in-depth guide, this one is pretty good and has helped me a lot: http://www.furiouspaul.com/overwatch/zarya.html
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:56:43 pm by EvilTwin »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 23, 2016, 06:51:27 pm »

People have a hard time understanding Zarya because she doesn't have any obvious analogue in older FPS games.  The best description I've heard is "Zarya is a bully".  You want to trick/force people into popping your bubbles (every bubble gives 50% charge, 1% charge = +1% damage additively).  And then you want to identify situations where an enemy is weaker than you and just go in.  Much like Reinhardt, the idea is to get in primary weapon range with some poor sap and then "lock on" chasing them forever dealing constant damage.  Just cause you're a tank doesn't mean you walk any slower, characters who don't have a mobility ability off cooldown have no options except to futilely try and kill you.

Always stand at the front of your team as Zarya.  If you're in the back, you'll miss essential barriers because other allies (who actually have a reason to be in the backline) will steal the bubble by accident.  Not to mention Zarya is the best character at bodyblocking damage for her teammates.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 23, 2016, 10:29:37 pm »

Hint: Half of Zarya's health pool is actually shields, which regen automatically without a healer. If you get in trouble, shield up and hide for a second to CoD regen, then come back full force.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 24, 2016, 12:24:36 am »

Hint: Half of Zarya's health pool is actually shields, which regen automatically without a healer. If you get in trouble, shield up and hide for a second to CoD regen, then come back full force.

yep, her bubbles and shields recharge, the only way to defeat her is constant unending damage.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:33:35 am by darkrider2 »

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 24, 2016, 12:28:35 am »

her health doesn't recharge, but with a lucio theyll go before the shields.

Zarya is fantastic against symettra or torbjorn, you can easily sit at 90%+ charge the whole game just by charging off the turrets while killing them.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 24, 2016, 12:34:08 am »

her health doesn't recharge

derp, I keep calling her bubbles shields and her shields health. XD
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 107