Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167029 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #240 on: May 26, 2016, 06:01:00 pm »

Junkrat wrecks turret based heroes with his concussion mine at close range, Widowmaker wrecks them at long range.  Genji and Zarya can both turn turrets from a strength into a weakness (especially the dwarf's turrets which can't stop firing); bonus points for Zarya being able to attack turrets from outside LoS.

A lot of what makes Bastion and the dwarf so good on defense is that people aren't determined enough about suppressing Reinhardt's shield.  If you just keep firing he *has* to drop it eventually.

The rule of thumb in MOBAs is unless you read guides and watch professional videos. You stink :P (And I have NO idea if I am joking or not)
I'll help you: you're joking.  Overwatch is about where TF2 is in terms of learnability.  Its pick up and play with a high skill ceiling.  Only difference is that Overwatch has more classes, which individually have less to learn.  On the other hand Overwatch is far more oriented towards competitive play (compare TF2 where yes there's a high skill ceiling but you have to remove 80% of the game's content to play competitively).
...It's hilarious that people think it's a moba. I always hated that term, anyway.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 26, 2016, 06:29:52 pm »

It's not a freakin moba.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 26, 2016, 06:31:19 pm »

Junkrat wrecks turret based heroes with his concussion mine at close range, Widowmaker wrecks them at long range.  Genji and Zarya can both turn turrets from a strength into a weakness (especially the dwarf's turrets which can't stop firing); bonus points for Zarya being able to attack turrets from outside LoS.

A lot of what makes Bastion and the dwarf so good on defense is that people aren't determined enough about suppressing Reinhardt's shield.  If you just keep firing he *has* to drop it eventually.

The rule of thumb in MOBAs is unless you read guides and watch professional videos. You stink :P (And I have NO idea if I am joking or not)
I'll help you: you're joking.  Overwatch is about where TF2 is in terms of learnability.  Its pick up and play with a high skill ceiling.  Only difference is that Overwatch has more classes, which individually have less to learn.  On the other hand Overwatch is far more oriented towards competitive play (compare TF2 where yes there's a high skill ceiling but you have to remove 80% of the game's content to play competitively).

It's not that he's joking, it's that Neonivek lives in a different universe where things don't work the way they do here, so all of his posts come through to our universe not making any sense.

Bastion's problem is that he scales with the enemy team.  You might know how to deal with him, but if the other five people on your team don't he's gonna roll all over you and there's not much you can do about it aside from becoming a dedicated anti-bastion.  Which can work. 

The other problem is that all of his "counters" don't actually counter him.  Genji can use E.  Neat.  Bastion can just not shoot for two seconds, then kill him instantly.  That's not a counter.  Bastion has a bunch of soft counters with correct play, but the only two real "hard" counters for him are Reinhardt with concentrated fire behind him, or an offense going deep and catching him while he's walking back from spawn.

He kills all the counters listed handily if they misplay even slightly.  All the offense counters die instantly if they can't kill him before he knows what's happening.  Pharah can get him but she has to expose herself for it.  Again, only if you catch him by surprise and kill him immediately.

Bastion isn't good by any stretch of the word.  But he's fucking infuriating to play against and even when I'm making him useless I hate him.

It's multiplayer.  It's online.  It's a battle.  It's an arena.  By that logic though quake is a moba.  Tell quake fans it's a moba, that should be funny.
Shoes...

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 26, 2016, 06:42:08 pm »

I also think there's a lot of space for inadvisable tactics. Lost a game since we got shut down on defence by 4 trolbjorns. No one knew how to deal with a composition like that, but the game still seems young enough that people might figure it out someday.
That... may have been me. Although that team was actually 6 Torbjorns that I and five other pubs did for giggles, and somehow won with.

We then tried offence with 6 Tracers and failed hilariously. It was a great time though.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 26, 2016, 06:48:25 pm »

I also think there's a lot of space for inadvisable tactics. Lost a game since we got shut down on defence by 4 trolbjorns. No one knew how to deal with a composition like that, but the game still seems young enough that people might figure it out someday.
That... may have been me. Although that team was actually 6 Torbjorns that I and five other pubs did for giggles, and somehow won with.

We then tried offence with 6 Tracers and failed hilariously. It was a great time though.
...I might have seen you in a video. There's this guy on Youtube who's recently been doing Overwatch, and now and again they do matches of 6 of one character with their friends, or occasionally they only have 5 in their group and the random joins in.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 26, 2016, 07:05:49 pm »

...I might have seen you in a video. There's this guy on Youtube who's recently been doing Overwatch, and now and again they do matches of 6 of one character with their friends, or occasionally they only have 5 in their group and the random joins in.
Really? Link please, even if I'm not in it that sounds absolutely hilarious.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 26, 2016, 07:10:34 pm »

Flik's Gaming Stuff. He does a bunch of stuff, but in regards to Overwatch he's done highlights of 4 Roadhog/2 Lucio, 6 Pharahs, 6 Genji, 6 Symmetra, 6 Tracer, and 6 Mei, 6 D.VA, 6 Soldier 76, 12 Soldier 76 (the other team joined in). Looking through I saw a lack of Torbjorns but you mentioned Tracer. There's also a few more 6's- another 6 Tracer and a 6 McCree, for example- in the various longer Overwatch Beta videos.

Come to think of it I don't think you're in there, but I still think it'll be fun to watch.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 27, 2016, 12:45:26 am »

The other problem is that all of his "counters" don't actually counter him.  Genji can use E.  Neat.  Bastion can just not shoot for two seconds, then kill him instantly.  That's not a counter.  Bastion has a bunch of soft counters with correct play, but the only two real "hard" counters for him are Reinhardt with concentrated fire behind him, or an offense going deep and catching him while he's walking back from spawn.
Eh.  Winston is absolutely a hard counter to Genji, yet I've had great games as Genji with a competent Winston on the other team.  Its a 6v6 shooter, not rock paper scissors.

Its not just about the reflect.  Both Bastion and the dwarf's turrets have a weak spot on the extreme right and left of their hitbox relative to the shooter where, if you position yourself *just right* around a corner, you can hit them with direct fire weapons and they can't fire back.  Genji's mobility puts him in a prime position to exploit that weakness, as well as to harass from all sorts of awkward angles that prevent Bastion from healing and force him to be constantly changing directions.  Genji's vertical movement, dash, and the threat of reflect mean that he can bypass Bastion with ease.  Plus, even if the Genji does nothing to outplay or outflank the Bastion, his mere existence means that 20% of the time Bastion can't fire but his enemies can.  Not great for a character that can't dodge.

Bastion has some of the hardest counters in the game.  In pretty much any map except the final point of Temple of Anubis, Widowmaker shuts Bastion down so hard he might as well not play.  In any place where Widowmaker doesn't destroy Bastion, Junkrat, or to a lesser degree Zarya, will.  The only exception to all of that is when he has a Reinhardt buddy.  That's really what makes pub defense Bastion so difficult to counter, Reinhardt blocking for him.  But you can't really give the credit for that to Bastion, Reinhardt is an insanely high utility character in general.  A Junkrat and Zenyatta hiding behind Reinhardt could do the exact same thing with the benefit of being able to move and having abilities that don't just affect themselves.  As you say, Bastion isn't a very good character.  In a lot of ways I would liken him to a Level 3 Sentry from TF2; most of the community can't deal with it but the better you get the less and less you're afraid of it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 27, 2016, 01:00:04 am »

The greatest thing ever just happened. Wolfeyez and I were in a match and absolutely #rekt the opposing team. Their Lv31 player got incredibly salty, telling people they should die, cussing up a storm, and bitching about ults...because Wolfeyez was using Mercy competently. Popped 3 rez over about 2.5 minutes because of aggressive teamwork.

So salt. Much complain. Very pathetic. Wow.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 27, 2016, 01:09:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The voice lines during setup are actually great.

McCree: You weren't given those guns to toss them around like trash.
Reaper:  I don't take lessons from you.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 27, 2016, 01:14:28 am »

Widowmaker: The battlefield is no place for a child.
D.va: Who are you calling a child!?

Found a list.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:24:18 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 27, 2016, 04:26:38 am »

So when do the bay12 people play?  I know I heard something about people grouping up.  Playing this shit solo queue is Hitler.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 27, 2016, 05:57:07 am »

It's not that he's joking, it's that Neonivek lives in a different universe where things don't work the way they do here, so all of his posts come through to our universe not making any sense.

I live in a crazy universe where League of Legends and DOTA exists :P

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 27, 2016, 02:16:14 pm »

I've played both of those games as well Overwatch and there isn't much similarity at all.  Mechanically or in terms of the experience of playing.

So when do the bay12 people play?  I know I heard something about people grouping up.  Playing this shit solo queue is Hitler.
Everyone here has different time zones so I couldn't be too specific, but later in the day is good so... now is a good time to start getting on?  I'm only friends with TNX, Wofleyes and MaximumZero so I can't really speak for everyone.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 27, 2016, 03:44:28 pm »

I've played both of those games as well Overwatch and there isn't much similarity at all.  Mechanically or in terms of the experience of playing.

Hence why I was joking (but not sure if I was joking MOSTLY because I bet Overwatch will go through the same thing)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 107