Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167059 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #255 on: May 27, 2016, 06:46:25 pm »

I got this yesterday, and I'm getting wasted most of the time. I've had some success with D.Va and McCree once, but I usually find that people aim much better than me. Even the Hanzos I've come across. The dorf's turrets basically auto-hit and kill you in a couple of seconds. Winston doesn't really need to aim. Widowmaker is good at all ranges. Things like that tick me off. And Mei ticks me off too.

I've played as Tracer and had a small measure of success, but her blinking has an even chance of helping or hindering me sometimes (sometimes the enemy isn't disoriented, sometimes I am). Her guns run dry real fast, and won't kill most enemies up close unless you're particularly good at headshots.

Tried Genji too, but that was a disaster. It's one of the harder heroes, so no wonder.

I mostly refuse picking the "easy" heroes (like Soldier 76), mostly because having success with them won't really help me succeed with the others I wish I was good with.

I also wish there were more ways to earn credits. I want a couple of skins, but the loot boxes only occasionally provide skins. It's mostly those useless spray marks.

So anyway, I suppose I need to keep practising, but the game's frantic pace really hurts my average aiming skills. And playing against the AI is a total walk in the park, so it doesn't help.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 27, 2016, 06:55:26 pm »

I mostly refuse picking the "easy" heroes (like Soldier 76), mostly because having success with them won't really help me succeed with the others I wish I was good with.

Easy just kind of means "easy to get the jist of how to use them"... Soldier 76 might be easy to pick up but goodness is he a bit tricky to master. He also, coincidentally, feels like the earliest character they designed given he is probably the most vanilla character in the roster.

Not that there aren't easy heroes who are easy to use and easy to master.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 06:57:13 pm by Neonivek »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 27, 2016, 07:21:00 pm »

My advice is keep doing it, you'll get better at it. And honestly? Pick the easy characters. What you need is a solid standing in how the game works, so it's best to swallow your pride. And the other point is some of these characters are much better at countering others. Soldier 76 pairs really well with mercy and can do a bit of support too, useful to have if your support on the team is symettra, since you can help heal people while symetra shields them. Bastion is, when played well, very much capable of holding a point by turning into a hitscan weapon, especially if a reinhart teams with you. Reaper absolutely mows down most tanks and can get way too close to Widowmaker for her to keep her cool. It helps he can teleport behind her.

As for advice on tracer... tracer benefits most when you have some feel for a maps layout. I don't mean blinking off of cliffs, though to some extent there's that, but what I mean is... I tend to get the most out of tracer when she is working in concert to flank an opponent or being a general nuisance. That means going through the side passages and so on. What you can do from there is see if there's any stragglers or lone wolves and unload your entire clip in their back. Are they dead? If they aren't they're shooting you now and dealing quite a bit of damage, hit E, blink back to them, and repeat. If they're not a tank, they're now dead. Tracer also shuts down enemy ults. Blink in fast, toss a sticky nade, and they're dead. Works wonders on Reinhart as well.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 27, 2016, 07:26:53 pm »

Has anyone made a giant rock paper scissors chart yet for Overwatch?

I know it won't be that simple, but it could atleast tell us who is at a disadvantage in 1v1.

Because currently, I have zero clue how to combat some classes (how do I destroy the turrets without getting hit?!)
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 27, 2016, 08:23:06 pm »

1v1 is only somewhat about counters, there are some characters that are just better at 1v1.  Mei, most flankers, Pharah, anyone with stuns or slows, they'll be able to pick other characters apart.  Of course the game in't really about 1v1.  The majority of matchups aren't based on character abilities but rather on archetype; for example Reaper counters all tanks, Winston counters all supports, ect.  The remainder tend to be based on ability quirks for example anyone with a beam countering Genji.  There definitely is a rock paper scissors chart but it couldn't be drawn very readibly.

A much better way to think is about what your team needs.  A good character pick at the right time is pretty much "making your own luck".  Here's my rules for Overwatch team comp:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit:
how do I destroy the turrets without getting hit?!
From behind a shield, using junkrat's bombs, very very carefully, or you could do the usual pub way and attack it when its shooting one of your less cautious allies.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 08:25:21 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 29, 2016, 03:14:09 am »

Could I recruit you all for an experiment?

1.  Go into the shooting range.
2.  Pick a set point in space you can remember like a wall or a window or something.
3.  Pick a set distance on your mousepad.  For example, half of it, or all of it.  It doesn't matter.
4.  As slowly as you can, move the mouse horizontally the distance that you decided.  Then remember which direction your character ended up and how many spins it took to get there.
5.  Repeat step 4, going at a medium speed, and then as fast as you can.
6.  Tell me how far you ended up spinning each time relative to each other.

I want to see how Overwatch treats mouse movement.  Most applications use mouse acceleration (the faster you move your mouse, the faster the cursor travels relative to the mouse distance moved).  Competitive shooters usually provide an option for raw input, which is to say, the distance your cursor moves is always the same for a given mouse distance traveled, irregardless of the speed the mouse was moving.  So if your entire mousepad = a 360 spin for your character, your character will do that complete turn regardless of whether you move the mouse slowly or quickly.  Makes sniping *infinitely* easier.

Overwatch doesn't seem to have a straight example of either of those; what it has is odd and difficult to pin down.  Me and my brother both found that if we moved the mouse quickly, the cursor would move *less* than if we moved the mouse very slowly.  That sounds wrong, so I'm curious if you guys find that it works the same way.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2016, 03:15:40 am »

Well, that was fun. Got my first quintuple kill in this. An enemy team memeber even got a bit salty saying that the only reason we won was because my ult, heh. Managed to shut down a Genji and a soldier 76 using their ults too. Death Blossom with Reaper, and of course it was the play of the game.

I really like how you can pull off reversals in this game. The maps really feel built around it to the point that if a team cannot even get the first objective, then there's a big gulf in skill level between the two.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2016, 06:17:26 am »

I got my third legendary.  Sigrun Mercy, Young Blue Hanzo, and Blue Jester Junkrat.  That's the first one I'm really happy with.  Not a big fan of young hanzo compared to wolf hanzo, and I might even get it when I have enough points.  That or Stonehardt.

I've gotten Air Zenyatta three times now.

There's a real pl_dustbowl feel from most of the maps, especially payload maps.  The first point is usually impossible to defend, to the point that like you said, if it takes more than a minute or two to cap it then red team is fucked, while the last point is always impossible to attack.  It's mostly the spawn system.  Defense only has one spawn, so you have to run all the way to the beginning until you get to the last point, at which point the guys are so fast it takes a board-wipe and a coordinated defense to actually hold the last point.

Apparently at high level maps favor attack though, presumably because they can coordinate board-wipes and hold the point for the three or four spawn-waves it'll take to actually get past overtime.

Temple of Anubis is the posterchild for that gameflow, also King's Row, Hanamura, and Russia.  A half-decent offense will have A in less than a minute and then it's a seven or eight minute nightmare grind to the end.

Still fun.  Favorite heroes right now are Genji, Hanzo, Torbjorn, Reinhardt, Zarya, and Lucio.  Also warming up to McCree and Symmetra.  Also it turns out you can kill people with headshots from Hanzo's sonic arrow, for a little BM.
Shoes...

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2016, 07:31:51 am »

I like reinhart gameplay. You sit there on your cart,shield up, apparently zen while your allies go do stuff. You just bottle up the aggression while your ult meter goes up, throw the occasional fireball. Then they break your shield or get in your face, that's where you go mental with the charge and hammer heh. One well placed ult will really change the battle.

My only problem is competent Mcree that apparenly kill me in 1-2 sec with his stun-fan-roll-fan combo.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 29, 2016, 07:38:10 am »

I like reinhart gameplay. You sit there on your cart,shield up, apparently zen while your allies DO ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING

Fixed that for you.
Shoes...

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 29, 2016, 07:44:02 am »

I like reinhart gameplay. You sit there on your cart,shield up, apparently zen while your allies DO ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING

Fixed that for you.

That just mean more people for the hammer man.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2016, 09:09:38 am »

2.  Pick a set point in space you can remember like a wall or a window or something.
3.  Pick a set distance on your mousepad.  For example, half of it, or all of it.  It doesn't matter.
4.  As slowly as you can, move the mouse horizontally the distance that you decided.  Then remember which direction your character ended up and how many spins it took to get there.

I want to see how Overwatch treats mouse movement.  Most applications use mouse acceleration (the faster you move your mouse, the faster the cursor travels relative to the mouse distance moved).  Competitive shooters usually provide an option for raw input, which is to say, the distance your cursor moves is always the same for a given mouse distance traveled, irregardless of the speed the mouse was moving.  So if your entire mousepad = a 360 spin for your character, your character will do that complete turn regardless of whether you move the mouse slowly or quickly.  Makes sniping *infinitely* easier.

Overwatch doesn't seem to have a straight example of either of those; what it has is odd and difficult to pin down.  Me and my brother both found that if we moved the mouse quickly, the cursor would move *less* than if we moved the mouse very slowly.  That sounds wrong, so I'm curious if you guys find that it works the same way.

Slowly: 2.5 turns
Quickly: 0.5 turns

So weird.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2016, 10:50:38 am »

I've got mouse acceleration turned off in windows, and it seems to work for me.  Fast vs slow goes the same distance in overwatch.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2016, 03:37:20 pm »

Just turned it off for me (its a check box in control panel called something stupid like "increased pointer precision") and can confirm, it makes Overwatch behave how you'd expect.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 29, 2016, 05:48:58 pm »

To be fair, that windows setting is nice for moving a pointer around on a rectangular interface, it's just very bad for an FPS. It's a surprising mistake for Blizzard to make.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 107