Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44

Author Topic: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101  (Read 48532 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101
« Reply #600 on: May 03, 2015, 01:57:53 am »

((Hey, I'm RPing you know. :p ))

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 03, 2015, 12:22:25 pm »

Wait ... I misread. We are adjusting tilt and orbit to make the planet "ideal." 19 years of massive destabiliation, 7 years of rebalance.

No, this will still have major detrimental effects on the culture of the population. It will throw the entire populace into a massive upheaval involving major migration, severe weather, economic instability, culture shock, and more. Explicitly violating Empress Chell's own stated goal of not harming the populace culturally. And, there is no way that firing that amount of energy into the atmosphere will do anything other than boil off a significant amount of that atmosphere and render the planet's living conditions significantly harsher. This plan of action should be ceased immediately as completely counter to all the Empress has pushed for to this point.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 03, 2015, 12:28:24 pm »

(Umm, yeah, Forsaken covered all of that over the course of several posts just a couple of pages ago, the planet's going to be fine and the populace will be too.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 03, 2015, 08:04:22 pm »

((no, in reality, if you fire a fusion engine powerful enough to move a planet while on it's surface, you will kill everything on the planet, boil the atmosphere into nothingness, and destroy the crust, creating a continent wide open magma pool. So, hand wave it away if you like, but it is a pointless, meaningless side project that SHOULD destroy even more than my post suggested))

((edit: also note how we went from our fifteen page discussion on communication with the population to one person suggesting making the climate ideal, Forsaken saying it would take Sicily moving the planet, one person saying do it, and Forsaken doing it within an hour. Ironically, this plan was launched in the same post that our first official contact with the population as the Avatar of the Dynasty. ))
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:12:23 pm by Ozarck »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 03, 2015, 08:18:31 pm »

Yet the GM has spoken otherwise, making complaints pointless.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 04, 2015, 12:07:10 pm »

((no, in reality, if you fire a fusion engine powerful enough to move a planet while on it's surface, you will kill everything on the planet, boil the atmosphere into nothingness, and destroy the crust, creating a continent wide open magma pool. So, hand wave it away if you like, but it is a pointless, meaningless side project that SHOULD destroy even more than my post suggested))

((So you're saying it's a good way to harvest the raw mineral resources of the planet?

In seriousness, the point of moving the planet was to make it more idea for farming conditions.  If it's to be a farming world, and space is at a premium (we have no other planets) then why not?  Time doesn't appear to be a factor right now.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #606 on: May 04, 2015, 02:00:04 pm »

((First, nobody said the planet is going to be moved via a massive fusion rocket. Rockets require reaction mass. We don't have THAT much reaction mass unless we start shooting the planet's mass out which is kind of self defeating. Sicily is using a few fusion thrusters to get down because it's convenient, that is all.

Second, the pace of the game largely depends on my schedule. If someone makes a suggestion I like while I am available to update, I usually move ahead. If I waited a few days between every posted suggestion for discussion to play out, we'd never get anything done. Sometimes there is a lag for discussion and planning because I'm not available, etc.

Anyway, today is a busy day so I don't have a lot of time. I should be able to update tonight or tomorrow.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 04, 2015, 04:29:05 pm »

Right, right. Ride the rails and so forth.  :-X This meaningless and unnecessary project took me by surprise is all. Don't know why. ::)

((So you're saying it's a good way to harvest the raw mineral resources of the planet?

In seriousness, the point of moving the planet was to make it more idea for farming conditions.  If it's to be a farming world, and space is at a premium (we have no other planets) then why not?  Time doesn't appear to be a factor right now.))
Wouldn't mind harvesting the planet for resources. :P As for why not, because it would ruin the culture and civilization of the planet, contrary to previously stated goals, as I already explained.  :'(

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 04, 2015, 04:42:41 pm »

Right, right. Ride the rails and so forth.  :-X This meaningless and unnecessary project took me by surprise is all. Don't know why. ::)
The GM said it was fine, so its fine. Its not 'rails' its just a fact that this is the game, and the GM can decide whether or not to follow the rules of real life however they want to follow them. We're not all rocket scientists, and physicists here, I think we'll be fine if we ignore some real life rules for once and heavens forbid actually have some fun.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #609 on: May 04, 2015, 05:15:22 pm »

((You're not wrong Ozarck. Putting out that much energy would ignite an Earthlike atmosphere if you were on the surface, and doing it for 19 years would kill everything. Terraforming is inefficient and time consuming anyways, getting the gas levels just right is nearly impossible unless you're a Type III civilization.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 04, 2015, 06:32:19 pm »

((You're not wrong Ozarck. Putting out that much energy would ignite an Earthlike atmosphere if you were on the surface, and doing it for 19 years would kill everything. Terraforming is inefficient and time consuming anyways, getting the gas levels just right is nearly impossible unless you're a Type III civilization.))
Thanks, G.  :)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #611 on: May 04, 2015, 06:44:24 pm »

((But yeah it's up to the GM if he wants to Rule of Cool it. Pushing planets is kind of awesome.))

Crisco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 04, 2015, 06:55:36 pm »

But it takes forever....  ::) I guess it's fine as long as we can salvage the jump drive off the FWA ship, mod it into Hull101, and then go on a joyride while we're waiting for the planet to move. I wanna go find more dynasty tech :D Note, we should only do this after the research AI gets linked in.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 04, 2015, 06:58:20 pm »

But it takes forever....  ::) I guess it's fine as long as we can salvage the jump drive off the FWA ship, mod it into Hull101, and then go on a joyride while we're waiting for the planet to move. I wanna go find more dynasty tech :D Note, we should only do this after the research AI gets linked in.

an excellent Idea.

do dis.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 05, 2015, 08:53:33 am »

an excellent Idea.

do dis.

I am okay with this.

((Also it looks like it won't be moved with traditional rocket tech anyway; remember that the Hull's reactor can put out theoretically unlimited energy, and we have at least one piece of unknown tech on board.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44