Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: The Eldritch Horror Thread!  (Read 29008 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: The Eldritch Horror Thread!
« Reply #225 on: March 21, 2015, 07:45:54 pm »

Yup. That was the source of the horror and terror in lovecrafts works - "The things we know about the universe might be wrong! We might need to rethink our values and morals! No, it can't be true! Say it isn't so!"

Also stuff like alien creatures wanting to wipe mankind from the earth

You're misunderstanding the Mythos. The Old Ones are indifferent to mankind; in the same way that a land developer is indifferent to the creatures of a bulldozed forest.
Well, in Dunwich Horror they are said to want to drag Earth away from the Solar System and wipe out humanity, sorta.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2015, 07:49:43 pm »

Yup. That was the source of the horror and terror in lovecrafts works - "The things we know about the universe might be wrong! We might need to rethink our values and morals! No, it can't be true! Say it isn't so!"

You're misunderstanding the Mythos. The Old Ones are indifferent to mankind; in the same way that a land developer is indifferent to the creatures of a bulldozed forest.
Well, in Dunwich Horror they are said to want to drag Earth away from the Solar System and wipe out humanity, sorta.

Is this in the book or the movie? I remember something like that being said in the movie, but not in the book.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 21, 2015, 07:50:17 pm »

Is this in the book or the movie? I remember something like that being said in the movie, but not in the book.
Book. Wilbur Wright's diary.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2015, 07:51:04 pm »

There are plenty of creatures in lovecraft stories that are antagonistic to humanity, and some of them are aliens.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 21, 2015, 07:53:48 pm »

Nyarlathotep is pretty antagonistic towards humanity.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 21, 2015, 07:55:20 pm »

Not really. His intentions toward humanity only extend to how he can sacrifice them.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 21, 2015, 08:03:23 pm »

Well, I think a lot of times a issue you'll run into with lovecraft is that although his stories are connected to each other and in theory take place in the same universe, a lot of stuff isn't quite the same, and a lot of things (including at times Nyarlathotep) he puts into stories just as whatever plot piece or hint or whatever he needs or wants to maintain the air of the story. Basically, the whole thing is fragmented and not necessarily even suppose to weave one whole tapestry of a world, so when you try to look at them like they are suppose to all work together, they just don't fit perfectly. Nyarlathotep is an example of this. I believe in one story he actually does destroy the world and the humans in it. But in another, he, as you said, has no interest humanity or the world except for how it can further his larger goals. When you have differences like that you can't quite really put one as 'right' or 'wrong'.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 21, 2015, 08:26:41 pm »

-snip-

Book. Wilbur Wright's diary.
Yeah, that. I'm sure Yog-Sothoth himself doesn't care one way or another, but the Wrights and the alien creatures Wilbur mentions summoning from the other realms are antagonistic to people.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 21, 2015, 08:44:59 pm »

Well, I think a lot of times a issue you'll run into with lovecraft is that although his stories are connected to each other and in theory take place in the same universe, a lot of stuff isn't quite the same, and a lot of things (including at times Nyarlathotep) he puts into stories just as whatever plot piece or hint or whatever he needs or wants to maintain the air of the story. Basically, the whole thing is fragmented and not necessarily even suppose to weave one whole tapestry of a world, so when you try to look at them like they are suppose to all work together, they just don't fit perfectly. Nyarlathotep is an example of this. I believe in one story he actually does destroy the world and the humans in it. But in another, he, as you said, has no interest humanity or the world except for how it can further his larger goals. When you have differences like that you can't quite really put one as 'right' or 'wrong'.

But isn't that the point? You just can't understand it, they're indecipherable.
Its a mirror of a primal fear, fear of the unknown, and his religious views, if anything has some great cosmic power it wouldn't care about us, we're like ants to a sentient sun.

Now I'm not saying things were perfectly planned out, but use of inconsistent plot devices supported a consistent theme.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2015, 08:47:41 pm »

No, lovecraft just didn't try to make a universe. While many of his stories share details, it was not an effort to create a canon.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2015, 09:19:34 pm »

No, lovecraft just didn't try to make a universe. While many of his stories share details, it was not an effort to create a canon.
Weeeeell... it's sorta in-between. He didn't want to establish *canon* as modern series have, but it was a kind of an *universe*; basically, the story elements were interwoven between all stories and the differences tolerated so it was more of a mythology thing rather than a canon, think the difference between ancient religious stories and christian ones.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2015, 10:40:15 pm »

It's like the Greek Mythos except with less rape and more tentacles.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2015, 10:42:44 pm »

I'm not saying he did, I'm saying that his inconsistencies, and shared details, coincidentally reinforce a point he did try and make.
Happy accident, and a good excuse not to make things make sense.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2015, 10:54:05 pm »

It's like the Greek Mythos except with less rape and more tentacles.

No. Dagon is TOTALLY into the rape.  Possibly WITH tentacles.

There's also the extended universe fanfiction from other authors with Shub Nigguroth...  Plenty of edritch nookie happenin if you really want it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2015, 11:10:22 pm »

Well yeah there's definetely rape if you look for it, just less than what I've seen in Greek myth.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19