Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Games Where You're the Bad Guy  (Read 25631 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Games Where You're the Bad Guy
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2015, 04:33:39 am »

Are we including games with the capacity to perform things that are socially taboo/fridge horror/'excessively mean'?

were treading back into vague and undefined territory again.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:36:18 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2015, 04:34:54 am »

Pokemon.

You force cute little critters to fight other cute little critters.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2015, 07:36:58 am »

To restate for the sake of clarity the big defining feature of being THE Bad Guy is that you are bad and your enemy is GOOD. A lot of the games being suggested are games where you are bad and are fighting bad guys or games where you're bad from a certain point of view or games where you can do bad things as a distraction from your ultimately good objectives.

In Postal 2 you have the power to kill innocent people and do bad things but most of the time when you actually have to kill someone they're psychotic gun wielding maniacs who are no better than you. Destroy All Humans is good but the Majestic ruin it by being brain washing world dominating moustache twirling villains instead of legitimately and understandably wanting to stop an alien invasion. You're bad but you're fighting another kind of evil.

Rampage is a good example of a bad guy game, you want to kill and destroy while your enemies want you to not do that.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2015, 08:09:10 am »

Destroy All Humans is good but the Majestic ruin it by being brain washing world dominating moustache twirling villains instead of legitimately and understandably wanting to stop an alien invasion. You're bad but you're fighting another kind of evil.

That's why I said that only the first game and the first half of the second game count.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2015, 08:13:22 am »

That's why I said that only the first game and the first half of the second game count.
Unless I'm mistaken there are at least two separate mind control plots in the first one.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2015, 09:53:13 am »

You're playing as a director of the British equivalent of the tinfoil hatter's Men In Black (operating, amusingly, from the Department of Fisheries of the Ministry of Agriculture, similar to how Secret Service used to be part of Treasury),

Um... Secret Service was created in 1865 to fight currency counterfeiting. Of course it was part of the Treasury. They didn't even start protecting the president until 1901.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2015, 10:44:14 am »

You're playing as a director of the British equivalent of the tinfoil hatter's Men In Black (operating, amusingly, from the Department of Fisheries of the Ministry of Agriculture, similar to how Secret Service used to be part of Treasury),

Um... Secret Service was created in 1865 to fight currency counterfeiting. Of course it was part of the Treasury. They didn't even start protecting the president until 1901.
>_> Yes, I know, if you have a better example you are free to supply one.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2015, 05:10:43 pm »

Bad Rats: THIS IS A GAME WITH NO BACKSTORY. HOW DARE YOU SHADOWLORD?
FIFY
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:53:27 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2015, 10:47:53 pm »

Rampage was pretty straightforward. You knock down buildings and kill people, civilians included, because you can. There was no real point to it other than blow stuff up. No option to be good or fight the powah. Kill, eat, smash, repeat.
I thought to suggest it, but the monsters are the result of experiments carried out on humans by Scumlabs. It also smacks of King Kong where it's not the ape who is to blame exactly.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2015, 11:02:30 pm »

any game where you are the police or military, or any game where you play the "good" guys who are often the opressors painted in white light.

Power to the People. Down with the man.
I got nothing

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2015, 01:03:54 am »

Here's the question: Is the character know what are they doing, how bad someone they are fighting and if they know about how bad it is?
Things like this invariably fail when the character KNOWS who he's fighting is a bad(der) guy. But when the character didn't know that they are fighting for the lesser evil, and everyone he fight is like that, it's not about who is he fighting anymore; It's more how he generally do things.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2015, 01:55:21 am »

Wait. What?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dammit I meant Joseph Clarence, there is enough space in my brain dedicated for exactly one clarence so I just mushed those two together.

That reminds me of an anecdote I heard one time about a guy who got James Earl Jones mixed up with James Earl Ray
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2015, 12:26:20 pm »

Here's the question: Is the character know what are they doing, how bad someone they are fighting and if they know about how bad it is?
Things like this invariably fail when the character KNOWS who he's fighting is a bad(der) guy. But when the character didn't know that they are fighting for the lesser evil, and everyone he fight is like that, it's not about who is he fighting anymore; It's more how he generally do things.
Ethically it should have to do with intent. If you shoot a random person but it turns out they were doublehitler you aren't a good guy. In a gameplay standpoint there's nothing accidentally in the game. If you think you're fighting the good guys but it turns out the good guys are led by doublehitler then that's because someone designed the game like that and it undercuts you as the villain. 

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2015, 12:32:22 pm »

Ethically it should have to do with intent. If you shoot a random person but it turns out they were doublehitler you aren't a good guy.

When I played Fallout 3 for the first time I shot Tenpenny to steal his sniper rifle and got a bunch of positive karma. :P
AFTER blowing up Megaton for him.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2015, 12:42:33 pm »

any game where you are the police or military, or any game where you play the "good" guys who are often the opressors painted in white light.

Power to the People. Down with the man.
I'm way to lazy to look for 'OOOH THE EDGE' macro. Feel free to google it at your own convenience.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11