Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: iPad/Android games with depth and replayability?  (Read 6904 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
iPad/Android games with depth and replayability?
« on: March 08, 2015, 05:55:37 am »

I don't currently have a tablet or smartphone, but I'm considering getting one in the foreseeable future. I'm leaning rather more towards Android because of the cost of Apple stuff, but the seemingly better availability of music production apps on iOS is pulling me in that direction too.

But what about good games? Sure there are huge numbers of games but they mostly seem to be aimed at the 'casual' market, while I'm looking for something with a bit more depth.

I have a history of liking strategy & 4x games, roguelikes and some other RPGs.

I generally prefer turn-based games to real time, though I have enjoyed some of the Paradox titles (EU series, HOI series etc.)

DF and some of the Paradox games aside, I'm not really a fan of "sandbox" games, I prefer it when there are some defined objectives, though multiple paths to victory are good.

I don't like grinding.

A fair amount of micromanagement is acceptable, though there are limits.

Obviously I'm not expecting the same complexity as the latest PC games, but something beyond the casual market would be good.

Also, must be single player and playable offline.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: iPad/Android games with depth and replayability?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 06:16:19 am »

Hoplite is quite good in my opinion. I have only played the free version though.

It is a turnbased roguelike, you have to fetch a thing from floor 16.
You have your spear (which can be thrown) and your shield (which can be used to knock enemies away). All enemies have 1 HP and the maps are very small. You see the complete floor all the time. As you know the abilities of the enemies, every HP you loose is your fault.
You don't level up, but there is a shrine at every floor that can give you a blessing. Healing, higher throwing range, more base HP, better shield bash. Some of the higher tier upgrades cost one base HP though...

In the paid for version you can apparently go below floor 16 as well, you have a sword, and you can get more different blessings.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 07:22:02 am »

We have an Android topic laying around somewhere.

Off the top of my head there's:
DosBox Turbo
ScummVM
King of Dragon Pass
Avernum
Liberal Crime Squad
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
Weird Worlds
Organ Trail
80 Days -an interesting around the world story teller

2in1 Windows machines are shaping up quite nicely now if you're willing to put up with Win8.1. If you're gaming you really want a tablet anyway. Why not have a tablet and keyboard dock? I hook keyboards up to my Android tablet for roguelikes that need 50 keys. I'm looking at the to be released Asus Transformer Chi line. The 10" will be about $400, which is only $100 and some more than my Android tablet. More power and more possibilities than Android. Just a thought. For dedicated deeper games in a portable format you should just look towards handheld consoles.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:37:09 am by BigD145 »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 08:00:57 am »

Pixel Dungeon is pretty great.
There's also an Android version of OpenTTD, FreeCiv, Angband and I think even of Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 11:17:19 am »

Hearthstone, King of Dragon Pass, Battle for Wesnoth and Sid Meier's Pirates are my ipad favorites.

I recently got X-Com but it crashes any time I start a game so my vote is X-Com for Ipad is a piece of shit.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 11:44:21 am »

If you're really looking for tablet gaming, it might be preferrable to go the Windows/Unix tablet route. Then the only thing limiting you from the massive PC Gaming market is hardware requirements.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 12:19:20 pm »

If you're really looking for tablet gaming, it might be preferrable to go the Windows/Unix tablet route. Then the only thing limiting you from the massive PC Gaming market is hardware requirements.

Hmm, hadn't really thought about that - I had assumed that the majority of PC games were coded with the assumption that the player has a "gaming" PC and therefore would have hardware requirements significantly beyond what you could get in a tablet.

I'll consider it though...

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 12:20:22 pm »

I was never very satisfied with the available games for Android; most of the games with depth and replayability came from emulators such as DOSBox Turbo, ePSXe, Mupen64, and various others.

King of Dragon Pass is a rare gem and fairly recent release. I'm glad they finally ported it to Android.

I also have a decent port of Knights of the Old Republic; it runs well on my phone, but I never got the chance to run it on my tablet due to them never allowing it on the ASUS TF701T.

The problem is that the vast majority of devs seem to be going the freemium or die route, copying other existing titles in a bid to make money, rather than innovative games. So, much like the AAA game market.

I travel a lot, and have an Android tablet and phone, as well as a recently obtained laptop on Windows 8, which basically caused me to ditch my tablet. That would be my recommendation, if at all possible. I was tired of fighting with devs to try and convince them that the tablet could run anything they could throw at it if my phone could.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

XavierIII

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 12:28:35 pm »

Trese Brothers does some really nice work in my opinion. They have a traditional fantasy rpg, a cyberpunk rpg, a space trading sim, and a 4x game in the same setting as the space trading one. All come with demos, with option to buy the full version either in game as an upgrade, or as a separate app.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 12:36:20 pm »

Pixel Dungeon is pretty great.

PD >IS< pretty great. There's a great community based out of reddit, an IRC, and since it's open source there're at least a few mods out there, the main one being more popular than the original game. It's called Shattered Pixel Dungeon. You can find it on the play store, or there's a desktop version, or if you go to www.openpixeldungeon.com, you can download a lobby mod that includes the original twice (a new version includes a mechanic most people hated, so the "dev" split the versions), shattered, and a few others. OPD is Android only because the dev is lazy.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 02:20:28 pm »

Nethack and Angband are on both IOS and Android.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 04:52:23 pm »

Android also has Brogue and UnNetHack. PC Brogue is free and Android Brogue is $2.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 04:59:13 pm »

We have an Android topic laying around somewhere.

I got lazy and I never really updated the main post much, but this is the one I have bookmarked:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135304.msg4896496#msg4896496
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 05:56:32 pm »

I've had an android Galaxy 2 tablet for a while, (though for the last couple years it's become my sig-other's property mostly)
and I've only got a couple games for you but keep in mind my experience/motivation has been quite limited in seeking out titles for the tablet:
Avernum turn-based, party RPG, same people who made Exile 3 I believe, love them.
Battle of Wesnoth was recommended to me but I had some issues with game slowdown that were really painful
Nethack and/or Slash'EM My sig-other plays the Nethack for android and I tried to play the SLASH'EM but couldn't stand it having been spoiled by the iPad & PC tile versions.
Conquest of Elysium 3 is reportedly on android now! I am super excited as it's one of my favorite turn-based-strategy games of all time- check out the STEAM store page/reviews for it... my review is actually in the top voted section! (not sure what name but it's fairly long and has some 55/59 helpful with 308.5 hours currently)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211900/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:58:33 pm by Chaosegg »
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 06:22:00 pm »

Hmm, hadn't really thought about that - I had assumed that the majority of PC games were coded with the assumption that the player has a "gaming" PC and therefore would have hardware requirements significantly beyond what you could get in a tablet.

I use an HP Pavilion x2 - 10-k010nr as my mobile unit (17" laptop got a bit heavy and tended to overheat readily) and was an easy buy at 150$ (and resold the Office key for 40$, driving it down further). It's a Windows 8.1 tablet with keyboard cover (included in price). I think it's original price was around 300, 6 months ago or so, so anything that's around that price point now should be superior.

It's NOT a powerhouse unit (See price), but runs older games fine... though you may run out of drive space pretty readily. Anything that isn't very intensive runs perfectly smoothly. (Alpha Centauri, X-Com: TFTD, One Way Heroics, Half Minute Hero, Spiderweb Software games, pile of roguelikes and visual novels are among the things I've personally tested on it to run fine.)

The only things that have caused it to crunch so far (well, other than it sliding off my bed and slamming into the nightstand-- lost my E key off the keyboard... -_-) have been Photoshop CS5 (CS3 is useable for light work; CS5... not so much), Guild Wars 2 (refuses to load) and an Excel file with several thousand rows that are actively computed (frustratingly slow).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:33:36 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: [1] 2 3