Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232899 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #540 on: July 12, 2015, 05:25:26 pm »

{Or, alternatively, you could figure out a way of containing the dust and using canisters of the stuff as grenades. Tear everything apart, then ignite the cloud to blow it up, or skip the last bit for area-denial.}
((OR I could miniaturize, focus, slow down release speeds, and make a passable speed-etching tool.  That would require a bit of work though.))
((Okay, thinking up uses isn't going to help if I don't have the thing working yet.  Back to actual shenanigans, perhaps?))
((Also, it should only cut when at speed.  Just saying.))

((By the way, still waiting for Word Of GM on dupli-me.))

((All I need is a reasonably small piece of diamond to channel instead of just a wide burst...If we wanted defense, a circular ring of wind with this in would just about gib anything.  Hmh.))
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:32:26 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 12, 2015, 05:56:55 pm »

{True. Of course, the stuff is magical, and Wild Magic- the kind that you can't make work scientifically, or control on a conscious level -at that. Back to real shenanigans!}

{Also, [Sorry, real shenanigans incoming :P] everyone can have two characters. One your main player-character, and one an in-universe supporting NPC. In my case that would be yours truly and Sergeant Sarvesh. In Blaze's case that's presumably himself and that goblin. Y'all can also, if you PM me first, have an antagonistic character under your control, clearly working for an explained-to-me-if-not-necessarily-everyone enemy faction- or just a wildcard, if y'want -and acting in direct opposition to your other two characters and everyone else. No having an "Arch-Enemy" who shows up to save his "Worthy Opponent" at every turn, and no more suddenly pulling FBs out of the woodwork for no reason, at least until you ask me in PM. Of course, I'm the GM, so I get default control over most NPCs, but that doesn't count.}

"Brakes're easy, Net. Give me some levers'n'ratchets and such, I'll have a passable brake, especially for chain, in a few hours. What's hard is getting the whole thing power, mechanical power, which is harder than electricity by far on this scale, making it stable rather than all wobbly like that one, and of course we should have some redundancies, a method of signalling for it to come up and down, a counterweight..."

I produce a large notebook and, beckoning you and Gwolfski over, begin sketching outlines and ideas.

"For that matter, we'll need to encase it, make it so's we can seal the shaft in a few different places, set up guards on both ends... It'll be hard. Worthwhile, but hard."
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 12, 2015, 06:07:38 pm »

"I had an idea about something with runes and wind and whatnot.  I am reasonably sure they can apply kinetic energy.  Don't know how big I can get that.  Or how powerful."
"As for that signaling thing, I could whip up something...Just a toggle switch connected to a light spell and the motor.  Well, actually, two toggl-THREE toggles-make that four for "are there passengers in the car" or something, which would probably be the hard bit.."  "In short lots of magic and-gates.  And manually operated doors on the elevators, actually, that takes out a toggle.  Of course there should be some sort of weight limit thing..."
((Y/N on having clones of myself running about in shifts, as was?))

I pull out what appears to be a PEA (for yon regular dorfs, magic glowing rock, and for the Earthlings, think of a normal tablet and multiply by a wormhole.  Then add a mug.  Almost forgot that.) and start sketching what appears to be a magic diagram, with seemingly noncausal relationships between the bits.
"Oh, WOW.  I completely forget about a PROPER communication line and...Agh.  Later."
"Either way, I think I've worked out a reasonable system, if this is actually right."
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:01:47 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 12, 2015, 06:35:36 pm »

{
//adminInput;
>N
}

{At least for now. If you go all God-Tier Dave on me, you can have timeclones, but getting there'll be a process.}
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:50:02 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 12, 2015, 07:08:42 pm »

{
//adminInput;
>N
}

{At least for now. If you go all God-Tier Dave on me, you can have timeclones, but getting there'll be a process.}
((Meh.  I can always deploy the *actual* clone should I need more me.))
((To tell you why I know someone has DF-compatible cloning tech, however, would be spoilers, but I do have a thing I borrowed.  Well, copied.))
((Also, I edited my most recent RP post.))
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:42:15 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 12, 2015, 09:01:58 pm »

Mate the 888th, Speardwarf, has grown attached to =Sporetree training spear=!
"I love you, spear! I think I'll call you Wilson!"
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 12, 2015, 09:07:33 pm »

Mate the 888th, Speardwarf, has grown attached to =Sporetree training spear=!
"I love you, spear! I think I'll call you Wilson!"
((You're training with guns, I think.))
((Also, please tell me that your next move is not to declare CARNAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!.))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 12, 2015, 09:08:32 pm »

"Given that my plan involved a three hundred meter bellpull, I support you doing... Whatever that is."

"...Wait. Kinetic energy. By which you mean, what, an arcane mass driver? Or like self-powered pumps?"

I hand the workbook off to Gwolfski and some civilian engineers who've drifted over.

"Look, if you can make magic stuff to replace some of our more... Limited infrastructure, more power to you. I'd like to work on one of my own projects, actually, so saving me having to build up the more basic stuff I'd like to have would be a real lifesaver. Feel like a good automatic rifle would brighten your day?"

The elevator plans are quickly finalized, and it is agreed that construction will begin immediately after we finish digging stairs and secure a work area.

One of the new trainees is spending too much time on his bayonet-work and not enough on marksmanship. He'll probably regret it when he needs to hit things from range.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 12, 2015, 09:11:35 pm »

"Yeah.  I think.  I'll have to build it first though."
"Either, it depends on just what magic works and what doesn't.  But once it works it should stay working."
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 12, 2015, 10:45:58 pm »

"Glad to hear it. Take your time, we've got at least a week, probably two, before we can get any work done around the cavern floors. Get back to me in a few days, I'll make some progress on firearms, you can make majjyk happen. Apparently. I don't really understand this stuff."

The odd dwarf with your friend enemy ally's voice and an author's gravity trudges off to the sleeping quarters, the cast on his leg obviously hindering him.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 12, 2015, 10:56:58 pm »

"Glad to hear it. Take your time, we've got at least a week, probably two, before we can get any work done around the cavern floors. Get back to me in a few days, I'll make some progress on firearms, you can make majjyk happen. Apparently. I don't really understand this stuff."

The odd dwarf with your friend enemy ally's voice and an author's gravity trudges off to the sleeping quarters, the cast on his leg obviously hindering him.

"Right.  I'm going to need some help with writing out all the logic though."
"Wait, if I did..."
"Still requires floor comparison but that's three variables.  It does increase the number of breakpoints..."
"Ah well, if it breaks, worst case is it hits the top or bottom in that.  And it really shouldn't...Of course!  I can just use the same call points for tracking!"
*has been typing on the PEA all this time*
"I could probably test this thing's connection, but I'd better save it for--"
INCOMING CALL
--*poke*
"Later.  Busy figuring out the least magic-heavy elevator logic."
"Figured a call now would make sure that this thing's connection works.  All right, good luck, I'll think on it over here."
CALL ENDED
"Those things are okay, but not necessarily the most effective at everything they try to do.  Really, really wish I had something smaller for calling people on."
"Eh.  Back to work!"
*heads for his own quarters, and a proper workspace*
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 12, 2015, 11:12:38 pm »

((Doublepost because scene change.))
==TheBiggerFish's Room==
==List Of Things==
  • Button input will queue moves
  • Elevator will go one direction at a time, toggled back and forth.
  • Panels will broadcast a short-range signature that the cars will track, which will be determined by a buttonpress on a springloaded panel.
  • Doors must be closed to initiate a move.
  • Upon reaching a queued floor, car will stop, doors will open for 30 sec or something.
  • Occlusion sensors.  Or something.  Make sure no dorfs in door.  Don't want dorfs dead as doornails due to doors.
A simple force rune, pointing into its surface, works for a motive force.  Centriwhateveral.  Yay.  That just needs to be able to exert the right amount of force...
Well.  It just needs to turn and not break.
That, I shall leave to Amp.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:15:48 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 12, 2015, 11:41:01 pm »

{Just realized, the liquid in Ye Fancy Flask of Biorepair should probably be strong alcohol, because dorfs, and because alcohol is an antiseptic, so you could just pour the stuff in people's wounds without having to force-feed them water.}
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:42:35 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 13, 2015, 10:05:38 am »

{Just realized, the liquid in Ye Fancy Flask of Biorepair should probably be strong alcohol, because dorfs, and because alcohol is an antiseptic, so you could just pour the stuff in people's wounds without having to force-feed them water.}
((Probs.  Consider it a thing.))
Sigtext

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #554 on: July 13, 2015, 10:14:42 am »

"Magic may be fine and fancy, but i suggest mechanical backups. Just in case we get a magic-nulifying fb or something."
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 262