Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19

Author Topic: The Eldritch Horror Thread!  (Read 29085 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The Eldritch Horror Thread!
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2015, 06:22:31 pm »

It was an extremely obscure thing he pulled.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2015, 06:32:56 pm »

It was an extremely obscure thing he pulled.
Even so, I do not actually believe that would be a rule in Trails of Cthulu. Seems... unlikely.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2015, 06:37:04 pm »

No, it was some obscure as shit lore rule or something. Something about how if Hastur's worst enemy summons him he'll come fully into the world, but be vulnerable for the slightest of instants.
Henderson made use of that to blow up a hockey arena full of dynamite.
Sig! Onol

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2015, 06:55:11 pm »

It ends with them smoking weed in the rubble and a couple of stunning revelations (Henderson's gnomes were never stolen, he gave them away for charity or something, even Henderson has no clue if that's his first or last name).

Naturally, all this was acted out after their GM ragequit and another player took over.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2015, 07:00:09 pm »

I know what they did. I jut don't believe that's an actual rule. Since Henderson does involve cheating, it wouldn't be impossible for that to be a flat out lie.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2015, 07:02:39 pm »

Is there a Call of Cthulhu or Trail of Cthulhu game or thread in the roleplaying board? This is all making me want to try a Cthulhu game. Sounds like fun.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2015, 07:03:17 pm »

Half of the stuff they did has likely been exaggerated beyond comprehension. He's become a hero of legend, a crazy drunk bastard who killed a god.
Sig! Onol

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2015, 07:11:24 pm »

I don't like people who triumphantly claim that Henderson wasn't real.
I understand their point of view, it's just that it doesn't matter to me.
Even if Henderson isn't real, it's still a damn good story. I apply this to all amazing roleplay stories.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2015, 07:17:00 pm »

Plus Lovecraft wrote before canon was a thing, so in the infinite expanses of Yog Sothoth there could very well have been/is/will be Old Man Henderson.
Sig! Onol

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2015, 08:01:14 pm »

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Ftaghn!

AZATHOTH

Also, this.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:16:52 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2015, 01:20:41 am »

Anyone here play Hyperrogue, the non-euclidean roguelike?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2015, 04:25:52 am »

League also has two void-influenced people. One uses his acquired powers to fight the void, the other sacrifices people to it. Does lovecraft have these kind of people too?
More or less. Wizards, sorcerers, or evil people using powers beyond their understanding to sacrifice or use other innocent people for their nefarious plots.

Like cults sacrificing new members to their god. Or a mad man who feeds people to the minor deity he summons in order to get what he wants. Or an inbred hillbilly wizard who whores out uses his deformed albino inbred hillbilly daughter to give birth to the half-breed children of an ancient eldritch god of tentacles and spheres, so that the inbred hillbilly wizard can train the children in using his eldritch magicks to try and pierce the veil between the normal world and another dimension full of even more eldritch monsters. Or a wizard who raises famous historical figures from the dead just to torment them to learn all their secrets to further his plot to live forever and destroy the world.

...I think there's very few people in Lovecraft who use their powers against the evil. Or few people who are fighting against the evil and even have powers to use.
I'm pretty sure he had a short story where a psychiatrist defeated a lich using eldritch magic. That was one of his less pessimistic stories, though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2015, 04:41:42 am »

Sounds like the DM has no sense of humor.  I would have had a BLAST with Old Man Henderson. The OBVIOUS plot twist to diffuse Henderson would have been to actually HAVE 40k worth of lawn gnomes turn up, removing Henderson's motive. The DM wasn't thinking like an Eldritch Horror Elder God, and clearly didnt read all of lovecraft properly.  Yog Sothoth is the eldritch horror of forbidden knowledge, secrets, and means of circumventing obstacles. He's almost universially emplored in Lovecraft's short stories, and exists outside all time and space. When confronted with such an unknowable madness as Henderson, the "Logical" thing for a cultist that's into summoning unspeakable horrors to do, would be to invoke said deity-- Especially since Derleth casts Hastur as one of Yog Sothoth's children. Yog Sothoth's powers are quite literally unlimited, and have been invoked for FAAAR stranger things than the summoning/creation of 40k worth of demonic lawn ornaments, conjured up for the sole, express purpose of killing Henderson after he "rescues" them.

If I were the GM of this particular magnum opus, I would TOTALLY have created more interesting antagonist characters, and given long and hard thought on how to use Henderson's infinite font of madness against him.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2015, 04:51:16 am »

League also has two void-influenced people. One uses his acquired powers to fight the void, the other sacrifices people to it. Does lovecraft have these kind of people too?
More or less. Wizards, sorcerers, or evil people using powers beyond their understanding to sacrifice or use other innocent people for their nefarious plots.

Like cults sacrificing new members to their god. Or a mad man who feeds people to the minor deity he summons in order to get what he wants. Or an inbred hillbilly wizard who whores out uses his deformed albino inbred hillbilly daughter to give birth to the half-breed children of an ancient eldritch god of tentacles and spheres, so that the inbred hillbilly wizard can train the children in using his eldritch magicks to try and pierce the veil between the normal world and another dimension full of even more eldritch monsters. Or a wizard who raises famous historical figures from the dead just to torment them to learn all their secrets to further his plot to live forever and destroy the world.

...I think there's very few people in Lovecraft who use their powers against the evil. Or few people who are fighting against the evil and even have powers to use.
I'm pretty sure he had a short story where a psychiatrist defeated a lich using eldritch magic. That was one of his less pessimistic stories, though.

Lovecraft has such people, directly.  Specifically, the professors from the university, in Dunwitch Horror.

Another is the researcher/student in Lights in the Witch House, who uses his ability to travel via extradimensional spaces to put an end to the witch and her rituals. (But in true lovecraft style, he gets killed HORRIBLY later.)

Another source of "Novel" character material would be a Yithian bodysnatcher, who would feel "Right at home" around many of the cosmic horrors that make human minds go totally off the rails.  (Or a human that had previously been bodysnatched, who has undergone deep repressed memory hypnotherapy--- The captive minds were given great care and hospitality, and were encouraged to mingle with other captured minds of many of the very beings that Lovecraft uses to shatter minds on sight, after a bit of an acclimation period.)

Investigating a cult of insane elder-god worshiping humans, is EXACTLY what a yithian body snatcher would TOTALLY be down for.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 05:12:19 am by wierd »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2015, 04:54:55 am »

Yeah Lovecraft either made nerds really badass or really insane/dead in his mythos.

Sounds like the DM has no sense of humor.  I would have had a BLAST with Old Man Henderson. The OBVIOUS plot twist to diffuse Henderson would have been to actually HAVE 40k worth of lawn gnomes turn up, removing Henderson's motive. The DM wasn't thinking like an Eldritch Horror Elder God, and clearly didnt read all of lovecraft properly.  Yog Sothoth is the eldritch horror of forbidden knowledge, secrets, and means of circumventing obstacles. He's almost universially emplored in Lovecraft's short stories, and exists outside all time and space. When confronted with such an unknowable madness as Henderson, the "Logical" thing for a cultist that's into summoning unspeakable horrors to do, would be to invoke said deity-- Especially since Derleth casts Hastur as one of Yog Sothoth's children. Yog Sothoth's powers are quite literally unlimited, and have been invoked for FAAAR stranger things than the summoning/creation of 40k worth of demonic lawn ornaments, conjured up for the sole, express purpose of killing Henderson after he "rescues" them.

If I were the GM of this particular magnum opus, I would TOTALLY have created more interesting antagonist characters, and given long and hard thought on how to use Henderson's infinite font of madness against him.
Thing is, it was the fact that the DM was such a buzzkill that drove Henderson's player into a fell mood in the first place.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19