Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44

Author Topic: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101  (Read 48522 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101
« Reply #615 on: May 05, 2015, 10:51:48 am »

(as I understand Forsaken's posts we'll be using the CG drive to actually do the pushing.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #616 on: May 05, 2015, 12:00:01 pm »

Logistics Update: Grounds forces have secured the landing site. The cradle is completed. Sicily is touching down.

I have broadcast a warning to all of the locals warning of seismic shock.

At 1000m Sicily will cut thrust and lower on C-D engines alone. Chell is already safely stowed in an inertia-resistant impact chamber.

-----

Millions of tons of spaceship come to a halt 1 kilometer from the ground. Sicily's uninspired geometric shape is a stark contrast to the natural vista around it. While some parts of the landscape are currently on fire due to the fusion flames keeping Sicily aloft, it is still a beautiful grassy plain with some rolling hills and scattered trees. Sicily hangs above it all, a massive prolate spheroid with smooth bronze-gray hullmetal plating and small outcrops for sensors and access bays. 72 'small' fusion flames hold the massive ship aloft, each thruster itself the size of a 30 story building. The combined thermal output of this array has set fire to much of the local grassland for miles around.

Beneath Sicily, a massive skeletal cradle has been assembled from local materials and a veritable army of automated drones are swarming around making further preparations. The cradle is designed to cushion Sicily's descent and evenly distribute the eventual forces applied to the planet's surface. Beneath the cradle is a 100m thick layer of armored concrete.

The drones are busy constructing support facilities and additional manufacturing capability.

As Sicily reaches exactly 1km from the surface, all of the fusion flames cut out and the C-D engines switch to full power, gently lowering the Sicily into the cradle.

-----

Sicily is grounded.

Now we may turn our attention to more mundane tasks of governance.

Ground units are fabricating registration stations. We will send them to the groups which have verbally surrendered or professed loyalty first.

Once our footing planetside is secure, we will move on to examining the jump vessel we have left in orbit. Don't worry, it's not going anywhere.

((More soon, wanted to get a quick update out))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #617 on: May 05, 2015, 12:20:16 pm »

God-Hull of Mankind?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 05, 2015, 03:26:03 pm »

But it takes forever....  ::) I guess it's fine as long as we can salvage the jump drive off the FWA ship, mod it into Hull101, and then go on a joyride while we're waiting for the planet to move. I wanna go find more dynasty tech :D Note, we should only do this after the research AI gets linked in.

((Not really forever. I mean, for a couple reasons. 1) 19 years is nothing compared to our lifespan. 2) It could easily be skipped with a short update.))

((But yeah it's up to the GM if he wants to Rule of Cool it. Pushing planets is kind of awesome.))
((I get that, too. I got it some time before the argument ended. I'm just stubborn. Especially when I'm alone in my opinion. Thanks for presenting it in the most positive light possible. You made me feel a lot better.))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #619 on: May 05, 2015, 04:08:11 pm »

((But yeah it's up to the GM if he wants to Rule of Cool it. Pushing planets is kind of awesome.))
((I get that, too. I got it some time before the argument ended. I'm just stubborn. Especially when I'm alone in my opinion. Thanks for presenting it in the most positive light possible. You made me feel a lot better.))
* GUNINANRUNIN self-casts Empathy (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ ”

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 21, 2015, 12:31:58 pm »

((Bump))

"Let's get to pushing some planets!"
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #621 on: May 21, 2015, 12:34:17 pm »

((Bump))

"Let's get to pushing some planets!"
(I haven't forgotten about this, don't worry. As I said before, some things are happening IRL which leave me little time to write)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 21, 2015, 12:46:01 pm »

((Just makeing sure))

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 22, 2015, 11:35:31 am »

What is Sicily's main propulsion method anyway? The fusion rockets are auxillaries, I gather, and the CD drive is for landing operations, but what do we use for solar cruising at (presumably) relatavistic speeds?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 22, 2015, 02:20:52 pm »

What is Sicily's main propulsion method anyway? The fusion rockets are auxiliaries, I gather, and the CD drive is for landing operations, but what do we use for solar cruising at (presumably) relativistic speeds?
Space Magic Special super secret technology no one fully understands. Maybe of alien origin.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #625 on: July 21, 2015, 06:51:37 pm »

What is Sicily's main propulsion method anyway? The fusion rockets are auxillaries, I gather, and the CD drive is for landing operations, but what do we use for solar cruising at (presumably) relatavistic speeds?
((Sicily's primary propulsion away from a gravity well is an efficient fusion torch rocket motor. Sicily reconfigures to open a large central aperture. It is a highly advanced drive system which uses projected energy fields to confine and direct the fusion plasma. When significantly close to a gravity well, the CD engines can be utilized but this is often used for landing or high mobility operations within an atmosphere.

And yes this means I still haven't given up on this. My job search has been fruitful and I am able to relax a bit now, which means I'm much more in the mood for writing. Expect an update soon with a big change of pace.))

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 21, 2015, 06:57:11 pm »

((I also noticed your name in the cogmind item gallery. are you going to be pulling insperarition from that?))

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #627 on: July 21, 2015, 07:03:04 pm »

((I also noticed your name in the cogmind item gallery. are you going to be pulling insperarition from that?))
((yeah actually Cogmind was one source I pulled ideas from when I started writing this. This isn't going to directly parallel cogmind's lore but some aspects are similar. This next bit I'm writing will probably surprise you though, since the inspiration for it actually comes from an unpublished story I wrote a long time ago. It will be a fairly lengthy update I think. Should be done tomorrow!))

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 22, 2015, 07:26:59 pm »

((-thinks back-

sooo...you use treads?))

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:39:27 pm by endlessblaze »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 07, 2015, 03:56:49 pm »

((bump))
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44