Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825057 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1650 on: July 13, 2015, 12:53:47 am »

I wonder if it's possible to make swamps useful. Make it possible to, with some tech investment and building, harvest quantities of marsh gas from certain (rare) parts of the swamps over time, and introduce combustion engines that run on natural gas, so that a player can have a renewable alternative to most gasoline-reliant things.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: July 13, 2015, 01:04:06 am »

Marsh gas burns on contact with oxygen, causing what mythology came to call will-o'the-wisps, foxfire, and other such things. It's very, very hard to collect, especially without ruining the ecosystem. Beyond that, the same gases could be collected from any composting organic matter, which is actually done on a few garbage dumps in real life.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: July 13, 2015, 01:06:57 am »

They already can be quite valuable in some ways, a reliable source of salt water (And thus salt) for preserving food can be quite nice (though it won't hit it's full value until we cut down animal numbers enough that at times you actually need to have preserved food).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: July 13, 2015, 01:08:38 am »

Also we're quite close to merging a biodiesel recipe.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: July 13, 2015, 01:20:30 am »

A better way to use swamps as an energy source would be digging for peat and compressing it into briquettes to burn in an oven. Done in real life for a long time, doable with simple tools, why not? (Because someone would have to code it.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:22:14 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: July 13, 2015, 02:38:44 am »

On the topic of chemicals, as a Russian person I was fairly surprised that hydrogen peroxide bottles you can occasionally find do not function as disinfectant. I'm not even sure they can be made into disinfectant, without looking through the recipe files. It seems to have been largely phased out in the US as a disinfectant because it makes scarring more likely and prolongs recovery time, but it's still a disinfectant - shouldn't it be usable as such?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: July 13, 2015, 02:41:22 am »

A better way to use swamps as an energy source would be digging for peat and compressing it into briquettes to burn in an oven. Done in real life for a long time, doable with simple tools, why not? (Because someone would have to code it.)
Mainly because being able to pull an infinite amount of fuel out of a single tile of swamp would kinda put it's value over the top a bit, and there isn't really a good way right now to separate "has taken peat from here" vs. "has not taken peat from here". You can bet this is one of the first things I'll be adding once we have a way to track a bit of data on individual tiles (which we already have some good ideas for, mainly just holding off to make the Z-level development stuff go a bit easier).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: July 13, 2015, 03:54:24 am »

Is it such an issue? A forest already provide a virtually unlimited amount of fuel.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: July 13, 2015, 07:42:46 am »

The games tracks trees being cut down, why couldn't you have "peat trees"? :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: July 13, 2015, 08:08:44 am »

So a "peat bog" tile that you could turn into a normal pit with a "dig peat" construction?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: July 13, 2015, 08:38:46 am »

Something like that, I suppose? There're probably other methods as well.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1661 on: July 13, 2015, 08:44:05 am »

On the topic of chemicals, as a Russian person I was fairly surprised that hydrogen peroxide bottles you can occasionally find do not function as disinfectant. I'm not even sure they can be made into disinfectant, without looking through the recipe files. It seems to have been largely phased out in the US as a disinfectant because it makes scarring more likely and prolongs recovery time, but it's still a disinfectant - shouldn't it be usable as such?
Yea, the non-disinfectant bugged me too.
Also, H2O2 is still common over here for first aid, just not as common as things like neosporin (anti-bact ointment), mostly due to it's bulk and longevity I would assume.
I've never seen a portable kit with H2O2, but most of the home supplies I've seen have a bottle. Personally, I've used it on just about every minor wound I've gotten, supplementing with neosporin for longer-term effectiveness when needed.

Also, with the rise of resistant strains, I wouldn't be surprised if alternatives like H2O2 become more common.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: July 13, 2015, 10:34:04 am »

Yah, the lack of hydrogen peroxide for cleaning wounds confuses me too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:51:45 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: July 13, 2015, 10:45:07 am »

H2O2 can be used to stop bleeding as well, at least I've found so from personal use.

Something different now:Is there any way to make moose/other normally (in real life) non-agressive animals less aggressive in the game excepting just talking animal empathy?  Cause I find it odd that a moose will run you down from kilometers away as someone who lives in Canada... it's very easy to actually just chase them off  :-\  excepting mating season mind you but they still don't run you down like a psychopathic badger.
Nom nom nom

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: July 13, 2015, 10:51:31 am »

I think its just a case of lowering a stat...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 451