Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: The Eldritch Horror Thread!  (Read 29088 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: The Eldritch Horror Thread!
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2015, 10:43:18 am »

Just wait until you see the headless giant baby
Y'golonac? I dunno, some depictions I've seen invoke some pretty heavy-duty mind bleach afterwards.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2015, 11:31:46 am »

Y'golonac?
YOU FOOL! YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2015, 11:33:45 am »

So who's this Y'golonac guy. I'll just Google an---

AH FUCK! I CAN'T UNSEE THAT SHIT.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2015, 11:37:19 am »

Speaking of Christian-ish horrors, some of the biblical descriptions of angels are pretty lovecraftian. Bodies of intersecting wheels covered in eyes, for example.
For some reason, whenever I hear that, and the burning bush and such (floating balls of light and etc.), I always looked at it like fractals in meatspace (or extra-dimensional computer programs, somewhat Matrix-like raw data entities; in some cases, virus-scanners that keep the universe in check (they don't all need to be Agent Smith/MIB).). Then again, I've watched Electric Sheep quite a bit; but you can describe that screensaver pretty much the same way in most cases. In other words, angels and such could just be floating math (will-o-wisps of data/programs/files/etc. Sorta like Tron, but non-humanoid in nature/form.).

Also, why else would certain avatars change from looking something like Electric Sheep or whatnot into something less mind-breaking like another human being or a talking platypus? Or at least, introduce themselves with "fear not.", while in their raw forms?

EDIT:
Right, that wheels in wheels thing also works with my UFO post earlier. UFOs don't necessarily need to be vehicles. Some of those could be a portion or the full-actual body of an entity. Kinda like talking to a rock or machine component. And for some reason, Master of Orion and Starcon come to mind (from Silicoids, Taalo, and Chenjesu (sentient rocks, though Chenjesu are more like sentient crystals)) to Mmrnmhrm and Meklar (sentient machines), and the Chmmr (a hybrid of both Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm; rock-machine/mechanical rocks)).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:15:34 pm by Itnetlolor »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2015, 11:37:57 am »

Y'golonac?
I read that as Y'cognac for some reason

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2015, 11:41:27 am »

* GiglameshDespair  tips cultist mask

M'golonac.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2015, 11:41:34 am »

PTW too.

I've never read anything written by Lovecraft (or anyone alike). Should I?
Oh yeah, saw this earlier. Go for it. You can find a bunch of his works online for free on websites dedicated to it. So you can try reading stuff without worrying about if you'll like it or not and waste money. You don't even have to go out to a library. If you do like what you read then you can go out and buy your own copies if you want.

I'd recommend Pickman's Model, Cool Air, Rats in the Walls, or At the Mountains of Madness for stuff to start with. I realize that list I linked can look daunting.

Also read The Thing on The Doorstep and The Colour Out of Space.

My favorite was The Dunwich Horror

Y'golonac?
I read that as Y'cognac for some reason

At least it wasn't Y'colonic
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:45:08 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2015, 12:36:00 pm »

I liked the storytelling in the Dunwich horror, and the monster was alright, mostly because the characters could not see him, so it allowed the reader to fall into Nothing is Scarier territory, which can be a pretty good way to convey horror.

And Y'golonac is one of my favorites, mostly because he's one of the few mythos creatures that were not created by Lovecraft that dont actualy suck (go home Ithaqua nobody cares about you).

We should try creating a thread composed only of cryptic pictures that dont actualy have anything in them, but are foreboding and scary because they convey a feeling that there MIGHT be something hidden in them, even if there isn't.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2015, 12:41:02 pm »

And Y'golonac is one of my favorites, mostly because he's one of the few mythos creatures that were not created by Lovecraft that dont actualy suck (go home Ithaqua nobody cares about you).

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2015, 12:44:56 pm »

We should try creating a thread composed only of cryptic pictures that dont actualy have anything in them, but are foreboding and scary because they convey a feeling that there MIGHT be something hidden in them, even if there isn't.

A pure image thread would probably be removed.  We should act that we know of something that is in it that is in it is not, though being cryptic at all times as to what exactly it is.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2015, 12:57:51 pm »

And then disguise it as an image thread on an Internet forum!

An excellent plan, Brother Z'nzektzen.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2015, 01:56:06 pm »

I think that Zalgo may be partly  based on Y'golonac; in particular the "...he who waits behind the wall..." angle.

EDIT:
Speaking of things being based on other things, has anyone else heard the theory that The Dunwich Horror is a heavily veiled satire of the gospel?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:58:35 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2015, 02:01:04 pm »

Both sound like they are based on Yog Sothoth to me...

Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again. He knows where They have trod earth's fields, and where They still tread them, and why no one can behold Them as They tread.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2015, 02:01:32 pm »

Haven't heard that before, but it sounds kind of revisionist. Then again, this is what Lovecraft had to say on religion:

All I say is that I think it is damned unlikely that anything like a central cosmic will, a spirit world, or an eternal survival of personality exist. They are the most preposterous and unjustified of all the guesses which can be made about the universe, and I am not enough of a hairsplitter to pretend that I don't regard them as arrant and negligible moonshine. In theory I am an agnostic, but pending the appearance of radical evidence I must be classed, practically and provisionally, as an atheist."[51]

So it's not out of the realm of possibility it was intended as satire. Really....gross satire.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2015, 02:04:20 pm »

Does Lovecraft actually have the eldritch gods' pantheon clearly set out, or is that a later thing?

I find that in his stories he seems to go all over the place.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19