Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: OPPRESSION TOWER: Not just a one man army  (Read 26468 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: OPPRESSION TOWER: Now with update OP!
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2015, 09:06:47 am »

How so, Derm?

It really depends on what you're looking for.  If you want story and intrigue, Crownhammers is the third fortress run by a group of us who really enjoy that, after Steelhold and Demongate (Steelhold and Demongate are in a chronological timeline with each other while Crownhammers is a separate thing).  I don't play many fortresses these days, but it really depends on what you are looking for.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2015, 09:14:41 am »

That's actually something I've always wanted to clear up. What's so special about Boatmurdered aside from being one of the earlier succession games? Nothing particularly out of the ordinary happened in it compared to some of the other games I've read.

(Update this evening- we had to come in to work for the day in spite of everyone being fully aware we wouldn't have anything to do)
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2015, 06:38:21 pm »

My apologies, I can't seem to get this save to upload. Can I have an extra day to try figure out what's gone wrong with it? In the meantime, here's the update I apparently didn't post even though I thought I did.

Verse the Fifth:
1]On the first day of the eight month, a woodcutter did reveal the work he had been toiling on, a perfect blue jade named The Stern Weight.
2]And my avatar did say:
3]"That would look really nice in my new bedroom that you've all been toiling on."
4]But the carpenter did beg him, saying:
5]"Please, I need the commission from this to feed my wife and child, you denied them my wages while I was working on the gems!"
6]And my avatar, knowing the power of mercy, did smile and say:
7]"Be not afraid, for you shall be paid in full for your work, providing that you provide gems to replace that which I desired."
8]And the woodcutter did gladly agree.
9]In the meantime, with my avatar's new accommodations completed, he turned once more to the great tower the dwarves were building, decreeing:
10]"With the offerings you have provided to me, you have won my blessing! Your tower shall rise proud and be a great monument to the ingenuity of our kind!"
11]And the dwarves gladly returned to their labour, insisting that my avatar should rest and take no part in their toils.
12]For it would be unfair to allow the divine to aid them in their great works.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2015, 06:43:12 pm »

My apologies for the delay The second half of my year was nothing to write home about aside from running out of booze during winter and nearly having a few people die of dehydration. The Oppression Tower is now 11 z levels tall, 15 if you count my pyramid.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2015, 07:31:14 pm »

Posting to be opressed.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2015, 09:42:52 pm »

running out of booze during winter

Not the best time to use it I know, but whatevs.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2015, 10:05:34 am »

Meh. I got everything I wanted out of those mortals. Why would I waste time providing food for them when they could be building me a bigger tower?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2015, 01:46:38 pm »

Excuse me?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2015, 01:51:14 pm »

...when they could be building me a bigger tower?
Excuse me?

This seems like it would be the best time to use that.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2015, 03:30:09 pm »

Okay, so it's Maxcat's turn.  Let's see if he shows up.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2015, 03:38:41 pm »

Got the save. Taking a look now.

No well, 30 booze, around 20 beds total, a windmill that is connected to nothing, bridges with moats that are full of ice, 55 out of 88 dwarves are idling, there are 3 ghosts, no coffins, over 60 gems just stockpiling, no bins, and no designated workshop level. There is only 1 farm, the militia has been reduced to just me, there is blood everywhere, and there are giant kea corpses rotting in the hallways. I doubt we could fight off an angry badger.

In short, the fortress is doing well.

Edit: After looking around a bit, I noticed that a clever overseer had set up the Tower so that wagons could be driven up it. Due to this, I now have set up some goals for my year:
1) Make a Dead Level (Tombs, Coffins, refuse stockpiles, and Memorials). Done. The fort has a Creepy Crawler issue, so there are refuse piles is just about any place that they could be put.
2) Give every dwarf a room and a bed. I made Nice bedrooms for 40~ dwarfs, and let the rest share 20 dorm beds. If this isn't oppressive, I don't know what is.
3) Set up a Industrial Level, and put the Trade Depot on it. Mostly done: just need the walls finished.
4) There is Black Sand. TO THE MAGMA PUMPS. We have iron. If I can get some bags, I may set up a serrated glass disk industry.
5) A secret project to aid in Oppression of the Masses. Fort successfully Oppressed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:07:19 pm by maxcat61 »
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2015, 03:41:04 pm »

There's player fort good and succession fort good. Two very different measures.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2015, 06:45:43 pm »

Things of note so far.

I realized that Limonite was an ore of Iron, and did a little dance.
All of the ghosts have been put to rest.
I have built a lever room, 3 offices, a graveyard in the sky, and am working on bedrooms. I traded with the elves, and took all their food and some chests for a few gems. I would have killed them, but there are only 2 poorly equipped militia members left, and the blood would just get everywhere. In addition, the first step of my Secret Project has been complete.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A tomb and an office goes to the dwarf that can successfully guess what my secret project is.

A wild Werepig Appears!
Militia uses "Attack 1 at a time": it's not very effective.
Werepig uses "Go Crazy": 3 dwarfs die (Including Froggy-ninja), and a glass-maker.
Militia uses "Send in a wrestler, alone"
The Werepig has been slain, choked to death.
"It was inevitable"

Edit: 1 month later, the wrestler turns into a werepig, and is subsequently killed. He was sparing just before the transformation. This brings the militia, from just, 1, to 5, and now down to 2 members. At this rate, the squad will be full after 8 more Werebeast attacks.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:49:05 pm by maxcat61 »
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2015, 09:11:46 pm »

A tomb and an office goes to the dwarf that can successfully guess what my secret project is.
Spoiler: My Response (click to show/hide)

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2015, 09:16:25 pm »

Spoiler: My Response (click to show/hide)
Hehe, that is an appropriate response, but wrong. No tomb for U  :P.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13