Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Games Where You're the Bad Guy  (Read 25608 times)

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games Where You're the Bad Guy
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2015, 05:41:23 pm »

Fallout 3 and New Vegas: Three allows you to side with the bad guys.
I don't think F3 qualifies, you have one opportunity to cooperate with the 'bad guys' i.e. Enclave but if you do so Autumn murders you for no reason because he's wacky like that Bethesda's writers have no talent

you can make a binary choice at the end of the game to do the homicidal talking computer's bidding for no reason or not, but you're still fighting da evul enclave the whole game no matter what

unless you are saying that Autumn & the Enclave are actually the good guys in Fallout 3 and it is actually the morons at the Brotherhood who are the evil ones, in that case I agree entirely
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:44:49 pm by TripJack »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2015, 06:08:34 pm »

I don't think F3 qualifies, you have one opportunity to cooperate with the 'bad guys' i.e. Enclave but if you do so Autumn murders you for no reason because he's wacky like that Bethesda's writers have no talent

you can make a binary choice at the end of the game to do the homicidal talking computer's bidding for no reason or not, but you're still fighting da evul enclave the whole game no matter what

unless you are saying that Autumn & the Enclave are actually the good guys in Fallout 3 and it is actually the morons at the Brotherhood who are the evil ones, in that case I agree entirely

It's an odd one because the Enclave are consistently presented as the bad guys and the Brotherhood is treated as doing the right thing by opposing them. Changing sides is unexpected, late in the game, and only logically makes sense if you think that you ,being a wastelander, don't deserve to exist. However it's not really a brief flirtation with bastardom like you tend to get with a lot of BGGs it's changing sides in a way that changes the story. Now that you've refreshed my memory though you spend the entire game fighting bad guys and the only exception is a period of less than a minute directly after deciding to help them. Fallout 3 is no Bad Guy Game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2015, 06:37:02 pm »

Add Payday 1 & 2 to the list. You're unequivocally bad guys doing bad things for the sake of badness (and money!), opposed by the good guys.

I guess now that I re-read your #2 and actually understand it....man, most games where you get to play someone bad dilute it by making your opponents ostensibly worse. Going through my Steam list every time I see a "bad guy" game it's set in a crap sack world where you look righteous by comparison. In that case I guess Prototype doesn't really qualify.

The Aliens vs. Predator games kind of meet this bar when you're fighting marines, but they're usually the side show to the Xenoforms.

Postal.

Syndicate kind of counts when you consider all the havoc you wreak on the civilian population. The law enforcement in that game is a little grey though IIRC, and in the game's successor Satellite Reign it's looking even greyer.

Dynasty Warriors when you play Cao Cao leading the Kingdom of Wei. He makes a lot of noise about the world needing a strong leader, yadda yadda, but you're pretty obviously the bad guy in the War of the Three Kingdoms.

Absolutely Dominions. You can play something with an evil-as-hell back story, use diabolically evil tactics and magic in gameplay and set yourself against relatively "nice" cultures and gods. I mean, you can play a god/nation where your end goal is the elimination of all life on the planet. That generally makes you the baddest of teh bad.

That Which Sleeps, although it's not technically a game yet.

Counter Strike.

Assassin's Creed: Rogue is going to be about the Templars. While that might be a shoe-in, I have no doubt it's going to go the "See, Assassin's can be dicks too!" angle. The series has always tried to make everyone look both guilty and justified, so, calling anyone the bad guy there can be difficult (when it's not bafoonishly over the top, that is. I'm looking at you, every villain in Assassin's Creed 2.)

E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy, because I dare someone to try and sort that shit out. Someone's bad though.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:02:42 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2015, 06:58:21 pm »

E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy, because I dare someone to try and sort that shit out. Someone's bad though.

I blame it all on the skeleton king.

Dynasty Warriors when you play Cao Cao leading the Kingdom of Wei. He makes a lot of noise about the world needing a strong leader, yadda yadda, but you're pretty obviously the bad guy in the War of the Three Kingdoms.

Its because the author of "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" lived in Lui Bei's kingdom, so he wrote Cao Cao as a bad guy.  (I'm sure they were all rotten bastards). 

Edit:  Actually, I'm not sure that is true, I can't find a confirmation source...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:04:50 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2015, 07:04:05 pm »

Well, that explains why Liu Bei is the nice lord in pretty much every game I've played of it.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2015, 07:29:31 pm »

Postal.
What about that new really fucking edgy one? The one with Nate M Portent.

As for the bad guy list, Both DEFCON and Interplanetary are games with a similar core concept where you indiscriminately bomb everyone else. I would say that gives you some "bad guy" points.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2015, 09:41:44 pm »

Postal.
What about that new really fucking edgy one? The one with Nate M Portent.
You mean Hatred? It's pretty edgy, man.

On topic, just jumping in the thread here without reading but the two Overlord games come to mind. Although everyone in those games are "bad" in some way, except maybe the elves, who are just whiny dicks. You're playing the in-universe recognized-and-feared-by-all big bad, though.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2015, 10:34:47 pm »

Oh yeah, Stubbs the Zombie was great.

And yeah, most of the people you killed were cops trying to do their job, or high schoolers. The few truly bad people don't make up for the massive atrocities you commit on the innocent populace.
I'm sorry, what?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2015, 10:35:34 pm »

Oh yeah, Stubbs the Zombie was great.

And yeah, most of the people you killed were cops trying to do their job, or high schoolers. The few truly bad people don't make up for the massive atrocities you commit on the innocent populace.
I'm sorry, what?
Sorry, college students. Wasn't thinking when I wrote that.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2015, 10:43:27 pm »

Custer's Revenge

EDIT: If you want a serious answer, as an antag in SS13, you're technically a bad guy.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2015, 11:12:29 pm »

Went back to read some of this thread and the Overlord games are some of the first mentioned. Nice input to the thread, me. GG.

What about Choice of Robots? It's a choose your own adventure sort of thing where you play a guy working to make a sentient robot that learns and develops like a human. You can choose to get some pretty bad stuff if you so desire.

Spoiler: spoilers (click to show/hide)

I realize this probably doesn't meet the requirements in the OP due to there being no clear definitions of who's the moral good guys or bad guys in Choice of Robots, but you can play some bad dudes if you choose to. Also I took the time to type this out so this is getting posted anyway.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2015, 11:36:31 pm »

Age of Decadence - kinda encouraged to backstab and never show mercy to your enemies, particularly if you're playing an assassin. To a ridiculous extent, really. It's like everyone's out to use you and everyone lies to you, so you end up doing the same.
Huh, I did not know that this was out since 2013...

EDIT: Ah, still early access.  Nevermind then.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2015, 11:44:09 pm »

To be fair, AoD was in development and playable long before EA became a thing. It's probably more complete than a lot of games on there.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2015, 04:48:14 am »

Custer's Revenge

EDIT: If you want a serious answer, as an antag in SS13, you're technically a bad guy.
Or quite not technically. Things like forcing a timid co-worker to cannibalize another of your co-workers you murdered, at gunpoint.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2015, 04:55:05 am »

What about ye good olde Harvester, an adventure game from the late nineties? You can kill everyone if you feel like it in variously sadistic ways.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11