Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 826315 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4260 on: December 06, 2016, 05:24:03 pm »

I've consitered making a house with a solar kitchen built into it kinda like how a lot of players without mobile bases build, but I eventually scrapped the idea.  Something like that should be possible though, with a custom house set to have a 100% chance to spawn a custom vehicle that's designed to mesh into the house in a vaguely natural looking way.

I've also considered modding in a mobile home park, which is essentially just a dirt lot with the homes being vehicles instead of actual map tiles.  But I don't know enough about modding in new types of overmap buildings to do it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: December 06, 2016, 05:26:09 pm »

Thats easy enough.

For a mobile home just start with a dirt lot.  All dirt.  Then make the 'homes'.  Then the more annoying part is placing them just right.  Then you can complete the set by making terrain adjustments like bushes or w.e.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: December 06, 2016, 05:33:53 pm »

Yea now that I think about it, I may be able to do that now.  Still need to figure out how to spawn it outside of town, and maybe make it larger than 1 map tile, but baby steps.

To the modding cave!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: December 06, 2016, 05:36:35 pm »

Just pm me about that stuff if you need help.  Ill be happy to.

Or just steal examples from mods.  thats what I did to learn.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: December 06, 2016, 07:46:30 pm »

Ohh... I like that solar base idea! :) OH.... That reminds me... Before I leave, there's a meth lab in town with a chemistry set in it. I can probably tack that onto my solar APC before I head out from this gutted-out, looted shithole of a town.

Must leave soon... I'm running low on supplies.

Should I bring my 3 NPCs along, or just leave them behind? I'm afraid I removed all the chairs beside the driver seat and one extra, in order to install all the shit I need.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: December 06, 2016, 07:50:46 pm »

Last time I made a solar base, I also did it with a fixed house rather than building off a vehicle base, so I ended up with one vehicle outside as a solar farm, with little workshops of one-two tile working areas and/or "standing lamps" all hooked together by jumper cables into one electrical network.  It may also be worth remembering those jumper cables for a fixed solar house map tile, if you can spawn them pre-wired in world-gen. 

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: December 06, 2016, 07:53:33 pm »

Why use jumper cables? You can build electrical wire to connect stuff using steel fence wire.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: December 06, 2016, 08:02:00 pm »

Oh?  When was that added?  I wasn't actually aware of the existence of electrical wire, and this base was more than a few commits ago. 

EDIT: Hmmm, this base was built at least a year ago, it looks like; it seems to predate even my last save-backup of an old commit in December 2015.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:04:58 pm by Culise »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: December 06, 2016, 08:06:39 pm »

Several months, I think. Then again, it might've changed since I last updated, I'm not sure.

You can attach it to vehicles in much the same way as steel frames, IIRC.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: December 06, 2016, 08:09:27 pm »

Use them early game for battery charging.

electric cars benefit from them because in spring theres so little sun.
PKs DF Mod!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: December 06, 2016, 08:14:32 pm »

Huh I usually don't even do that.  I usually build the solar base through a window or something, then build a windshield and curtain over where the window used to be.  All one vehicle. Outside is the solars and funnels, inside are the crafting bits.  Do gotta make sure that the 'back' of your abomination is outside with dragging after you place the first frame though.  Otherwise you get to fill your house with exhaust if you add a generator.

People who make mobile bases would probably love these mobile homes once I get the mod fully put together.  Making sure they will need significant modification to work as one though.  Wheels are in the wrong places, no engine, lacking in drivable controls, terrible line of sight...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: December 06, 2016, 08:17:33 pm »

I mostly use jumpers to jumpstart a vehicle I want from one I dont want but has power.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: December 06, 2016, 08:35:20 pm »

Wait, that actually works?

How exactly does it work? Does it charge the battery a bit, or no?
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: December 06, 2016, 08:36:12 pm »

People who make mobile bases would probably love these mobile homes once I get the mod fully put together.  Making sure they will need significant modification to work as one though.  Wheels are in the wrong places, no engine, lacking in drivable controls, terrible line of sight...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think RVs will have to be a bit rarer for your mobile home to compete.

What's everyone's preferred vehicle to use as a starting point for their custom vehicle anyways?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: December 06, 2016, 08:39:37 pm »

Wait, that actually works?

How exactly does it work? Does it charge the battery a bit, or no?
Considering that's how jumper cables work in real life, yeah. It sends a small amount of power over to the other battery, which is then used to start the engine. The receiving car's alternator takes over from this point and starts feeding surplus electricity to the battery.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 451