Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167016 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2016, 06:34:31 pm »

That was hilarious, but:
A. Mei is not "bloated".
B.  There's no way McCree is weaker than Mei.  Granted this video was made a while ago so things may have changed, but still... the dude hard counters like half the characters in the game.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2016, 06:38:40 pm »

I keep hearing so much hate on Mei, but nothing drives me more insane than Widowmaker.  One shot kills from across the map makes me mad. 

At least Mei has to get up in my face first.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:40:46 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2016, 06:49:21 pm »

As anyone who's played league of leg---- well, any MOBA... any game will tell you, Crowd Control is O.P. If you get flashbanged you're already dead. The only counter is to just stay the hell out of range... making a single mccree on the team capable of forcing almost everyone to avoid the side lanes like grim death if they don't feel like getting wombo-combo'd.

And for that reason mccree sits right up there with genji on my most hated champions... "heroes" list.

Although Mei can shit on both of those champs when played well.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 25, 2016, 11:40:37 pm »

I remember getting a "shut down" kill on McCree in the beta.
Spotted him running along on the outskirts of the fight and gave chase- can't remember who I was playing as, might have been Pharah, Winston or 76. Followed him into a building (which had another exit facing the objective and most/all of my teammates) just in time to see a tumbleweed blow past and a filter affect the screen.

Had an OH SHIT moment, but then to my surprise managed to kill him with a heap of criticals right before he would have killed us all.
That was the play of the match, haha.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2016, 12:01:12 pm »

I do find it funny that Overwatch is a game about Super Heroes (Well "Super heroes" as only... three maybe four have super powers) that don't actually do any heroics.

It is basically them having petty squabbles that they solve through VR battles.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2016, 12:09:05 pm »

Wait, it's vr battles? How are they all on good enough terms to virtually murder each other rather than literally murder each other? How can you have six different roadhogs all fighting together?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2016, 12:59:04 pm »

I don't think the gameplay is canon, or even makes sense in canon.  You're allowed to switch heroes to whoever you want because its more fun than the alternative.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2016, 01:04:55 pm »

The plot is a plot for a singleplayer and/or co-op fps with a campaign. They made the competitive multiplayer mode for that game, and kept the plot, which makes no sense in the context of the game.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2016, 02:56:24 pm »

I think they want to have the story progress separate from the gameplay, like a more serious TF2.  The RED vs BLU conflict has, in the storyline, been canonically over for RL years (they introduced the leaders of the factions as characters and then killed both of them off in a comic).

PSA about the gameplay: you can't have an entire team of flankers, and you can't have the entire team take a side path.  Most of the side paths in the game are either heavily choke pointed or vulnerable to be surounded.  The main paths on the other hand tend to be wide open and not favor defenders too heavily.  The whole point of the side paths is that its useful if the enemy is distracted by your teammates going down the main path.  If you try to send 3+ heroes down a side path you're going to have a bad time.  More to the point, playing tank or healer for an all flanker team is miserable.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 26, 2016, 04:26:07 pm »

Yes. Very yes.

Also, I think I graduated from being not completely terrible, though I still consider myself quite bad at this with moments of somehow solid play. Called it quits today after somehow getting play of the game as Genji. Took a while to get a handle on how to cause damage with him. I'm absolutely terrible if I need to play a tank or sniper though, but sometimes feels like there's little choice in the matter when no one else wants to.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 26, 2016, 05:18:21 pm »

Yes. Very yes.

Also, I think I graduated from being not completely terrible, though I still consider myself quite bad at this with moments of somehow solid play. Called it quits today after somehow getting play of the game as Genji. Took a while to get a handle on how to cause damage with him. I'm absolutely terrible if I need to play a tank or sniper though, but sometimes feels like there's little choice in the matter when no one else wants to.

The rule of thumb in MOBAs is unless you read guides and watch professional videos. You stink :P (And I have NO idea if I am joking or not)

Honestly your likely not too bad.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 26, 2016, 05:25:48 pm »

Well, to be fair I think I did worse when I first got invited to play MW2 with a friend. Not dying as fast in this is a blessing. Unless playing tracer or genji. Then you die lots and die fast.

But yeah, this doesn't feel very moba-y
Yeah, it has a large roster of characters, but everyone has all abilities and we don't play the same darned map over and over. It's like a TF2 offshoot informed by MOBAs.

I also think there's a lot of space for inadvisable tactics. Lost a game since we got shut down on defence by 4 trolbjorns. No one knew how to deal with a composition like that, but the game still seems young enough that people might figure it out someday.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 26, 2016, 05:34:20 pm »

Snipers?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 26, 2016, 05:42:45 pm »

It would work prolly, but the issue then becomes that convincing your team to do it can be an uphill battle. Doesn't matter so much if I figure it out if everyone needs to figure it or trust me on that call. Guessing it won't work as bad on higher level players.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 26, 2016, 05:43:45 pm »

Junkrat wrecks turret based heroes with his concussion mine at close range, Widowmaker wrecks them at long range.  Genji and Zarya can both turn turrets from a strength into a weakness (especially the dwarf's turrets which can't stop firing); bonus points for Zarya being able to attack turrets from outside LoS.

A lot of what makes Bastion and the dwarf so good on defense is that people aren't determined enough about suppressing Reinhardt's shield.  If you just keep firing he *has* to drop it eventually.

The rule of thumb in MOBAs is unless you read guides and watch professional videos. You stink :P (And I have NO idea if I am joking or not)
I'll help you: you're joking.  Overwatch is about where TF2 is in terms of learnability.  Its pick up and play with a high skill ceiling.  Only difference is that Overwatch has more classes, which individually have less to learn.  On the other hand Overwatch is far more oriented towards competitive play (compare TF2 where yes there's a high skill ceiling but you have to remove 80% of the game's content to play competitively).
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 107