Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44

Author Topic: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101  (Read 48651 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Hull 101
« Reply #300 on: March 25, 2015, 03:04:53 pm »

AFAIK, the implication was that the dynasty somehow went insane and destroyed itself in civil war. Which explains why the planet was bombarded with dynasty weaponry and why there were no active alien oppressors.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 25, 2015, 03:38:03 pm »

>Inquire as to if cause of damage to Hull is known, and if so if it is a threat.
>Inquire if the Dynasty became an ITL8 after our shutdown
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 25, 2015, 04:03:39 pm »

((The way I see it, we just finished the tutorial.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #303 on: March 25, 2015, 04:14:17 pm »

Have EWAR and CognOS look into the possibility of taking control of the ITL-5 ships.
Begin taking better scans of the solar system and see what we can pick up.
Check if CCC still exists, but if he's offline do not bring him online.
Bring up the possibility of recovering the subsentient research assistant AI from the polar research facility to Chell. If she wishes to forge a new dynasty then such a being could be of great importance since none of the systems within Hull 101 were designed for such paths.
EWAR says that it is possible, but right now the lag time would make it... uh... "annoying" is the word she used but I think she means impractical.

The subsentient research assistant stationed at the research base was included in the briefing but I will make a note to ask about it once Chell unmutes audio.

I think we should also note that some of our hard drives are missing.
Fair points. I do not know enough about the "Hypercube" yet to discuss it in detail. As to the "Starskimmer" station, we will have to wait and see. It is a possibility... Dynasty technology, even in my own operational time, was extremely durable. The reason no other stations are operational in this system is simple, it was not an important system to the Dynasty. It has only one life-bearing world with no notable mineral deposits. I believe the primary function of this system was simply storage, and as a... uh...  breeding world. The upper echelons of the Dynasty were very interested in far flung human colonies which had been isolated for long periods of time. I am not sure why. To that end, they sometimes purposefully limited contact with some worlds to avoid what they called contamination. I do not know the intent behind such actions.

Also, "material by vacuum"? Ask this.
What? Oh I see. A translation of the keyphrase Chell used. Very well. I will ask when possible.

AFAIK, the implication was that the dynasty somehow went insane and destroyed itself in civil war. Which explains why the planet was bombarded with dynasty weaponry and why there were no active alien oppressors.
Chell has been somewhat... well... Chell has not really told us what happened.

I have collated all of your discussion and requests.

241 minutes into the ascent, Chell unmutes the audio and allows you to speak.

"Alright, I know you have questions. I'm done with what I need to do, and soon I will need to go into stasis for the journey starward so go ahead."

This catches you offguard, but you realize that Chell is right. You are not a spaceship nor equipped to maneuver in space. You could probably sustain Chell's life support functions indefinitely but you do not have supplies of food aboard and your primary drive's thrust is going to drop to miniscule levels away from the planet. You could utilize your linear accelerators as crude thrusters but even so the trip will take many months.

"Understood. We do have some questions. First, we understand that a H.E.L.L. class bombardment weapon was used. I assume that this station is the origin of that bombardment? Next, one of my subcomponents point out that there was a research subsentient stationed at the polar research base. We could retrieve it's cognition core. It may be a valuable resource. Third, another subcomponent of mine expressed the opinion that the "hypercube" is.. well I will simply play back its thoughts:"

The definition of storage here is the areal density, which isn't of much use given the fact that we're talking with a 3D object here. After all, the areal density only determines how much storage you can store on one layer, which while important, isn't that important considering that you might, for example, be able to layer on layer on top of each other. Thus, the information density significantly increases.

Anyway, theoretical storage limits are quite high. The question is thus, what is on that system.

"Finally, for now at least, another subcomponent wanted me to ask you 'material by vacuum'?"

Chell maintained composure until that last question. It isn't much, but one eye twitches slightly. Medical indicates a sudden change, extreme evasiveness or guarded emotions.

"Ah, aren't you the inquisitive one. Very well, in order:

1. Yes, that station is the origin of the bombardment that struck this world. It is in fact what I hid from when I took refuge inside of you.
2. Your subcomponent would be 100% correct if we were in fact dealing with a 3 dimensional object. What you have in the storage locker is not, in fact, a 3 dimensional object. I honestly don't know a lot about it, but the research team called it an "nth dimensional hypervolume" and one of them tried to explain it to me by saying that what we see there is just the 3 dimensional cross section of a multidimensional object. Have you noticed that it changes shape depending on the viewing angle? And yet when measured, its dimensions are always exactly the same. In any case, we never made the thing work. Its a curiosity at best for now.
3. I am impressed that you decided to translate the keyphrase. I may have oversimplified the void forge in the interests of saving time. Like many Dynasty systems, it is based on poorly understood technology adapted from another source. In essence, the device is capable of creating matter. Not converting energy into matter, simply creating it. At least that is what the device is supposed to be able to do, according to diagrams and technical writing recovered with it. In practice, the Dynasty's top scientists have only managed to make it work at a very low level. It takes a lot of energy to operate, but not nearly as much as a 1:1 energy to matter conversion would take. And so far we can... could... only output specific predetermines patterns. Patterns built into the device when it is manufactured. For example, the one in your Hull can extrude several of the uncommon and rare elements that are required for your key systems, thus enabling a full systems overhaul/repair even in the event of catastrophic damage, so long as the more common elements are available in abundance.

Oh, I skipped one. Yes, I suppose we could send down a remote to see if the research subsentient's cognition core is still intact. It seems unlikely after all this time. I didn't even know about the research base until I read your briefing.
"

"Very good Chell, I will see to the arrangements while you are in stasis. May we ask what exactly happened to the Dynasty? Why did it fall?"

"Ah... well. As I have said, many Dynasty systems are based on ruined examples of alien technology, yes? Well we found a world with promising ruins... the uncommon sort which we don't publicize, the remains of a nonhuman culture or civilization. Only this time there must have been something still active, as it triggered a full incursion into Dynasty space by, presumably, the ones who destroyed them. We were caught completely by surprise. You see until that time we had been working on the assumption that these alien races had eventually destroyed themselves or succumbed to natural disaster, or in one case simply evolved or transcended beyond the need for a body or technology of any sort. For that last one, we found an entire planet covered in intact cities. Our estimates put the population at 8-10 billion easily, probably more. No remains, no devastation, no signs of destruction. Everything had been put away or turned off prior to their... departure. Not a single dead alien to be found. Curious, no?"

Without waiting for an answer, Chell turns and lies down in the stasis pod. It begins to close and the final words from Chell before it seals are: "Wake me when we arrive at those coordinates, CognOS. I have plans, but you are the key to everything."

How cryptic. Our other questions will have to wait until Chell is revived.

>_
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:20:32 pm by forsaken1111 »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 25, 2015, 04:54:48 pm »

"ok guys! while the commander is out lets review all that's happened ok! we have plenty of times to prepare notes." 

(should we time skip or are you planning for us to be ambushed)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 25, 2015, 04:56:56 pm »

I honestly don't like Chell. Before he showed up, the story was unique and interesting. Now it just feels like a gm railroad with a Mary Sue with effectively zero choice by the players. I mean, we literally can't do anything. I feel like the pilot character could definitely have been handled better without going Sue.
+1

if we have any space-worthy sensors, use them to assess the stellar system in as much detail as possible.

*Force boot EWAR

Nullius:  Chell's vitals are erratic, and his behavior and evasiveness are concerning, he is sending us to a 'refueling station' that is likely an hell class weapon without providing a reason.  We are suffering from a severe lack of data, and he wants to use a lone hull to rebuild the Dynasty.  I think we have a problem.  We need to figure out just how much of our core memory has been corrupted or removed.
our overrides put her quite clearly in command. She is god to us, and at best we can advise. To attempt to subvert would likely end in our factory reset being thrown.

Observation: Emperor Chell has identified subprocessor Nullius as psychotic.
recommendation: update status records to recognize this fact, and act accordingly. Treat recommendations from any units labeled as psychotic with great skepticism.

recommendation: list all known Imperial relatives, living or allegedly dead, along with last known coordinates. To resurrect a Dynasty, it seems logical that one must resurrect the members of that Dynasty.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 25, 2015, 05:02:17 pm »

I honestly don't like Chell. Before he showed up, the story was unique and interesting. Now it just feels like a gm railroad with a Mary Sue with effectively zero choice by the players. I mean, we literally can't do anything. I feel like the pilot character could definitely have been handled better without going Sue.
+1

if we have any space-worthy sensors, use them to assess the stellar system in as much detail as possible.

*Force boot EWAR

Nullius:  Chell's vitals are erratic, and his behavior and evasiveness are concerning, he is sending us to a 'refueling station' that is likely an hell class weapon without providing a reason.  We are suffering from a severe lack of data, and he wants to use a lone hull to rebuild the Dynasty.  I think we have a problem.  We need to figure out just how much of our core memory has been corrupted or removed.
our overrides put her quite clearly in command. She is god to us, and at best we can advise. To attempt to subvert would likely end in our factory reset being thrown.

Observation: Emperor Chell has identified subprocessor Nullius as psychotic.
recommendation: update status records to recognize this fact, and act accordingly. Treat recommendations from any units labeled as psychotic with great skepticism.

recommendation: list all known Imperial relatives, living or allegedly dead, along with last known coordinates. To resurrect a Dynasty, it seems logical that one must resurrect the members of that Dynasty.

counter recommendation- keep in mind stress makes people say things they may not mean, and she referred to our entire collective as psychotic.

I mean really man, If I had eyes I would roll them....hey congOS that gives me an idea. lets use some excess resources if we have any to rearrange the cabin, to something our commander might find favorable, do you think she wants something cozy, or do you think she would rather have wide open space to move in?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 25, 2015, 05:06:22 pm »

Does this planet have a moon? If so, we can easily do a few gravity maneuvers to shorten the travel time.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 25, 2015, 05:07:57 pm »

events in chronological order:
Dynasty founded
Founder allegedly deceased
unknown point in time: dynasty allegedly discovers alien technology
Hull 101 online
Hull 101 stored
Dynasty allegedly awakens alien enemies of superior ability and force
Founder enters stasis within Hull 101
Orbital strike damages Hull 101
Hull 101 awakens
Hull 101 seeks repairs, engages in incidental cobat
Founder awakens
founder overrides our systems and establishes unquestionable authority (which some subprocessors insist on questioning anyway, evidencing Hull 101 processing decay, perhaps due to time and / or damage)
Objectives updated: Restore the Dynasty
Hull 101 ordered to launch into space and move to given coordinates, allegedly containing a refueling supply station with a hellfire bombardment capability.
Founder enters stasis.

In regards to label of psychotic: Context suggested the term was aimed at the particular subprocessor. However, Seek clarification as to the entity being labeled psychotic. Respond accordingly. If we ARE psychotic, it would be best to take countermeasures against our own madness, no?

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 25, 2015, 05:14:16 pm »

here let me see the log....AH HA!

Asymmetrical warfare advisor Nullius online.

Booting in full cognition mode...online.

Greetings Lord Loraseon, this process requests disclosure of current objective in order to better aid you.

Chell blinks and looks up at the new voice. "What the hell is that?"

"My apologies commander. That is a decision//advisor subprocessor. I believe it would like clarification as to the immediate goal"

"Oh... great. Stuck in space with a psychotic sub sentient dullard. Tell it we're going to rendezvous with Sicyl Station.

clearly this is a references to split personalities. it does not reference one prosses but rather the entire collective as similar to a human with split personalitys

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 25, 2015, 06:33:29 pm »

your interpretation is one of several valid interpretations, but not the only one. Note how Pilot mentioned a psycotic dullard only after being introduced specifically to said subunit. Again, your interpretation is harmed by the clear difference medically between psychosis and schitzophrenia. Additionally, if Pilot was not speaking technically, humans often use terms in various ways meaning various things - so the dogmatic assumption that this is referencing multiple personality disorder is flawed. To resolve the issue, we can easily Request from the Pilot clarification on which entity is being considered psychotic.

((no offense intended Nullius. Just having a little in character fun ;D)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 25, 2015, 06:37:24 pm »

Or we can move on. It's not an important issue.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 25, 2015, 07:00:13 pm »

don't worry bout important issues - Pilot has those in hand. Though, the battletank's mental stability certainly seems a valid and important, even plotworthy, issue.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 25, 2015, 07:20:54 pm »

"Well when she wakes up ask her. That sound fine?"

"Soooo.....what now? Hey congOS start up a game of....I was going to say solitaire but I doubt we have it....not to mention I'm terrible at it"

......"any ideas? I would rather not go into sleep mode, we have been offline long enough but just siting here is boring"

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 25, 2015, 07:26:45 pm »

Restart repairs using the transhammer
Hull integrity is important.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44