Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 827403 times)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5685 on: August 28, 2018, 10:00:31 am »

You now have to keep each and every plant watered in order for them to survive, and fertilizer can be put right before the plant is harvested.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/24291

However, further research shows that they are gonna pull something with zones to make it easier to farm, I think something along the lines of DF style farming.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: August 28, 2018, 11:22:11 am »

The mininuke apparently got nerfed in the name of realism, and they also removed the crafting recipe for it so you can't make them yourself.

Not only that, but CBM's are now no longer craftable. Quite a nerf for genius builds.

On shittier news, it seems acidia has gone on hiatus, if not left for good. Not too clear why that was, but it seems he suspected someone was stealing or undercutting part of his work with inventory management. Whether acidia'd legitimate reasons, or merely ragequit outright, it's very likely NPC camps won't be updated any time soon. Judge for yourselves.

On a happier note, labs have been expanded dramatically, mansion basements got an overhaul, quick butchering gives much more returns (a quarter of the max yields for meat, and half for just about everything else),  and there's also that above inventory management system on the works.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 11:26:32 am by ShinQuickMan »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: August 28, 2018, 11:34:57 am »

..seriously I feel less and less inclined to return to the game seeing these developmemts  ???
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: August 28, 2018, 11:43:37 am »

Not only that, but CBM's are now no longer craftable. Quite a nerf for genius builds.

On shittier news, it seems acidia has gone on hiatus, if not left for good. Not too clear why that was, but it seems he suspected someone was stealing or undercutting part of his work with inventory management. Whether acidia'd legitimate reasons, or merely ragequit outright, it's very likely NPC camps won't be updated any time soon. Judge for yourselves.

On a happier note, labs have been expanded dramatically, mansion basements got an overhaul, quick butchering gives much more returns (a quarter of the max yields for meat, and half for just about everything else),  and there's also that above inventory management system on the works.

Seriously? Most of the updates just tweak stuff or make some existing feature less convenient, I can't remember actually getting excited about something other than NPC camps.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: August 28, 2018, 12:47:51 pm »

I'm pretty damn leery of the farming stuff, admittedly I've already used farming more to supplement hunting, foraging, and/or scavenging. So long as farming en masse still returns SOMETHING if you neglect crops, it's not a complete fuckfest at least. However, if regular watering can get you a bit more crops than the old system, then it's a measure of tedium I can tolerate. But that would be a benefit, so I'm not going to get my hopes up too hard for that.

However, the freezing stuff has now become actually tolerable now, and there's finally a pull request in the works to make it so that you don't HAVE to hve a full butchering setup just to get some shot at all available types of materials a critter has to give.

However, there is one thing that has me excited AS FUCK. More than the NPC camp feature. It's this good shit right here. To regular players this isn't something they'd give a shit about. But someone who also mods the game, like me? This, when fully fleshed out, will allow you to tell vanilla mutations to be incompatible with mutations of the same type introduced in mods. Without needing to add a full override for the vanilla mutation just for the sake of dropping your mod mutations into the "cancels" field.

Since self copy-from doesn't work for mutations that means the above PR effectively halves the list of reasons why you'd need to fiddle with vanilla mutation. Which is good, because full overrides are bad for a modder's sanity.

Expect me to FINALLY revive the long-abandoned "dragon mutation tree" idea I had ages ago when I was just getting into modding CDDA, and work it into some endgame content for Arcana.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: August 28, 2018, 12:53:34 pm »

..seriously I feel less and less inclined to return to the game seeing these developmemts  ???

It's not just you. I haven't played in years and I haven't seen anything new in a long time that actually sounded fun. It's been universal tedium for it's own sake, or at least messing with established systems to make the game more unfavorable to the player. I can't remember reading about anything for fun being added in the last ... what, couple years?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: August 28, 2018, 01:23:26 pm »

Last time I played was sometime in 2017 with coolthulus' fork. But I think Ibhavent played CDDA in over a year. And eeeh.. you read about this stuff and feel like not bothering.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: August 28, 2018, 01:43:42 pm »

NPC's are the one thing that actually needs serious work before all else. More key presses and more tedium is just trolling the players.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: August 28, 2018, 08:13:11 pm »

Yeah, the NPC camps we're the first time I had played in like 6 months.  It's a pretty cool feature, so it's be a shame if it ends up likke the NPC shelter questline, which I don't think has seen much love in some time.

Also, are Hordes working?  I noticed it has been turned off on default for new worlds.  I seem to get random zombos, but my base is also an NPC camp a couple tiles away from a mall that I never really fully cleared.  I did do a fair bit of tree felling in the area though and I would've expected a bit more attention being ~10 tiles from the outskirts of one town and ~15 from another one. 

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: August 28, 2018, 10:39:59 pm »

Alarm, alarm. New plant growing get merged right now, expect more keypress. Much more.
I somwtimes wonder If the people who add this kind of stuff actually like doing the same mindless action 50+ times in a row. is their definition of fun watching propmpts fly through the screen? Maybe its their idea of RP?
Farming expanded but not streamlined. /sigh
We cant quite do everything at the same time, it's in progress https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/25181

Cataclysm is a survival game heavily focused on combat. Unreal world is a survival game where it is quite easy and really for the best to just avoid combat entirely. If that's what some people want, then fork the game or make a mod, because that's not what it is.
If you want an action game that doesn't care about being grounded in reality, you're the one that needs to fork or mod, feel free to do so.

The mininuke apparently got nerfed in the name of realism, and they also removed the crafting recipe for it so you can't make them yourself.
I buffed the absolute shit out of the mininuke in the name of realism, but hey, dont let reality get in the way of a good rant.

Protip, a lot of the time when people complain about features, they dont know what they're talking about, you might want to either play yourself or at least actually follow development instead of taking ranting at face value.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: August 29, 2018, 12:05:52 am »

Your advice only holds any merit when we're talking about stuff that wouldn't be resolved if PR authors invested even a bare minimum of effort in testing their changes, and if those responsible for merging. The latest one, the farming overhaul, has had multiple confirmed bugs that were not only easily revealed in a couple minutes of playtesting. Weed growth is stupid fast (starts at 12 seconds even at the "intended" scale of 91-day seasons), clean water can't be used for watering, NPC bases are broken by the change, etc.

Worse, not even playtesting helped as some of those bugs were found, reported in PR comments, and then willfully, maliciously ignored by the PR author. They freely admitted that they are both unable and unwilling to fix the fact their change fucked up NPC base farming, which simply should not be permitted.

If I broke shit in such a way, and openly told off the people giving me feedback by demanding other people fix it for me, I would've been berated for it.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Altivera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: August 29, 2018, 12:23:19 am »

Alarm, alarm. New plant growing get merged right now, expect more keypress. Much more.
I somwtimes wonder If the people who add this kind of stuff actually like doing the same mindless action 50+ times in a row. is their definition of fun watching propmpts fly through the screen? Maybe its their idea of RP?
Farming expanded but not streamlined. /sigh
We cant quite do everything at the same time, it's in progress https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/25181

Cataclysm is a survival game heavily focused on combat. Unreal world is a survival game where it is quite easy and really for the best to just avoid combat entirely. If that's what some people want, then fork the game or make a mod, because that's not what it is.
If you want an action game that doesn't care about being grounded in reality, you're the one that needs to fork or mod, feel free to do so.

I buffed the absolute shit out of the mininuke in the name of realism, but hey, dont let reality get in the way of a good rant.

Protip, a lot of the time when people complain about features, they dont know what they're talking about, you might want to either play yourself or at least actually follow development instead of taking ranting at face value.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/9ahy67/explosion_power_and_its_effects/
I was just going off this reddit post on explosion power. Didn't take into account the other effects of a mininuke though I do have to question why not being able to make mininukes and cbms anymore in vanilla.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: August 29, 2018, 12:24:48 am »

I started playing again when firearms got buffed. I can't be bothered to start a vanilla character, level him up and play the way it has to be played. I usually make an "accomplished" character with all skills close to max, spawn me some equipment and a car and just have fun in the world fucking things up and giving me random goals with self imposed time limits and conditions. It's quite fun. Anyone else playing this way?

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: August 29, 2018, 01:38:48 am »

So... mea culpa.  The farming overhaul seems to as bad as claimed, I've reverted it.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: August 29, 2018, 02:00:42 am »

So... mea culpa.  The farming overhaul seems to as bad as claimed, I've reverted it.

I'll go ahead and say it. I am genuinely grateful for that, and do hope that (if a second stab at it ever gets attempted) any further changes to farming mechanics will fare better and be more complete in implementation.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 451