Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19

Author Topic: The Eldritch Horror Thread!  (Read 29012 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Eldritch Horror Thread!
« Reply #195 on: March 07, 2015, 04:21:33 pm »

Thank goodness "Magic Native Americans" exist :P

Seriously if there is one flaw of the Pen and Paper RPG is they constantly non-stop mention magic weapons yet never provide a single one. Even in spells like "Enchant Knife" do not create a magic knife of which to hurt someone, but rather it is a ritual item.

While... an Athame might not count as a "magic weapon" as in a weapon enchanted to be a better weapon.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 04:24:17 pm by Neonivek »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 07, 2015, 04:29:58 pm »

I too enjoyed reading the K'n-yan story.

I think the reason is that unlike most Lovecraft monsters or alien races, the K'n-yan are actually deeply explored. The MC actually lives among them for years. It's the only example of a Lovecraftian race that is not utterly alien and inhuman, and at the same time the race's society and culture hasn't completely collapsed or is flat out incomprehensible. The only other story I can think of that compares in terms of exploring another race's society is Mountains of Madness, which describe the history of the Elder Thing's culture, but the culture itself and the entire race has died out at the time the MC learns of them. And the Elder Things are much less relatable than the Kn-Yan.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2015, 04:31:52 pm »

Others that might count as "Magical Weapon" include the Mytho-tech zapper guns used by Elder Things, (Invented to quell early Shoggoth rebellions) since they use special energy sources-- and sympathetic magical ritual items. (Say, a voodoo doll.)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2015, 04:35:25 pm »

I too enjoyed reading the K'n-yan story.

I think the reason is that unlike most Lovecraft monsters or alien races, the K'n-yan are actually deeply explored. The MC actually lives among them for years. It's the only example of a Lovecraftian race that is not utterly alien and inhuman, and at the same time the race's society and culture hasn't completely collapsed or is flat out incomprehensible. The only other story I can think of that compares in terms of exploring another race's society is Mountains of Madness, which describe the history of the Elder Thing's culture, but the culture itself and the entire race has died out at the time the MC learns of them. And the Elder Things are much less relatable than the Kn-Yan.

Shadow out of Time 'tries' to give service to the Yithians, but falls for his usual MO of simply being fear of the obscure/unknown/different.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2015, 04:36:56 pm »

I haven't read Shadow Out of Time yet, I think.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2015, 04:38:52 pm »

Naw the Lightning guns aren't magic (and the Yith, Mi-Go, and Elder Things have all made their own versions)

MIND YOU... Not that it matters because the Lightning Gun is the best weapon for dealing with Flying Polyps, Shoggoths, and most "amorphous" creatures.

It just isn't going to work on anything that is "Magic Only"

Mind you creatures that are only vulnerable to magic are rather rare (Ones invulnerable to magic attack even rarer). Lightning Gun would be rather invaluable in most encounters. Few creatures are immune to it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 04:49:47 pm by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 07, 2015, 04:59:20 pm »

According to Shadow out of Time, the zapper gun is the ONLY thing that is "truly" effective against flying polyps. (The Yithians are SUPER CRAZY ADVANCED technologically-- The zapper gun is more like a freaking star trek phaser set on disintigrate-- and sometimes it only just pisses the polyps off.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2015, 05:28:04 pm »

It is still true.

Trying to fight a Flying Polyp without a Lightning Gun is futile attempt.

Live: 37

Shotgun: 0 damage
Dynamite: 0 damage
Molotov/Flamethrower: 2d6-4 or 3 damage average... Against an enemy that can continuously blow gale force winds against you that shred you to pieces... GOOD LUCK!
Mounted Machine Guns: 2 damage
Mortar: 2 damage
Elephant Gun: 3 damage
Law: 4 damage
10-guage solid slug shotgun at 50 yards: 4 damage
Tank Shell: 11 damage

While a Lightning Gun with a typical charge deals 4d10-4 or 18 damage average or if you just want to use it as a disposable gun it does 32d10, meaning it needs to do absolute minimum damage to even not manage to land a kill.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:12:25 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 07, 2015, 06:01:09 pm »

Mi-Gos are best because they're made of loot!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 07, 2015, 06:05:37 pm »

Molotov/Flamethrower: 2d6 or 7 damage average... Against an enemy that can continuously blow gale force winds against you that shred you to pieces... GOOD LUCK!
Hm. If the player with the misfortune to be dealing with a Flying Polyp only armed with molotov coktails was absurdly lucky (It's a 2.78% chance), they could kill a Flying Polyp in two-to-three hits by pelting it with said molotovs.
I'm sure that would reduce everyone at the table to silence.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:08:17 pm by Fniff »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 07, 2015, 06:09:39 pm »

I forgot to apply the armor to heat and electricity. (usually creatures who are only vulnerable to energy have no armor)

Your still right... if that person did it they would be the master of Call of Cthulhu.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 07, 2015, 08:06:47 pm »

Naw the Lightning guns aren't magic (and the Yith, Mi-Go, and Elder Things have all made their own versions)

MIND YOU... Not that it matters because the Lightning Gun is the best weapon for dealing with Flying Polyps, Shoggoths, and most "amorphous" creatures.

It just isn't going to work on anything that is "Magic Only"

Mind you creatures that are only vulnerable to magic are rather rare (Ones invulnerable to magic attack even rarer). Lightning Gun would be rather invaluable in most encounters. Few creatures are immune to it.

Sn't the distiction between magic and technology in the Cthulhu Mythos ultimately meaningless?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2015, 08:19:37 pm »

There are differences but yeah they blend together so much they might as well be the same thing a lot of the time.

For example the Yith's time traveling abilities? Technology with possible magical origin.

But naw the Lightning gun is purely technological... well to my knowledge at least.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:26:35 pm by Neonivek »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2015, 11:11:12 am »

I'd like to see a parody of the British sitcom "The Young Ones" where it was changed to "The Old Ones"; With Cthulhu, Hastur, Dagon, and Yig sharing a run down student apartment in england together

Also,
Molotov/Flamethrower: 2d6 or 7 damage average... Against an enemy that can continuously blow gale force winds against you that shred you to pieces... GOOD LUCK!
Hm. If the player with the misfortune to be dealing with a Flying Polyp only armed with molotov coktails was absurdly lucky (It's a 2.78% chance), they could kill a Flying Polyp in two-to-three hits by pelting it with said molotovs.

I thought Flying Polyps were incorporeal
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2015, 11:13:58 am »

I thought Flying Polyps were incorporeal
Kind of sort of. I imagine if lightening works on them, fire does too.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19