Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: The Eldritch Horror Thread!  (Read 29044 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: The Eldritch Horror Thread!
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2015, 05:44:31 pm »

Well, I just think that if the megacorps can experiment with eldritch horrors, then it means the horrors are submissive to them, and thus the megacorps, which is a subset of humanity, are winning.

Of course, that assumes the megacorps are humans.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2015, 05:57:23 pm »

In Cthulhutech Nyarlathotep runs at least one of them.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2015, 05:58:50 pm »

Well, I just think that if the megacorps can experiment with eldritch horrors, then it means the horrors are submissive to them, and thus the megacorps, which is a subset of humanity, are winning.

Of course, that assumes the megacorps are humans.

That also assumes that eldritch horrors are there against their will.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2015, 06:01:14 pm »

Or that they are experimenting on minor abominations thye can capture. Same as if the Taliban capture a US soldier they aren't beating America.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2015, 06:13:22 pm »

If a megacorp can experiment with eldritch horrors, then I think that makes it a Lovecraft lite.

Which is why it's all at the discretion of the DM. If he wants to have his players fight a shoggoth with cybernetics installed on them, he does. If he wants to have them deal with cultists but with lazerguns instead of revolvers and keep it as close to a true cosmic horror level, then he can.

Shoggoths don't have bone or... Flesh really...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2015, 06:17:53 pm »

Really they just stick a pair of AAs in them and call it a day.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2015, 07:15:37 pm »

How far is the extent of a shoggoth's metamorphic ability, anyways? Seems like they have brain(s), which is controlled by the Elder Thing's psychic suggestions and does not have free will. The rebellious shoggoths are apparently "mutants" which seem to suggest that they have some form of genetic structure, or maybe the mutation is not physical but have more to do with some ethereal construct that give them identity.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2015, 07:23:18 pm »

I've had a concept along some of these lines of taking an elder god, and strapping them to a colossal standalone generation ship of some sort (or some massive colony ship/ark to ship entire civilizations to freshly terraformed planets), using them like some sort of demon-reactor core of some sort. Of course, they'd be asleep while they're being used as a power source. It'd take some serious balls for a company to do something like that (for profit), or some sort of cataclysm of a homeworld to resort to doing something like that out of necessity.

Of course, what happens when one of them wakes up? A ship of that scale suddenly becoming a ghost ship with no sign of residence, besides the awoken demon in the reactor core? I doubt anyone but the most hardcore would dare step foot a mere parsec near that kind of derelict.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2015, 07:25:10 pm »

How would you use them as a power source, anyway?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2015, 07:26:07 pm »

The big issue is that the simple existence of a Elder God is anathema to those living on the ship.

The other is that they do not truly sleep so to speak, they can still act. Even Cthulhu does things while "sleepwalking" so to speak.

It would be something you would do if you were truly desperate... but not something you would do to save bucks.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2015, 07:37:38 pm »

If you want power in space, you use nuclear. If you don't have enough, you simply get there slower, since you can't accelerate as much.

If they have the tech to send a generation ship, they probably have fusion, at this point, so they can maybe siphon interstellar hydrogen as fuel (don't quote me on that). Or simply takes stocks of fusion fuel, which don't exactly take up too much space.

Maybe if the colonists were in cryogenics so the elder god doesn't effect them so much, but yeah, having a Bad Thing so close and filling the ship with Bad Thing Waves seems a bad idea.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2015, 07:40:19 pm »

Think a megacorp that deals with an occult force like that (especially if they found a way to subdue one) would care? Then again, who knows the motives or methods used? Could all be an illusion.

EDIT:
I guess I had something closer to R-Type or Contra or some such in mind. Then again, some of those were giant creatures with bases built around/on them.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:45:19 pm by Itnetlolor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2015, 07:40:34 pm »

You are forgetting that some Elder Gods either don't have EXACTLY physical bodies (for example Daoloth is more like a floating infinite angle) or have energy bodies made of plasmatic fire.

Think you could fuel a ship with a mini-sun?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2015, 07:45:20 pm »

Think you could fuel a ship with a mini-sun?
In science fiction? Yes. Probably would be something like a dawson sphere but with the gravitational pull to drag the mini-sun along with the ship. Or just use the fusion of the mini-sun for power, rather than solar energy from a dawson sphere.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2015, 07:47:16 pm »

I don't really know the different elder gods.

I read Lovecraft's works, but don't remember a huge amount.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19