Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44

Author Topic: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101  (Read 48617 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hull 101
« Reply #285 on: March 25, 2015, 12:42:50 pm »

Ask Chell if she would be so kind as to inform us of the object in locker 723.

>Magic. Fancy that. Was that object in hazardous material locker 723 responsible of this?
Nope, it was a built in master failsafe for the founders of the Dynasty from what we've just been told. Oh well, to be honest Chell just saved us what would probably have been several in game years with all the repairs that were managed during ... whatever that was.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #286 on: March 25, 2015, 01:00:46 pm »

>Magic. Fancy that. Was that object in hazardous material locker 723 responsible of this?
Hm... checking.

No, the object is still in the locker, unchanged. I need to ask Chell about it.

also, you referenced several unknown systems being activated. besides the drive system and power systems, along with tactical weapons, what else of significance came online?
Accessing.. status display shows a number of new systems online.

The first is called a Void Forge. It is listed as offline/operational. Purpose unclear.
The second is listed under Combat/Strategic, and is called a Phase Manipulator. Listed as Online/Operational. There are no operating instructions in memory for either device.

There is also a whole subsystem drawing power and currently listed as online, but all access to it is classified and I am restricted from access. The memory address is 0x8004fe21 0xc00000e9 but that doesn't help much.

"Excuse me Commander. May I inquire as to the object stored in hazardous material locker 723? It appears to have been stowed when you came aboard."

Chell glances up at the mention of the object, "The hypercube? It's an experimental information storage device, height of Dynasty technology at the time. I'm not sure it's much use now. It would require an operational Battlemind to interface with it. Essentially it allows information storage beyond the quantum limit... um. How well versed are you in... wait you're a tank. Of course you're not. Okay, To cut a long story short the maximum information that you can store in a given volume of space is proportional to the area of its boundary. For a uniform spherical volume, that area is... well... why am I trying to educate a tank? Suffice it to say that it is a transdimensional information storage device. Potential applications are limitless, but at the time we had not been able to interface with the thing and didn't get a chance to have a Battlemind's opinion. It's not of human manufacture, we can't replicate it yet. I grabbed it when I went into hiding and, well, it seemed important at the time."

Chell trails off, looking at the wall. Lost in thought. Medical reports that its emotional state seems fragile. Biochemistry of the brain indicated wild mood swings, depression. It is a testament to Chell's will that none of this is showing on the surface. Outwardly it seems quiet, cool, collected.

Not of human manufacture? This implies the existence of nonhuman intelligence. Something theorized but unproven at the time of your construction. Chell seems to take this as common knowledge though.

Such a device, if it does what Chell claims, could conceivably allow a (if you'll excuse the term) quantum leap forward in computation and information storage. Interesting. It is unfortunate that you are not programmed for scientific pursuits.

Logistics reports that Hull 101 has passed 18km in altitude.

Tactical reports several aircraft vectoring to intercept. You dismiss the alert, by the time they reach this location Hull 101 will be well above their flight ceiling. You are more worried about the fleet in orbit.

To that end, you alter the sensors for active orbital scan. The fleet is easy to detect as they are currently burning to decelerate, which means the drives are pointed in your direction. Standard fusion torch profile which matches a later ITL-5 civilization. You also detect neutrino emissions indicative of an FTL tunneling engine on the largest ship. Likely refurbished Dynasty technology.

Unless they have some serious Dynasty era weaponry mounted, they are very little threat to you.

Orbit will be achieved in 82 minutes.

Asymmetrical warfare advisor Nullius online.

Booting in full cognition mode...online.

Greetings Lord Loraseon, this process requests disclosure of current objective in order to better aid you.

Chell blinks and looks up at the new voice. "What the hell is that?"

"My apologies commander. That is a decision//advisor subprocessor. I believe it would like clarification as to the immediate goal"

"Oh... great. Stuck in space with a psychotic subsentient dullard. Tell it we're going to rendezvous with Sicyl Station. It's a starskimmer station, normally a refueling post and of very little importance but right now it's the most advanced repository of Dynasty technology in the local system. My implants picked up its ready signal the second I woke up. You're not able to hyperwave, I realize, so you wouldn't know of its existence. You probably inferred it though, no?"

Chell is looking at the camera expectantly. You get the feeling that this is some kind of test.

>_

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 25, 2015, 01:27:11 pm »

*Force boot EWAR

Nullius:  Chell's vitals are erratic, and his behavior and evasiveness are concerning, he is sending us to a 'refueling station' that is likely an hell class weapon without providing a reason.  We are suffering from a severe lack of data, and he wants to use a lone hull to rebuild the Dynasty.  I think we have a problem.  We need to figure out just how much of our core memory has been corrupted or removed.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 25, 2015, 01:44:46 pm »

"Quantum storage eh? Loraeseon, I am guessing what your trying to say is that with the hypercube stores information on a quantum scale to overcome area limitations. I'm also guessing that this new system labeled as a void forge, is used to convert energy to matter, witch is why our power use spiked and how we were reapaired. Think you can do that for our hull. Oh and I am subprosses_02 endless blaze. Pleased to make your aqantince."
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #289 on: March 25, 2015, 02:03:06 pm »

"Quantum storage eh? Loraeseon, I am guessing what your trying to say is that with the hypercube stores information on a quantum scale to overcome area limitations. I'm also guessing that this new system labeled as a void forge, is used to convert energy to matter, witch is why our power use spiked and how we were repaired. Think you can do that for our hull. Oh and I am subprosses_02 endless blaze. Pleased to make your aqantince."
Chell has muted all audio for the time but your words come up as text on the display next to it. It squints at the readout. "Uh... alright. Nice to meet you little chip. You seem to have some problems with spellchecking. That is the essence of it, yes. The cube stores information at a density beyond the theoretical quantum limit for a given volume. The "void forge" is a very limited form of matter/energy conversion. As small and simple as could be possibly made, and restricted behind many command interlocks. Just knowing of its existence would have ensured you would be reinitialized. It is based on another nonhuman technology, though one we found many many years before you were built. It's incorporated into all large Dynasty units as a command failsafe for family members in dire straights. It requires some high level interlocks to even come online, much less activate. And no, it can't restore our armor. Hullmetal is... difficult to manufacture."

Chell is tapping away at a display. It seems to be running various scenarios against the Logistics subsystem. At the same time, its implanted systems are interfacing with another terminal and outputting incredibly complex lines of code in a working folder. You're finding it difficult to follow what it is doing. A third terminal seems to be running diagnostics and tactical scenarios against some kind of dataset describing tactical/strategic capabilities in very vague terms, extrapolated for several thousand years worth of growth and development. It seems to have an incredible ability to multitask. You yourself would have trouble handling one of these tasks, let alone three concurrently.

"By the way, CognOS, you're being relieved of duty to Hull 101. I need a subsentient in control of Sicyl Station. Don't pout, you'll still have Hull 101 under your command but your scope is being expanded. In fact that's part of what I am doing right now."

Oh...

>_
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:14:43 pm by forsaken1111 »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 25, 2015, 02:08:56 pm »

Have EWAR and CognOS look into the possibility of taking control of the ITL-5 ships.
Begin taking better scans of the solar system and see what we can pick up.
Check if CCC still exists, but if he's offline do not bring him online.
Bring up the possibility of recovering the subsentient research assistant AI from the polar research facility to Chell. If she wishes to forge a new dynasty then such a being could be of great importance since none of the systems within Hull 101 were designed for such paths.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 25, 2015, 02:17:07 pm »

I think we should also note that some of our hard drives are missing.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 25, 2015, 02:19:51 pm »

"Sooooo....congOS will be in control of the hull AND a big station weapon thing? Also I was right about the forge? Excuse me while I do a metaphorical happy dance....oh and as for the hull metal issue...we have a transhammer. So I recommend repairing the our armor plating."

-notice, the spelling difficulty of subprosses_02 endlessblaze is a known issue. All attempts at correction has failed.     

(Right now I think we should discus things with lorseon, more information is a good thing though I totally agree with finding the research AI. so while talking also ask if we can construct a remote drone to locate and if posible obtain the AI.)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 25, 2015, 02:21:28 pm »

Have EWAR and CognOS look into the possibility of taking control of the ITL-5 ships.
Begin taking better scans of the solar system and see what we can pick up.
Check if CCC still exists, but if he's offline do not bring him online.
Bring up the possibility of recovering the subsentient research assistant AI from the polar research facility to Chell. If she wishes to forge a new dynasty then such a being could be of great importance since none of the systems within Hull 101 were designed for such paths.

Good idea.

I think Chell is being economical with the truth, so to speak as regarding the station, but we will see.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 25, 2015, 02:40:43 pm »

At this point, we're pretty much along for the ride, so we might as well believe the story.  Even if it's false and we're being commandeered, this person knows all the key words to do so.

Commandeering the fleet's probably a waste of time.  It can't hurt us, it almost certainly doesn't have anything as interesting as the station does, so let's worry about it later.

Also, "material by vacuum"? Ask this.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 25, 2015, 02:42:41 pm »

I honestly don't like Chell. Before he showed up, the story was unique and interesting. Now it just feels like a gm railroad with a Mary Sue with effectively zero choice by the players. I mean, we literally can't do anything. I feel like the pilot character could definitely have been handled better without going Sue.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 25, 2015, 02:45:25 pm »

I honestly don't like Chell. Before he showed up, the story was unique and interesting. Now it just feels like a gm railroad with a Mary Sue with effectively zero choice by the players. I mean, we literally can't do anything. I feel like the pilot character could definitely have been handled better without going Sue.
... what?

You do realize that we are a mary sue right? WE'RE A FUCKING TANK THAT COULD WIPE OUT AN ENTIRELY FULLY POPULATED SYSTEM ALONE! Also i don't feel its railroady in the slightest, now we have an actual achievable, and interesting objective to aim for.

EDIT: The death tank is the best just to clarify.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:51:32 pm by adwarf »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 25, 2015, 02:52:59 pm »

... what?

You do realize that we are a mary sue right? WE'RE A FUCKING TANK THAT COULD WIPE OUT AN ENTIRELY FULLY POPULATED SYSTEM ALONE! Also i don't feel its railroady in the slightest, now we have an actual achievable, and interesting objective to aim for.

((In a way your both wrong, think about it. The dynasty no longer exsist...it's implied to have been distroyred by another spacefaring race, we are outnumbered and outmatched if we come across them ( and the plot will demand we must) therefore we are at a disadvantage, on the bright side, now we have epic systems unlocked and are therefore more prepared than any other hull system from our time))

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 25, 2015, 02:54:19 pm »

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I personally would have preferred it if we stole at least 2 more dynasty stashes before encountering the twist but I don't think this is the end of the world
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 25, 2015, 02:58:59 pm »

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I personally would have preferred it if we stole at least 2 more dynasty stashes before encountering the twist but I don't think this is the end of the world

((Hence my last action suggestion))
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44