Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 826099 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3885 on: October 06, 2016, 03:44:06 pm »

Why do slingshots make 37 noise when they fire? I thought it would be quiet, which is why I tried to snipe a shrieker zombie with it at night. Didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped.

A wrist rocket would be similar to bb gun for noise.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: October 06, 2016, 04:37:41 pm »

Sadly, it is not possible to install more than one foot pedal per vehicle. So no NPC powered Flintmobile.

Also, is it me, or are engines a tad overpowered? A single V6 gasoline engine shouldn't be able to pull my 7x11 heavy frame 10000kg mobile base at a safe speed of over 100km/h (acceleration 12). At Fuel efficiency 4. It's not even a V8.

EDIT: ohwait, I forgot to turn off the second v6. Still, with one v6 it has a safe speed of 83 acceleration 7.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 04:44:12 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: October 07, 2016, 12:11:51 am »

Sadly, it is not possible to install more than one foot pedal per vehicle. So no NPC powered Flintmobile.

Also, is it me, or are engines a tad overpowered? A single V6 gasoline engine shouldn't be able to pull my 7x11 heavy frame 10000kg mobile base at a safe speed of over 100km/h (acceleration 12). At Fuel efficiency 4. It's not even a V8.

EDIT: ohwait, I forgot to turn off the second v6. Still, with one v6 it has a safe speed of 83 acceleration 7.
I think these also depend a LOT on the wheels you use :P The engine does provide the force used to push the vehicle...but the support that makes it move along also matters just as much.
In at least that's what I can say--having used tiny tiny wheels and wondering why my nice solar engine doesn't make it move well :I

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: October 07, 2016, 02:42:04 am »

Could be, it has twelve 32" armoured wheels

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: October 07, 2016, 08:56:48 am »

What I'd like to know is why are pneumatic weapons silent? 

When a normal gun is fired, the gunpowder in the bullet case is detonated, creating lots of pressure behind the bullet.  The pressure pushes the projectile down the barrel and out at high speed. Then the unobstructed high pressure exits the barrel, and violently decompresses, making a very loud "BANG".  A suppressor gives an additional section of barrel with lots of holes (wildly oversimplified, I know) in it to make the decompression less sudden and violent, and thus less loud.

When a pneumatic gun is fired, a valve is opened, creating lots of pressure behind the bullet.  The pressure pushes the projectile down the barrel and out at high speed. Then the unobstructed high pressure exits the barrel, and violently decompresses, but for no apparent reason in CDDA, it does not make a very loud "BANG".

Am I missing something? When I open the valve to dump the 110 psi that runs the machine I'm working on, and all that pressure vents into the atmosphere, you know what happens?  It goes "BANG".  Because the mechanical engineers never specify a silencer...  I assume a gun using compressed air would need quite a bit more than 110 psi to achieve a decent velocity, but even if it was only 110 psi that is certainly not silent, even with a suppressor!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3890 on: October 07, 2016, 09:13:59 am »

It shouldn't be silent, though it shouldn't be louder than any firearm of similar caliber when silenced.
There's at least one magnitude of difference between the pressures involved.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: October 07, 2016, 10:33:02 am »

A gun's noise has two components: gas pressure exiting the barrel, and the bullet breaking the sound barrier. Pneumatic guns generally fire with less pressure than firearms, meaning the former is quieter and the latter might be out of the equation entirely. I know from experience that a gas-powered BB gun is safe to shoot without hearing protection, but it should definitely be able to be heard from pretty far away and should attract undead attention.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: October 07, 2016, 10:34:54 am »

My character is celebrating a dual event. Just finished the mobile base, and it's the last day of autumn (on a 28 day season setting).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Life's good in the Apocalypse.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: October 07, 2016, 10:55:33 am »

I like how drinking kompot has given you more pleasure than smoking a joint.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: October 07, 2016, 11:11:47 am »

Now is when a cuddle option is needed.

drunkenly cuddle the npc and wake up not wanting to discuss it ever again in the future.

'Urist McNPC is acting awkwardly in your presence!' :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: October 07, 2016, 04:29:19 pm »

I like that your character *REALLY* loves good nachos (with meat and cheese but still, 5 times better than spaghetti bolognese??)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: October 07, 2016, 04:53:58 pm »

Or three times as much as a joint for that matter.

Recruited my first NPC. Her name is Spathi Pkeloucht. She's been well-behaved so far, though she refuses to use the steel spear I made for her, saying her crossbow is better.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: October 07, 2016, 06:53:05 pm »

Not sure if it works, but you could try giving it to her with the 'hold on to this for me' command, then forbidding her to use firearms, and get her in range of a zombie. See if she swaps out the crossbow she is not allowed to fire for the melee weapon that way.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: October 07, 2016, 07:49:17 pm »

I don't need to do drugs, I have nachos
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: October 07, 2016, 07:57:37 pm »

Nachos: not even once.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 451