Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: iPad/Android games with depth and replayability?  (Read 6905 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: iPad/Android games with depth and replayability?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 06:40:03 pm »

posting to watch
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 07:11:04 pm »

We have an Android topic laying around somewhere.

I got lazy and I never really updated the main post much, but this is the one I have bookmarked:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135304.msg4896496#msg4896496

Also useful http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98997.0

Avernum turn-based, party RPG, same people who made Exile 3 I believe, love them.

Avernum 1 is Exile 1.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:12:58 pm by BigD145 »

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 11:56:22 pm »

1. King of Dragon Pass
2. Tactics Ogre on PPSSPP
3. King of Dragon Pass
4. Conquest of Elysium from the makers of Dominions.  Kind of a TBS/Roguelike mashup with thousands of different units, about a dozen playable factions, and some real tactical and strategic depth.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:58:05 pm by thepodger »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 12:08:31 am »

DosBox Turbo has mouse emulation which works well with the touch screen. I'm playing through the Eye of the Beholder series with it, and probably will get into Master of Orion 1 and 2 next. Any mouse-based DOS games will work great on Android. That gives you a whole lot more to pick from.

Unfortunately Windows mouse emulation so far doesn't work properly with the touchscreen for anything I tried (it treats the screen as a mousepad, so you can't just click where you want, you need to slide a mouse pointer around), but I'm thinking that as handheld performance increases this will become something that people develop. Once there's a decent Wine port for Android or better emulation, a huge amount of mouse-based Windows games will be  playable on phones and tablets.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:13:36 am by Reelya »

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 12:53:12 am »

There's an option in Dosbox for allowing absolute rather than differential cursor tracking.
You can play Fallout 1 + 2 quite well for instance.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 01:02:06 am »

Cool, I might try those next.

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 01:09:20 am »

It's a bit complicated to set up.  There's a thread on XDA with instructions.  But absolute cursor tracking is just a box to check in settings and helps make any dos game playable.  Not sure exactly what it's called there but it sets the cursor to the exact point where you touch rather than dragging it around.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:12:51 am by thepodger »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 01:18:14 am »

Soccer Spirits and Summoners Wars are my two favorite android games...though both are online-only and somewhat grindy.

Also, I've been trying the closed beta for Dungeon Link lately and really enjoying it. Looking forward to launch.

I saw a thread around here for Siralim a while back and it looked interesting, though I've not yet gotten around to trying it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 08:20:49 am »

The online drm in Android games is getting annoying. People don't want to suck up their data plans if using cellular and if wifi you can't really play on most buses or in a car or airplane. Star Realms just switched to doing this. If I want to play against an AI or hotseat a board/card game I don't want to or can't be online. Stick to dosbox and you'll be entertained for months.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 11:37:48 am »

Years, probably. In my experience as a 15-year-old, 90s games are generally slower-paced than modern equivalents. That's not a bad thing, obviously. (Strangely, the opposite seems to be true for FPS games)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 06:03:39 pm »

The online drm in Android games is getting annoying. People don't want to suck up their data plans if using cellular and if wifi you can't really play on most buses or in a car or airplane. Star Realms just switched to doing this. If I want to play against an AI or hotseat a board/card game I don't want to or can't be online. Stick to dosbox and you'll be entertained for months.
I'll have to try that.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 04:18:41 pm »

We have an Android topic laying around somewhere.

Off the top of my head there's:
DosBox Turbo

Does that come with games preloaded or is it just the DOS emulator by itself? And if it is just the emulator, where/how do I download games and software to run with it?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 04:27:58 pm »

I would guess that a lot of games would be "abandonware" and technically not legal downloads so we aren't really allowed to talk about them on here.

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 04:34:31 pm »

A lot of the best titles are now available over on Good Old Games.  Abandonware is not as defensible as it once was because titles are on sale again through legitimate venues!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 06:29:15 pm »

so stock up now matey!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:31:04 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 [2] 3